AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My company just ordered it's first DVS 406 Scaler. It should be in by the first of next week and I can't start wiring the equipment rack until the end of the following week. I'm planning on putting it through it's paces for my own use, but are there any testing requests? We have all kinds of sources and displays at the shop.

Tim

·
Registered
274 Posts
Absolutely!

Try and kill it. ;) Test everything ;)

Seriously, though....

Dizzman has given me much information about the thing... but I would still like someone to corroborate what he's saying. Some of my interests in the box:

1> Aspect ratio control --- in general, is it sufficient? Can you squeeze a 4:3 source for anamorphic projection?

2> DVD --- I'd like to hear how well it handles scaling for DVD sources from component video... and if you have SDI available, it would be cool to hear about that too.

3> HDTV --- I'm told it can transcode HD component signals to RGBHV or it can pass native RGBHV. I'd like to hear how well it performs in both categories.

4> Are there any output resolutions NOT listed on the specs on their web site? Specifically 1365x1024 and 1366x768?

For the price that little sucker (on paper) seems to be a good machine. I'm anxious to hear how other people feel about it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I will see what I can do. We aren't getting the SDI version. So I can't test that and I don't have an HD source. Everything else I can take care of.

Anyone else?

Tim

·
Registered
274 Posts
Great!

I look forward to it!

·
Registered
410 Posts
"1> Aspect ratio control --- in general, is it sufficient? Can you squeeze a 4:3 source for anamorphic projection? "

Yes, I think so. I have use it with the Panamorph with no problem, you can rezise and center the picture without problem.

"2> DVD --- I'd like to hear how well it handles scaling for DVD sources from component video... and if you have SDI available, it would be cool to hear about that too. "

Yes, it can handle component from progressive dvd, but I think it looks better using 480i.......no I don't have the model with SDI

"3> HDTV --- I'm told it can transcode HD component signals to RGBHV or it can pass native RGBHV. I'd like to hear how well it performs in both categories."

Component to RGBHV? yes, I've made a test using the sony 9000 progressive dvd as a source to th 406 and then I use the 480p RGBHV output from the 406 to the Faroudja

5000 and scale to 1080P with the Faroudja :p

"4> Are there any output resolutions NOT listed on the specs on their web site? Specifically 1365x1024 and 1366x768?"

406 do not do 1365 X 1024 @ 72Hz but only @ 60Hz

I will add one more question: Is the 406 the perfect scaler?

I don't think so....while wathching concerts dvd the picture break for a very short moment from time to time even using it @ 60Hz and with a crt pj. The adjustment for bright and contrast are no so ease to set correctly, there is a point where the picture is correct but if you move the setting just a little you can loose the pludge using AVIA dvd. I got the best picture using the AVIA gray ramp and ajusted using a scope at the output of the 406

Federico

·
Registered
274 Posts
Wow, thanks!

Just out of curiosity, what other scalers (besdies the Faroudja 5K) have you had a chance to play around with?

Thx

·
Registered
410 Posts
Other scalers?

Cristal Image, DVDO, Faroudja 3000 and 5000, Quadscan, Extron 7SC.

HTPC with Gforce, and with Mpact2.

One time I had the chance to play with the Rock, but I think that there was something wrong with the scaler or maybe we had other problems with the installation and the owner sended it back, so I don't take it into account. I will love to get one to test.

Federico

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It just arrived. On the outside it looks very industrial...like all Extron products. I played with the menus, and they are fairly intuitive (most Extron products are similar), but I don't understand the memories, keying and the fading. I guess I'm going to have to open the manual. I hate that.

More posts to follow.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The memory presets will allow you to save the sizing and centering information (3 settings per input/scaled inputs only). This will allow you to have different sized presets for 3:4 and 16:9 material, etc. You can select them very easily from the front panel.

Keying is probably not going to be used in an HT environment. Remember this unit is design for both HT and commercial. This allows for an overlay of input one. An example is if you have a powerpoint with light/bright letters on a black background, those letters can overlay over another input, like a camera of DVD.

Fade (AKA Dissolve). The DVS 406 can be set up so that you can have a seamless switch (cut or dissolve/fade) from input one to any of the scaled video sources. The scaled output can be set to match the resolution and rates of input one, thus enabling the seamless switch.

This info is from the manual which is downloadable from Extron's web-site.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I know what you mean tim... after all, reading a manual is a sign of weakness. It means you were not smart enough to figure out the thing in the first place.

Seriously though, i have always found some of the things you learn from manuals amazing. I don't know how many times i have read a manual and found myself going WOW... IT DOES THAT... I NEVER KNEW!

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm bumping this to see if we can get a report from Tim on how the 406 performed.

Perhaps there's someone else out there with one that wouldn't mind sharing a few words?

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I have one on the way also, but not for me to use. I'm getting one from Extron to add a driver to my CQC control product. Since Extron uses a common serial control protocol across most of their new scalers and switchers, this driver should work for the other Extron scalers as well. I might actually play around with it in my system a bit, but if its complex to set up, I might not bother, since I'm always hurting for time.

Extron, unlike most other companies, has been very supportive of me in my efforts. They understand that expanding their market requires supporting people who are trying to add value to their products. They have gone out of their way to provide me with equipment to develop drivers for.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
"Extron, unlike most other companies, has been very supportive..."

Extron could write a book on customer support. They are in my top 3 list of the best hi grade manufacturers on this planet.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Glade
I'm bumping this to see if we can get a report from Tim on how the 406 performed.

Perhaps there's someone else out there with one that wouldn't mind sharing a few words?
I just got a DVS406-D (with SDI input card) a couple weeks ago, but am still waiting for my Immersive SDI-mod DVD player to really see what it can do. Unfortunately, UPS mananged to mangle the first DVD player on its way back from Immersive to me. Now waiting for the replacement.

My previous scaler was the built-in one in my Runco 943 projector, so I really have no high-end scaler experience to compare the 406 to.

For me, the most obvious difference so far is that I can *finally* scale 480p! The Runco's built-in scaler only worked w/ S-video or composite. It was always bypassed for component or RGB. So watching 480p component input meant painfully obvious scan lines on my 120" screen. I couldn't stand it, and would always go back to scaled S-Video.

But now I send 480p thru the DVS406 with the output set to 1024x768 and the picture is smoother than I've ever seen it - no visible lines. Of course, scaling 480p should (hopefully) be a moot point when that SDI player finally gets here...

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hi folks

What is the average price of the 406? I live in UK so the cost to us Brits would be nice, but as everything is so much cheaper in the US, or practically anywhere in the world, I'd always buy outside the country anyway!! So the $ price is fine?

Cheers Kane

·
Registered
274 Posts
Jason @ avscience ([email protected]) can give you a pretty good price on any Extron product.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Has anybody tried the Extron 204? Looks like a lot of the same as the 406 but wont transcode HDTV to RGBHV and won't take 480p. It will (apparently) however, scale and process an RGB with composite sync. Also has the optional SDI input.

Just trying to think about the future. They make a box to take DVI and convert to RGB which I could then feed to the 204 if DirectTV and the cable folk end up deciding on DVI outputs as it currently appears.

Thoughts, experience?

·
Registered
117 Posts
The DVS204's RGB input does nothing to the signal except pass it through. It is there as an additional input that can be switched along with the scaled video.

The DVS204 is not out yet. It will be out in about a month.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.