AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Hauppauge HD PVR and am working on how it fits into my life. My main use for it is to transfer/copy HD recordings that I have on my Dish VIP211k receiver, including sports events, historical events, concerts, perhaps movies, and some commercial projects that are not archived digitally. I do not anticipate using it to schedule recordings as the Dish receiver does that already.

For over the air recordings, I have an EyeTV 500 that I use with my Power Macintosh G5 with the EyeTV 2.5.3 software. I have not upgraded to version 3.3 because I have yet to see any compelling features in it and have just figured I'd wait until version 4.0 ships. I have about 3TB of HD recordings dating back to 2004 so I'm very likely to buy the EyeTV software upgrade at some point but not now unless it offers some feature that HDPVR Capture doesn't.

I'm probably also going to buy HDPVR Capture to capture with the Hauppauge device on the Power Mac G5 because it seems pretty seamless and the demo works very well. However, some of the stuff I want to capture has commercials that I'd like to edit out, similar to what I do with EyeTV now by marking segments for deletion and then saving out the file without the deleted segments.

If I capture in EyeTV 3, can I mark parts of the MP4 file and delete them using the compact command like I can with MPEG-2 files in EyeTV 2? Can I export as standard h.264 similar to what I can do with HDPVR Capture so the files are playable on the G5 or alternatively in iTunes on either Mac without going through a lengthy re-encoding process?

When I open an MP4 file in EyeTV 2.5.3, I don't seem to have an option of editing it. Alternatively, I'm could upgrade to Final Cut Studio and do my editing there as it will work with some MP4 file formats natively. Could I trim the commercials in iMovie given the nature of the audio files and Perian? What about Quicktime Player in Snow Leopard or Quicktime Player Pro in Leopard on the G5, is there a simple way to trim parts of an MP4 file without re-encoding.

Once I have the final MPEG-4 files, is anyone religious about using either iTunes or EyeTV as a video jukebox? In my current EyeTV library, I have about 600GB of MPEG-2 transport streams, and in my video iTunes library, I have about 90GB of MP4 video podcasts, video classes from iTunes U, video transcodes from EyeTV, TV shows and movies. Right now, my Dish receiver has about 500GB of recordings on it, but I probably wouldn't export them all, just a few I'd rather not lose.

I tend to like iTunes because I can share the files among computers and I hope to eventually be able to stream them to my iPad and perhaps an Apple TV. But EyeTV works great and certainly it is awesome for scheduling over the air content. The HD clips I captured from the Hauppauge also seemed to play back smoother in iTunes than in EyeTV. Quicktime Player also works well, but VLC will not play back the 1080i files smoothly.

I'm mostly an HD snob so all the files I want to capture/host/edit are going to be either 720p or 1080i h.264 files. Any thoughts on the best format/bitrates to archive with? For the G5, the 720p files seem to work best, but I'd like something that would offer the best archive format going forward should I want to re-encode them to some future technology.

TIA,

Dennis

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I ended up buying both HDPVR Capture and EyeTV 3.3.

On my 2.2 Ghz Core2Duo Macbook Pro, EyeTV 3.3 provides the most seamless way of capturing 1080i, trimming commercials, and playing it back. I'm certain with a faster Mac, playback would be even better, but at least I can archive the 1080i files until I get something faster. It also converts into a fairly standard h.264 file without re-encoding that is too jerky to play on my G5, but seems to play fine on the Macbook Pro.

On my dual 2.5 Ghz Power Macintosh G5, HDPVR Capture works well capturing and processing the files into a standard h.264 file. The 720p files play fine in iTunes and Quicktime Player, but the 1080i files are simply unplayable on this Mac. What do you want for a nearly six-year-old Mac?

Since I mainly use the G5 as my main Mac for watching video, I will probably end up capturing each thing I want twice: once in 1080i for archiving to hard drives for the future and once in 720p for playing back now in either iTunes or EyeTV 2.5.3 on the G5. Capturing twice is faster, for now, than capturing on the Macbook Pro in 1080i and then transcoding that into a format that will play back on the G5.

If anyone is using the Elgato Turbo.264 HD to transcode to HD, AppleTV and iPhone formats, I'd love to hear about your experiences.

Dennis

·
Registered
915 Posts
Dennis:

HDPVR output will require a Mac with at least Core Duo to play. However, some of the advanced H.264 features will not play on an AppleTV (e.g., CABAC).

You can convert for use on AppleTV: HandBrake is an excellent tool. I primarily use VisualHub, but it is no longer supported or sold by its author.

Also the output from the HDPVR can be directly burned to a DVD-DL with Toast 10 in Blu-Ray format with no further transcoding (just multiplexing) for playback on Blu-Ray capable machines.

See this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1081590

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been following that thread, but this was as much about EyeTV as it was about HDPVR Capture.

Output in 720p from the HDPVR is playing fine on my G5 from both EyeTV 2.5 and iTunes. There are a few recordings I may grab in 1080i, but mostly I think 720p is going to be fine for storing in my iTunes connection. I've also ordered an Elgato Turbo.264 HD Encoder/Accelerator for transcoding if I decide to do mostly 1080i. Eventually, I'll replace the G5 with an Intel Mac, but it's not something I really need at the moment.

If I had it to do over, I'd probably just buy the EyeTV upgrade and skip buying HDPVR Capture even though it works and does a good job. The EyeTV is just a more seamless option for my needs, especially for cutting out commercials.

I don't have a Bluray Player, but I wonder if DVD Studio Pro can also burn DL DVDs in Bluray format. I've done that with HD-DVDs for playback in DVD Player and it worked pretty nice, but limited to around 50 minutes of video on a single layer DVD.

Dennis

·
Registered
915 Posts
Sounds like you are on the right track.

I have no experience with either EYE-TV, Turbo.264 HD nor DVD Studio Pro; although I do have and use the original Turbo.264. Tell me more about your experiences with the HD version of Turbo.

I am surprised you get 720p HDPVR playback on a G5 iMac; but great!

EYE-TV is OTA only, correct? I digitize from my DirecTV HD receivers.

I just made a Blu-Ray of Smithsonian HD's 6 part series on World War II (47 mins each), digitized at 720p at 5.5Mpbs on a DVD-DL and it works nicely. I only recently acquired a BR disc player; my Samsung HT1250, which also gives me Netflix Instant watching and with two digital audio inputs, I can easily switch between DirecTV and my AppleTV.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I mostly ordered the Turbo.264 HD because one of its presets is for YouTube 720p HD. Supposedly, that's one of the formats that the iPad can play back so ultimately that would a standard I would choose for all my recordings if it works.

I have a Power Macintosh with two 2.5 Ghz G5 processors, not a G5 iMac, so it has a beefier video card and faster hard drives in it than the old iMac models. But 1080i h.264 overwhelms it. 1080i MPEG-2 from the EyeTV 500 plays just fine however. The G5 is almost six years old with 2.5TB of internal storage and another 6GB of external storage. I'd like to replace it with a Mac Pro, but that's a bit more Mac than I can justify.

My EyeTV 500 is OTA only, but Elgato has a variety of products and even mine will do QAM cable, which I don't have. The latest EyeTV software supports the Hauppauge HD PVR box, but the first few versions of the software had audio sync and other problems. The version I upgraded to is working just fine however for recording off the HD PVR.

I'm using the HD PVR to record off my Dish VIP211k with the component outputs. The nice thing about my satellite receiver is that about a year ago they added the ability to hang a USB hard drive off of it and use it as a PVR. It can record OTA and satellite at the same time and you can be watching a recording at the same time you're recording two different shows. So my main interest is simply moving stuff off the USB hard drive attached to the satellite receiver onto my Mac for archiving, mostly concerts and sports events.

With the EyeTV software, I cue up the item I want to record on the sat receiver, hit record in EyeTV and then play on the satellite receiver. When it's done, I go in and mark the commercials for deletion and it compacts it down to the show without commercials. I can either copy it the G5 running an older version of EyeTV or I can export to an MPEG-4 file without re-encoding if I want to put it into iTunes on the G5. The only down side is that I have to type the meta data in for the recording, but that's a small price to pay for the ability to record stuff off my satellite receiver onto my Mac.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate /forum/post/18321613

I mostly ordered the Turbo.264 HD because one of its presets is for YouTube 720p HD. Supposedly, that's one of the formats that the iPad can play back so ultimately that would a standard I would choose for all my recordings if it works.

I won't know for sure how well the video works until my iPad gets here, but I've built a custom pre-set in the Turbo.264 HD for the iPad that should do the trick. It also works well on my G5 for playing movies and concerts in iTunes.

In addition, I have another custom pre-set for the Turbo.264 HD that can take windowboxed episodes of Doctor Who recorded in EyeTV from my local PBS station and crop/scale?convert them to 720p for playback in iTunes. This is similar to the automatic cropping that Handbrake can do, but so much faster.

So far, I like the Turbo.264 HD because a 40 minute episode of Doctor Who that took 10 hours to encode on my dual 2.5 Ghz G5 now takes less than two hours on my 2.2 Ghz CoreDuo Macbook Pro. If I knew as much when I started this thread as I do now, I might have just bought HDPVR Capture and the EyeTV Turbo.264 HD dongle and skipped the EyeTV upgrade since the Turbo.264 HD software has similar editing tools to the EyeTV software.

Dennis

·
Registered
915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate /forum/post/18372326

...So far, I like the Turbo.264 HD because a 40 minute episode of Doctor Who that took 10 hours to encode on my dual 2.5 Ghz G5 now takes less than two hours on my 2.2 Ghz CoreDuo Macbook Pro...

Dennis

Yes: the Turbo.264 (which I have) and the TurboHD.264 has its own compression chip, so that the improvement in speed is always more dramatic when used on an older CPU.

I originally purchased mine for my iMac g5, but I moved it over to my Mac Mini single core, which is used mostly for transcoding at this point of time. I use my Duo Core Mac Mini with my Hauppauge HD-PVR.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts