Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I got a nice Extron SW4 AR Autoswitch to switch my different sources for my Barco 801s.

I have three sources (it's OK the switch can handle four) but the unit seems to be stuck in Autoswitch mode. So if all the sources are powered up, it will only select the last one, no matter what I do. As soon as it detects a sync signal it will autoswitch to the "highest" port on it.

It is an older model of the SW4 AR. I checked on Extron site and downloaded the documentation for the SW4 AR MX. The picture has in the back a nice "auto/manual" button. Mine does not. The doc says that if you hold the button #1 for more than two seconds you can swith mode. Mine does not. On the other end, there are some dip switches inside the box. There is a block of six dip switches and I was wondering if there is a combination that would allow the switch to operate in Manual mode. while still accepting RS-232 command so that it can be remote controlled. I don't want to take a chance and play around with the dip switches and end up with a useless box... Would anyone know how to set them?

Thanks!

Sylvain Dumas

·
Registered
398 Posts
Call Extron tech support. My experience is they are great. I think they even have an 800 number.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, and I did call them.

Here is the answer I got (which I do not believe in totally...)

"The SW4 AR Autoswitch is an older model and can only be used in Autoswitch mode". I don't buy that. There are four buttons on the front to select the input you want. You also have an RS-232 connector in the back for remote control. So why in hell would you want to put those buttons and connectors on if they have no effect? She responded that this was the way those switches were built. But she didn't have the documentation and could not tell me what those dip switches were for.

If anyone have one of those switches, would you know if it would be dangerous to flip the dip switches randomly until you find the correct combination, or that would be madness to even try (ie.: fry the unit...).

Thanks!

Sylvain Dumas

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't by it either. Maybe try again and get a different tech?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.