AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought a Samsung UN60F7100 LCD TV two weeks ago and my wife has started noticing that her eyes are getting strained and she gets a head ache after about an hour of TV watching. This is with the back light turned down to 3, so I don't think it's a "too bright" problem.

In our previous place we used to have a projector setup but where we are now there's just too much daylight pouring in to do that again.

So I was wondering if maybe a plasma TV would be easier on the eyes. Any comments or suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Harry

·
Registered
17,954 Posts
Do you use some sort of bias light behind the tv or do you watch it in a dark room with the only light being the light from the tv?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We don't have any light source setup behind the TV, however, there's usually a light on of some sorts while we're watching.

Thanks,

Harry

·
Registered
391 Posts
I recommend checking your contrast setting as well as brightness. I used to find that if my contrast was set too high on certain sets that my eyes would gradually feel fatigue. This would occur even on a low backlight setting. Another area to look at is the color setting you are using. A cooler color setting may also lead to more fatigue. Have you attempted to calibrate your set? What picture mode are you using (Standard, Movie, Dynamic, etc.)?

·
Registered
17,954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Muscle  /t/1511007/eye-strain-from-samsung-f7100/0_20#post_24190472

We don't have any light source setup behind the TV, however, there's usually a light on of some sorts while we're watching.

Thanks,

Harry

Ok. Quite often eye strain is due to watching tv in a totally dark room which is one of the reasons why bias lights are recommended. You might want to get a calibration disk like the free AVS HD709 disk and adjust your settings based on the REC. 709 patterns for your viewing environment. You won't be calibrating your tv but the adjustments might increase the pq and reduce the strain by properly setting the brightness and contrast.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by biznus97  /t/1511007/eye-strain-from-samsung-f7100#post_24190546

I recommend checking your contrast setting as well as brightness. I used to find that if my contrast was set too high on certain sets that my eyes would gradually feel fatigue. This would occur even on a low backlight setting. Another area to look at is the color setting you are using. A cooler color setting may also lead to more fatigue. Have you attempted to calibrate your set? What picture mode are you using (Standard, Movie, Dynamic, etc.)?

I'm using the Standard picture mode. However, I think the contract on that mode is set quite high so I'm gonna try turning it down and see if that helps.

Thanks,

Harry

·
Registered
1,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Muscle  /t/1511007/eye-strain-from-samsung-f7100#post_24191093

I'm using the Standard picture mode. However, I think the contract on that mode is set quite high so I'm gonna try turning it down and see if that helps.

Thanks,

Harry

When we got our first large LCD, a Samsung LN52A860, we had similar eyestrain. However, even before I finally got it calibrated, I switched to Movie mode, turned down the backlight to 30% of max, lowered contrast slightly, lowered sharpness to 20, turned off Dynamic Contrast and any noise filters. Problem solved. Subsequent calibration made only teeny changes in some settings.

That's what we use for evening viewing in a somewhat darkened room. Sometimes I switch to a similarly de-tuned Standard mode for sporting events or in a bright sunlit room.

Check the F7100 thread to see what owners are using. There are two threads for your model.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We bought a Samsung UN60F7100 LCD TV two weeks ago and my wife has started noticing that her eyes are getting strained and she gets a head ache after about an hour of TV watching. This is with the back light turned down to 3, so I don't think it's a "too bright" problem.

In our previous place we used to have a projector setup but where we are now there's just too much daylight pouring in to do that again.

So I was wondering if maybe a plasma TV would be easier on the eyes. Any comments or suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Harry
I have the H71xx series and unfortunately it is a LED based problem. Wrote about this here:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1795578-lcd-led-eye-fatigue-strain.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts