AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently use the Spyder2 with Calman V3.2 to calibrate my Panasonic Plasma 50pz800u. The Spyder2 seems to give such inconsistent and erratic results below 30% that it is almost useless below that point.

I have read the Eye-One LT is much better at low levels than the Spyder, but have also read varying opinions on the accuracy of the I1 on plasma displays.

I don't really do enough calibrations to warrant a more expensive meter than the Eye-one LT. Usually just when I purchase new equipment and to touch up calibrations every so often.

2 questions:

1. Would the I1 LT be good on plasma?

2. In your opinion, is it's accuracy over the Spyder2 worth the $135 purchase price?

Thanks,

Duke

·
Registered
713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrduke /forum/post/15576972

I currently use the Spyder2 with Calman V3.2 to calibrate my Panasonic Plasma 50pz800u. The Spyder2 seems to give such inconsistent and erratic results below 30% that it is almost useless below that point.

I have read the Eye-One LT is much better at low levels than the Spyder, but have also read varying opinions on the accuracy of the I1 on plasma displays.

I don't really do enough calibrations to warrant a more expensive meter than the Eye-one LT. Usually just when I purchase new equipment and to touch up calibrations every so often.

2 questions:

1. Would the I1 LT be good on plasma?

2. In your opinion, is it's accuracy over the Spyder2 worth the $135 purchase price?

Thanks,

Duke

Bump... I'm also interested in a good color meter for plasma

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No one interested in giving an opinion on this? I know there is a lot out there on these meters already, but there seems to be some differences in viewpoints. Just thought I'd see if there was any new interest.

Duke

·
Registered
468 Posts
Have you read the the greyscale guide for dummies or the meter guide?

I went with the Display2/Calman Bundle. I am very happy with my purchase and have calibrated numerous displays.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post15597348
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11436

Based on the above information, Spyder meters are not made to a consistent standard. Some of them can be extremely accurate while others may not be. The only way to know is to compare it to a known accurate meter.

I would say it is worth the cost. I am surprised that you did not take advantage of the display2/calman bundle. Did you purchase Calman recently? Perhaps you could ask them if you could upgrade to the dispaly2/calman bundle package and just pay the difference for a display2 meter.

Daniel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts