AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a new projector and the guy threw in a Extron RGB 120P with it. Anyone care to clue me in as to what this thing is used for?

Thanks

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Gatherer, I am still not sure what this thing does (call me dense, or maybe it is to early in the morning). I have had someone ask to buy this from me. Will it come in handy with my G70? Or should I make another forum member happy?

·
Registered
711 Posts
The Extron RGB 120p is a universal interface that was designed to mate almost any RGB source to a display device. It can output RGBs, RGBHV, and RGsB signals with sync passthrough or force negative sync. It also has horizontal and vertical centering controls, variable signal gain, and peaking control. The peaking control can help make up for high frequency losses found in very long cable runs, not normally an issue in home theater.

Your Sony VPH-G70 projector is specified for 0.7Vp-p for the RGB input. This matches the output of computer video cards and STB's with RGB output. The reason many people want these units is their ability to add gain and force negative sync. Barco projector require negative sync for their 5-BNC RGB inputs, and many Barco and Electrohome projectors are specified with 1.0Vp-p RGB inputs, so they benefit from the gain this unit can add.

Bottom line: Unless you have a really long cable run or an unusual source to interface to, you probably don't have a lot of use for this.

·
Registered
16,797 Posts
The Extron interface can actually improve your image when tuned properly however seeing as you have a G-70 I am not certain that you would want to use it as it can cause some noise in the image . If you are using an HTPC then I would highly recommend the MP-1 mod over any Extron Interface .

-- Jason Berg

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mysphyt,

Thank you for the very thorough response. Looks like I will be selling it to a fellow AVS member. I am floor mounted and my cable run is quite short so I don't think it will be useful to me.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Moe with the G70 you will have no Probs with sync I run me cable 10 metres

Thats why I mention the barco

Chris Collins done a great review

Yes I would sell it put the amount towards some good cables

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.