AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a chance to get an eye-one pro at a VERY low price but it is UV cut (second hand). Will this have a detremental effect on DLP front projector calibration. Would it still be better then say a new spyder 3 or an eye-one display 2? I am new to this and just want make sure I have the best tools I can afford as I know that I will use them on a regular basis. If you know anything that might help, please advise as the window for purchase is limited!!

Many ta's

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
thanks for the advice mate. I guess I will (its almost worth buying to sell on)...but there aint gonna be any i1pros in my price range anytime soon

next best? eye-one display 2?

·
Registered
18 Posts
This question has been asked a few times, if the UV cut filter on an I1 would affect readings when doing calibration..

Spectra-cal stated it would...

However I posed the question to X-rite and this is the response I recieved from them:

Product: i1Pro

Symptom: Does UV filter affect emissive readings?

Proposed Resolution: No, the UV-cut filter in the i1Pro is specifically designed to allow emissive measurements to pass through. You will get an accurate monitor calibration with or with out the filter.

At this point I do not know who to believe, the manufacturer of the product, or the people selling calibration software.. at the time when I was purchasing calman, I had access to an i1pro with the uv-cut filter.. I had asked spectracal if I could use the meter and was told no, and so I ended up purchasing an i1d2 from them along with the software... was I fed this line just to increase my purchase?

I have since ditched my i1d2 as it always read reds very high, and calibrated using an i1pro wih uv-cut (I have access to several of them, some brand new and some used) and always had good consistent results..

·
Registered
118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisyng /forum/post/18210760

This question has been asked a few times, if the UV cut filter on an I1 would affect readings when doing calibration..

Spectra-cal stated it would...

However I posed the question to X-rite and this is the response I recieved from them:

Product: i1Pro

Symptom: Does UV filter affect emissive readings?

Proposed Resolution: No, the UV-cut filter in the i1Pro is specifically designed to allow emissive measurements to pass through. You will get an accurate monitor calibration with or with out the filter.

At this point I do not know who to believe, the manufacturer of the product, or the people selling calibration software.. at the time when I was purchasing calman, I had access to an i1pro with the uv-cut filter.. I had asked spectracal if I could use the meter and was told no, and so I ended up purchasing an i1d2 from them along with the software... was I fed this line just to increase my purchase?

I have since ditched my i1d2 as it always read reds very high, and calibrated using an i1pro wih uv-cut (I have access to several of them, some brand new and some used) and always had good consistent results..

I do believe my eyes and instuments. I don't see the difference.

Who said that i1Pro UVcut is defective for monitor/projector calibration? - Wow, where are your comparisions? Did you compare them indeed?

Once more again I say: there is no difference.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Kokap, I am completely agreeing with you. UV-Cut does not effect readings on the i1pro. I was just stating my frustration that I was told by spectracal (in an email from L.A Heberlein) that the uv-cut filter was not going to work and so I ended up having to spend more money purchasing a different calibrator through them when I could have used the one I had already.

searching the forum on this topic, you will find that spectracal comes out and states a few times uv-cut filters should be used, however I sometimes suspect that the reason they state this is that it would cut into their hardware sales of new calibrators since there are alot of people who have access to an i1 with uv-cut...

·
Registered
118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisyng /forum/post/18211008

Kokap, I am completely agreeing with you. UV-Cut does not effect readings on the i1pro. I was just stating my frustration that I was told by spectracal (in an email from L.A Heberlein) that the uv-cut filter was not going to work and so I ended up having to spend more money purchasing a different calibrator through them when I could have used the one I had already.

searching the forum on this topic, you will find that spectracal comes out and states a few times uv-cut filters should be used, however I sometimes suspect that the reason they state this is that it would cut into their hardware sales of new calibrators since there are alot of people who have access to an i1 with uv-cut...

Yeah, SpectraCal do sell only i1Pro (without UVcut). Maybe that is the reason?

BTW i1Pro UVcut is cheaper than i1Pro.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokap /forum/post/18211236

Yeah, SpectraCal do sell only i1Pro (without UVcut). Maybe that is the reason?

BTW i1Pro UVcut is cheaper than i1Pro.

Yes we do sell the i1Pro without UV cut because that is what we get from X-Rite for our industry. Also for the record we make more money on the sale of just software than hardware so our motivation is always getting someone into the best hardware solution, even if that means buying the hardware somewhere else.

Now as for w/wo UV Cut there is some confusion as to what we support and don't with the i1Pro. We support all modes including spot measurements which the UV cut make a difference. For just emissive it does not matter which i1Pro you have. We do have a number of customers that use the spot measurement mode for paint matching, testing screen material, etc so that is why we recommend you get a i1Pro without UV cut because the one with UV cut is designed for print material.

·
Registered
12,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjsmith /forum/post/18211339

For just emissive it does not matter which i1Pro you have. We do have a number of customers that use the spot measurement mode for paint matching, testing screen material, etc so that is why we recommend you get a i1Pro without UV cut because the one with UV cut is designed for print material.

I'm a bit confused... if "for just emissive it does not matter which i1Pro you have," then why recommend a i1Pro without UV cut for display calibration? Wouldn't both types be equally suitable?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Derek is saying that the one with UV cut is inapplicable for our purposes. If inventory is held and I sold to two groups of people, print and display, no point in depleting stock on an item designed for print people to display calibrators.

·
Registered
441 Posts
For emissive targets (displays, projectors) there's no difference between the UVcut and NoFilter. If you compare the removable black plastic head you will see there is a hole in the UVcut filter to allow the same light sources through, the UVcut filter is used to filter UV from the internal i1Pro tungsten light source but not from incoming light sources.

For reflective targets the main problem with UV and print is that some papers have optical brighteners added to it to convert UV to blue light via fluorescence to boost the appearance of whiteness in the paper source. However, depending on where the print is viewed you have a variable level of UV light which would mean the image would be off if you assumed no UV when there really was UV adding a blue tint to the image.

Newer software (i1 Match 3.6, ProfileMaker 5) now corrects for this by detecting it and then building profiles to handle it (with some estimates). Older software or custom built software using the i1Pro as OEM hardware may not and therefore would benefit from having the UVcut i1Pro to avoid having the fluorescence confuse the profile.

I'd like to see X-Rite provide both heads (or allow a removable filter) since it's fairly cheap and would let the person choose which to use depending on situation. Also, the ColorMunki is essentially UVcut due to the LED light source having no (or nearly no) UV output.

Worth also reading Argyll's FWA document to see what they think. From a programming perspective it's easier to have the data available so you can compensate rather than filtering it out whereupon you have no data available to compensate.

Having followed this for a while it appears companies and people change their minds about whether UVcut or NoFilter is appropriate. I'd say for the home user it's easiest to go UVcut to avoid issues, however for a pro it's better to go with NoFilter since they would reason to use the expanded range of data (including UV light source) to then appropriately build profiles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well I aint that a B**ch!!! Missed out on a i1pro uv cut for 80 bucks and would have done the trick. Thanks for all input guys

·
Registered
12,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanyP321 /forum/post/18221530

well I aint that a B**ch!!! Missed out on a i1pro uv cut for 80 bucks and would have done the trick. Thanks for all input guys

$80 for an i1Pro? Was it out of calibration or in need of repair? Maintenance would likely have easily exceeded $80, especially if it needed repair and couldn't just be re-calibrated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts