AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing an ad for "Drum Line" and the fact my children are into musical instruments as well as professional Cheerleading, all sports, etc. I thought this would be a good flick for the family. The PG13 rating helps, and the storyline was great (think "Remember the Titan's" of marching bands)

The real bonus on this film is the OUTSTANDING visual transfer, in fact I think it was a DVD release only, don't recall a theatrical run. The soundtrack is awesome (really made my bass shakers ROCK!) I highly recommend you watch this flick for the sheer audio/visual quality. I run DVI at 1280/720p and imho the video quality matches the best that HD-NET has ever shown. The future of HD-DVD is coming, but this is DAMN close.

Enjoy!:)

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gmanhdtv
I think it was a DVD release only, don't recall a theatrical run.
No, it actually had a successful theatrical run, grossing $12.604 million it's opening weekend, and $56.335 millions through it's US run. Not bad for a film that cost $20 million.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Saw it on my Plasma and its definitely show off disc for me-amazing PQ

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Matt, I would make another plasma and picture quality joke for you, but I take it you're very proud of your purchase. ;)

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
"Matt, I would make another plasma and picture quality joke for you, but I take it you're very proud of your purchase"

:)

Nich

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Come on guys let me have it.Two people with the same exact thoughts.I'm going to get flamed in stereo.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I watched this last night, I agree very good PQ and VERY entertaining, I was blasting it!

However, it was still DVD quality. All of the strong colors really make this pop, I can only imagine what this would look like in HD.

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gmanhdtv
I run DVI at 1280/720p and imho the video quality matches the best that HD-NET has ever shown.

Enjoy!:)
With all due respect, I find it hard to take these type of comments seriously. No matter how well scaled, you can't make something out of nothing. I am glad you enjoyed it that much. That is all that matters.:)

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Kipp:

Sorry to burst your DVD bubble, but my HTPC didn't make something out of nothing, anymore than gmanhdtv's did.

This DVD is the product of either a new and completely different telecine process or a completely new and different compression process.

Either way it is without a doubt the BEST looking live action DVD I have ever seen. What makes this doubly amazing is that it is a 2.40:1 A.R. anamorphic DVD which means it has less vertical resolution to begin with due to the black bars.

I watched this on a 5' x 12' screen sitting about 15' feet away and it is absolutely amazing. Oh yeah, the sound is pretty good too!

Vern

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Vern Dias
Kipp:

I watched this on a 5' x 12' screen sitting about 15' feet away and it is absolutely amazing.

Vern
Curious what pj/screen combo you're using. That's a MIGHTY big screen you're trying to fill.

htomei

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Vern, I don't think there is any new telecine process on this dvd. It's just there are so many of the same vibrant bright colors with either night backgrounds or mainly solid color backgrounds that it just "pops" like animation DVDs. During the "normal" scenes, it's just that. Bring it on & Austin Powers for example, while not quite as good of transfers, have the same feel to it IMO.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
DRS:

Pay special attention to the detail of objects in the background. There is clearly more detail in those background objects than usual. This detail is independent of the color. Look at the pores on the actors faces, there is real detail there.

htomei:

http://webpages.charter.net/tvdias/

Vern

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
bought it just from you guys recommendation...i saw it in best buy on a widescreen tv and that blew me away..i think i'll show it this weekend.

brickie

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Vern,

Ok, I'll look at it again tonight. On a side note, I watched some of Se7en (plat. ed.) last night and that is a tremendous transfer, especially considering how dark the film is.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Well I watched Drumline last night.

What a nice surprise ! The movie was really good and the PQ was OUTSTANDING. You guys were not kidding !!! :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
This was a good movie...I was impressed, start to finish !

And on my Mits 65 HDTV...the colors just jump off my screen .

How can you spend $15.00 bucks any better ? Not one gun or a knife

or drop of blood to be seen in this.

·
Registered
369 Posts
so what's with the review on dvdfile ...

Quote:
Detail, however, is just pretty good, and there are some issues with too much edge enhancement, which results in obvious halos. I also noticed a few patches of compression artifacting that pop up every once in a while. It's too bad, for aside from these problems, Drumline looks quite good.
no offence, but i've seen this before on this forum. everyone thinks a dvd looks "outstanding" (shrek, star wars ii), then the truth comes along later that the dvd had flaws and wasn't that "outstanding".

i'm not falling for that old trick again :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yep - I fell for it. Bought it today at lunch and watched it tonight. Overall kind of disappointed. The movie was fine, but the audio/video quality was not by any means the best I have heard/seen from a DVD. Too much EE and my bass shakers didn't pound like I would have expected.

I am running prog. scan and at times it appeared interlaced on the screen. Shots of the crowd were horrible - crowds looked better in Forrest Gump and those were faceless paintings.

Bring it On had much better "pop" to the colors. A lot more eye candy too.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Buckeye, what display did you watch it on and what DVD player did you use?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AndyM

no offence, but i've seen this before on this forum. everyone thinks a dvd looks "outstanding" (shrek, star wars ii), then the truth comes along later that the dvd had flaws and wasn't that "outstanding".

What were the flaws in Shrek?....on my 65" Mits and Denon 1600 it looks so 3-D that its like watching through a window...very close to HD.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.