AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another thread (which I can't link to) points me at using eye-hooks and chain for mounting a pull-down screen under a dropped ceiling. But here's the catch: Our joists run left to right, and I assume (without measuring) that they're roughly 18" on center. The pictures I've seen all suggest screwing the eye-hooks into the bottom of the joist. This is likely to wind up putting the screen 6 to 12 inches closer to the seating than I'd prefer.

Is there any reason not to screw the eye-hooks into the sides of the joist? Or any better suggestions?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
Another thread (which I can't link to) points me at using eye-hooks and chain for mounting a pull-down screen under a dropped ceiling. But here's the catch: Our joists run left to right, and I assume (without measuring) that they're roughly 18" on center. The pictures I've seen all suggest screwing the eye-hooks into the bottom of the joist. This is likely to wind up putting the screen 6 to 12 inches closer to the seating than I'd prefer.

Is there any reason not to screw the eye-hooks into the sides of the joist? Or any better suggestions?

Many thanks.
Adjustment comes to mind. The screen must be LEVEL and Plumb. 1/8" off in length between left and right will translate a bigger difference on the screen.. Having the hooks in the bottom allows you adjustment up and down on each chain. If you go into the side consider adding some type of turnbuckle to allow you to adjust the length of the chains.
Good luck!

·
Registered
32,865 Posts

Many thanks.
Screw (don't use nails) wood blocking on the bottom of the joists, if you have room. If you do not have room to do this, due to the drop ceiling, then screw wood blocking between the joists. Then you can mount the screen anywhere you want.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Screw (don't use nails) wood blocking on the bottom of the joists, if you have room. If you do not have room to do this, due to the drop ceiling, then screw wood blocking between the joists. Then you can mount the screen anywhere you want.
Do you mean something like running a 1x3 perpendicularly across the bottom of two joists? Or maybe a piece of plywood?

Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts