AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I started Building my 2 F-20s using the MFW-15 driver. I built 2 THTs last summer and they have been awesome. You can visit the build thread for those HERE!

I picked up 3/4" maple for the build, this stuff is seriously heavy compared to the BB I used on the THTs.

I will be doing a shoot out between the two F20s and THTs in a few weeks once I learn how to use my Mini DSP and REW.

Below are a few quick pics of what I have been doing so far.

All the panels are cut. I did make a mistake on my access panel cutout on the first box. I don't know how I did it but on the layout sheet it clearly said to measure down 19 1/4" and I did 19 3/4" instead(I always check my measurements 3+ times so I dunno how I managed that. In a panic I called Beastaudio(good chap) to get his opinion on my screw up. After I calmed down I realized it was actually an easy fix, just need to cut a new access panel to fit the larger hole.

I am seriously looking forward to firing up all 4 of these monsters at once, hope I don't break my house

More pics to come after the weekend!

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krbass /forum/post/20844606

I don't know how I did it but on the layout sheet it clearly said to measure down 19 1/4" and I did 19 3/4" instead(I always check my measurements 3+ times)

Hey it happens. I jacked up my driver spacing on the baffle board on one of my Dynamic 4T's making them 7.5" on center instead of 7.25". It seems that no matter how many times you double check your measurement, you can manage to have extremely accurate cuts, that are completely wrong.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have been contemplating using maple as well. It's cheaper than BB and seems to be a good choice. I thought there must be something wrong with it because it does not appear to be a very popular material. Good luck with your build.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is the part I messed up on.

I honestly could just leave it and keep the access panel I have but I am thinking of using 3/4" Acrylic for the panels so I can see the subs. There is a guy here locally that can get me 4 pieces cut to size for about $33.00 each. He told me that the acrylic is completely clear containment grade and is virtually indestructible. If for any reason this is a bad choice and will result in a loss of sound quality/output please let me know.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I gotta check these out when you get em done.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic /forum/post/20846174

Finally someone else who uses maple. Beautiful finish from it for way less than veneer. At least here in BC it's cheap.

Yeah its nice stuff. Lowes carries it for 7 dollars more a sheet than the Arauco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiSounds /forum/post/20846713

I gotta check these out when you get em done.

Yeah for sure man. I will shoot you a text in a couple weeks once I am back from the adirondacks. Maybe you can give me a hand EQing so I don't mess it up

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I got one finished. The second one has 4 panels mounted and will be finished after I am back from my 2 week vacation.

lilmike you did an awesome job designing this and the instructions are really easy to follow.

Since these will be out in my room for all to see I am thinking of finishes. I really would like to get them as black and glossy as possible eliminating all wood grain. Any recommendations on how I can achieve this?

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
"eliminating all wood grain"

the password is - high build primer.

completely coat them with high build primer to eliminate wood grain.

there was a guy who did some really nice cabs that i linked to in the master index of subs link. i'll see if i can go dig it up.

edit: here it is.

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...0&page=1&pp=35

scroll through the build and see if that is what you want.

a little tease:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 /forum/post/20850632

and a ton of work...but if that is really what you want, it is possible. something to dream about while on vacation. :)

Yeah it looks like a ton of work, but thankfully I have my THTs so I am not worried about getting them done right away.

If I don't finish these before they get into my HT room they will never get done. kind of the same reason I never finished the THTs.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey all. I finally got back from vacation and decided to fire one of these up. It sounds clean but very quiet. Im using my ep1500 in stereo mode and feel like something is wrong. I never played one of my thts out here so it could be that its just in a large open barn. Im going to move them home in a few days and do more testing then.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
excited to see your reaction once it's all panned out, theyre already tried and true

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.