AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw this:

http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file...updates_eyetv2

I don't think it fixes the kernel panic due to the optical audio out though....

from the readme file, here's what's fixed:

What's new in EyeTV 2.4.1?

Bug Fixes

Hardware

A reception problem with EyeTV Diversity while operating in diversity mode has been corrected.

EyeTV Hybrid: A problem with recordings using the DVD (High) preset on Intel Macs has been fixed.

EyeTV Hybrid: A problem with recordings using the VCD preset on single PowerPC Macs has been fixed.

Exports

A problem with overscanning that resulted in artefacts on exports to iPod and PSP has been resolved.

A problem starting with QuickTime 7.1.6 where recordings exported to AAC Audio did not get copied onto iPods has been resolved.

A problem where exports to iMovie HD with 720p content failed immediately has been fixed.

DVB Radio recordings' metadata was transposed on exports to iPod, this has been corrected.

When exported to Apple TV or iPod, the description text field of EyeTV recordings is now placed into iTunes' Comments field instead of iTunes' Description field, in order to remain editable within iTunes.

A problem where the iPod button didn't automatically synchronize DVB radio recordings to iPod has been resolved.

Playback

Recordings and live TV signals in MPEG-4 format from hardware with a WIS encoder chip would lose audio-video synchronization after 20 minutes, this has been corrected.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogue900 /forum/post/0

I don't think it fixes the kernel panic due to the optical audio out though....

What Kernel Panic? Mine panic'ed last night when I was playing one show while recording another. The panic log showed something related to digital audio.

I use the digital output running into my receiver in the Sound preferences. In order to get Dolby Digital from HD programming, I have to switch to Digital under the EyeTV audio menu. That's the state it was in when it panic'ed.

I don't leave it set to Digital all the time in EyeTV because it tends to fight with iTunes and any other application on my Mac that's trying to play sound.

Dennis

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts

Quote:
Will EyeTv ever fix the digital audio problems?

No.

El Gato doesn't consider this "their" problem at all. They've blamed Apple since at least last Summer, when these things first started popping up in threads here at AVS.

Quote:
I don't leave it set to Digital all the time in EyeTV because it tends to fight with iTunes and any other application on my Mac that's trying to play sound.

That's the best strategy, switch in and out of digital manually; not letting go of digital and the failure to sleep after recording are two other issues El Gato hasn't seen fit to address. Resting on their laurels and lack of market competition.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc /forum/post/0

El Gato doesn't consider this "their" problem at all. They've blamed Apple since at least last Summer, when these things first started popping up in threads here at AVS.

That's the best strategy, switch in and out of digital manually; not letting go of digital and the failure to sleep after recording are two other issues El Gato hasn't seen fit to address. Resting on their laurels and lack of market competition.

The problem is, for me at least, that the kernel panics happened when I was monkeying with the audio (switching between system & digital, or checking which one was active). Not touching the menu seems like the best policy...

And, BTW, I did send a dump to Apple, telling them that between Apple & Elgato they should fix the problem... You'd think that with the former CEO(?) of Elgato now working for Apple the two companies would cooperate better. Or maybe it is a 100% Elgato issue, in which case, shame on them.

One would think there will be competing DVR software soon, otherwise how can Miglia continue selling their devices?

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts

Quote:
The problem is, for me at least, that the kernel panics happened when I was monkeying with the audio (switching between system & digital, or checking which one was active). Not touching the menu seems like the best policy...

All I can tell you, Ted, is folks have been dealing with this for 8-9 months before you had your first panic--we've tried to test when it happens and reproduce it

For me, initially, it seemed I only got them when I was using the Apple remote to fast forward scan...then eventually I got one using the BT mouse. I switched external storage from firewire to USB to internal, swapped RAM in and out. I had thought I only got them when I was recording two high def shows and watching a third...then I got one when I was merely watching a show and not recording. Use your device enough, you'll realize it has little to do with how often you switch audio, whether you open up the program into digital or system, whether you leave EyeTV open all the time, whether you run 2.3.3 or 2.4, etc. It's happened to everyone, those with one device or a combination of tuners.

One good thing: I have yet to get a kernel panic while unattended recording, so when I wasn't also watching. Others have reported this, but it hasn't happened to me. During the last weeks of the TV season I was still using my LG3410A as insurance.

I think if you feel you've hit upon a strategy that works with your setup, stay with it.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Oh, I trust you completely. It does seem that the best strategy is recording on one Mac & watching on another, thus avoiding lost recordings. Thus there will always be a use for our Mac Minis no matter how outdated they get

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I've been using an older version of EyeTV on my Mini just to view some older HD recordings that I have. I recently purchased an EyeTV Hybrid and received the updated EyeTV2 software. First thing I'm noticing is a lack of the older Front Row menu popping up. There is a blue full screen menu, but not the older black EyeTV menu that pops up before you launch Front Row.

Was this an update in a recent revision, or am I missing something?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.