AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all.

Ill be going for a holiday to NYC in a few weeks, and through lack of being able to find one here, Im wondering if anyone knows if the Eyeone Pro Calibrator is available at stores somewhere in NYC, downtown Manhattan, etc.

If I can get one there, I might be able to save myself some money and bring it back with me.

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
3,587 Posts
If you don't find it in a store, you could order the CalMAN/i1-Pro bundle from Spectracal and have it shipped to your hotel or house you will be staying in addressed to you with "hold for arrival" as part of the address.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys.

Doug, I didnt think about getting it shipped to a hotel.

Do you have an idea of how long it usually takes to deliver a product in the US via normal freight? Ill be in NYC for 11 days.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamoSyzygy /forum/post/17058953

Thanks for the advice guys.

Doug, I didnt think about getting it shipped to a hotel.

Do you have an idea of how long it usually takes to deliver a product in the US via normal freight? Ill be in NYC for 11 days.

We ship same day via Priority mail out of Seattle, WA. To NYC it should only take 3-4 days.

·
Banned
3,587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamoSyzygy /forum/post/17064075

I love America already...

Now I just have to find out whos cheapest!

Don't forget that if you purchase the meter in a store in NY, you will pay sales tax that is not included in advertising or a price quote you get by Email... so if they say $800 for the meter, you will pay at least 8.25% sales tax in NY (it might be a little higher in New York City).

When you purchase something by mail and the mail-order company is not in the same state, there is no sales tax. So ControlCAL+i1Pro shipped from Washington state to New York state... there is no sales tax. But if you purchase the i1Pro in a store in NY, you will pay sales tax.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Many stores that do not have physical outlets in the state where the product is being shipped collect and pay taxes for the products sold there. You should confirm with a particular store if they collect taxes for out of state sales or not. I make frequent purchases from stores which are out of state and still pay sales tax on these items.

·
Banned
3,587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghibliss /forum/post/17068938

Many stores that do not have physical outlets in the state where the product is being shipped collect and pay taxes for the products sold there. You should confirm with a particular store if they collect taxes for out of state sales or not. I make frequent purchases from stores which are out of state and still pay sales tax on these items.

Oh, right, after I moved from NY, NY started bullying mail-order retailers to charge NY sales tax on sales mailed to NY state. I'm not sure if they are all doing it or not or whether Spectracal is charging NY sales tax - worth asking if you really want to know. There are some mail order retailers who are ignoring NY state's sales tax, but others are complying (from what I've heard).

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Reimbursed by whom? The likely scenario is, you buy it there you pay the sales tax. There is no differential from those who live there and those who don't. By that logic, anyone visiting from outside the state (US citizen or not) or outside of the city for that matter (as sales tax often incurs a township surcharge) shouldn't have to pay the tax.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I wasnt sure - thats why I was asking...

Most overseas tourists enjoy the benfit of duty-free shopping when they travel, and overseas citizens would be reimbursed our goods and service tax via the TRS (Tourist Refund Scheme) in Australia if they bought something worth over $300 here - provided they took it back sealed as hand luggage on the plane with them.

I figured there was a similar scheme in place for the US?

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamoSyzygy /forum/post/17093265

I believe there is a similar thing, though I expect the process is neither easy nor speedy.

Sales Taxes are built upon the idea of "nexus", generally a physical location in a State. If a business has nexus in a State, then the business is responsible for collecting the tax. If not, then it is up to the buyer to remit the appropriate tax, which never happens. New York has managed to expand the concept of nexus to include NY-based virtual affiliates of big e-tailers like Amazon. This is a case that will play itself out over the next few years. That being said, Amazon's normal (economy) shipping to NYC is typically next-day, so there is some good from it!

Standard disclaimer: I am neither a lawyer nor a CPA. Rely on the above advice at your own peril.

Bill

·
Registered
2,189 Posts

Quote:

Most overseas tourists enjoy the benfit of duty-free shopping when they travel, and overseas citizens would be reimbursed our goods and service tax via the TRS (Tourist Refund Scheme) in Australia if they bought something worth over $300 here - provided they took it back sealed as hand luggage on the plane with them.

There is if you buy from a small shop. If you buy several items, they can ship one small item to your home and you can hand carry the remainder of the items. We did that once at a manufacturing company in another state. We did final inspection on a custom part and took it with us to our company.

·
Banned
3,587 Posts

Quote:

As far as I know, international travelers to the US can shop duty-/tax-free only in "Duty Free" stores which are almost always located in airports or ship terminals. Prices on goods in those stores are almost always higher than the prices you will find in many stores, so there is no real savings for someone who knows the cost of a bottle of liquor or perfume in other stores. The USA doesn't have a national "sales tax" (so far) and there aren't many consumer products that have an import duty. Sales taxes are administered by states and cities or counties (sometimes all 3 get a portion of the sales tax).

But you should be able to confirm whether there is any other opportunity to shop without taxes by doing an online search.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Doug.

Does anyone know if there are any stores within NYC where I could physically go into the store and grab one without having to worry about freight and deliveries to hotels?

I only ask because I'm going to be so floored with whats going on around me I'm likely to forget ordering it

·
Registered
5,668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamoSyzygy /forum/post/17119734

Thanks Doug.

Does anyone know if there are any stores within NYC where I could physically go into the store and grab one without having to worry about freight and deliveries to hotels?

I only ask because I'm going to be so floored with whats going on around me I'm likely to forget ordering it

B&H photo. They also have a website.

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamoSyzygy /forum/post/17119734

Thanks Doug.

If you are staying near Times Square, B&H os definitely an easy walk. That being said, stores can be quite busy and you can order ahead of time for delivery to your hotel. If you are into camera equipment, then it is definitely a store to see, but I'd put shopping low on my priority list for an international vacation.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts