Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
It looks good.

We need to find a way to run widescreen. I looked at all the config files

and nothing lists the resolutions. This game hammers your system.

highest selectable resolution is 1024x768 and the help file suggests running

at 640x480 for better frame rates.

·
Registered
669 Posts
A post at widescreen gaming forums dot com said that monolith studios

has a horrible track record of making games impossible to run at widescreen

resolutions, this demo appears to be the latest in a long line.

·
Registered
16,530 Posts
Ooooh , this is a slick demo :D !!!

------- Jason

·
Registered
669 Posts
the graphics seem to be about the best I've ever seen, and the AI is

incredible. Too bad about the widescreen though. They also need to

include a benchmark or timedemo function.

The coolest thing was to see the barrel of an assault rifle poke out from around

a corner and start shooting :) .

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
In case no one knows yet, this is how to achieve custom resolutions in F.E.A.R.

Open C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Documents\\Monolith Productions\\FEARSPDemo -> select "settings.cfg" -> type in your screen height and width.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
I installed the demo and it proceeded to laugh at my PC. 2.8 P4, 256M FX 5700 and 1G Ram.

Guess I better stick to XBox, WoW and GW.

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Nice Demo, I love being able to fire a blast into the back of some unsuspecting dude's head and watch em crumple to the floor. The "bullet time" thing is awesome fun.

3.6Ghz p4

6800GT running at stock speeds

1024x768 2xAA 4xAF and all options on max except for soft shadows

The game runs fine, exept for two areas: The water room (water effects are amazing) with its reflections, and the industrial room with the streaming light coming in, and the multiple levels (the one where the ghost girl and phantom guy appear). They dont get choppy, but the framerate must get cut down into the upper 20's for me, as its not quite 30fps smooth.

I'd say the rest of the rooms run in the upper 50's or 60's. Also I get some framerate slowdown right when you are about to enter the sewer system at the beginning, I notice the framerate dipping below 30 but for the life of me I'm not sure why, not exactly alot going on in that scene...???

For laughs, I fired up the demo at 640x480 and turned on 4xaa and 4xAF, and all things considered the game still looks pretty good. A bit grainy and soft, sure, but after a few minutes I didn't really notice I wasn't running at some really high rez. High Rez is nice, but Like DOOMIII, the more visual crap they lay onto a game, the easier it is on the eyes at lower resolutions.

Still....the fact that I get even SOME slowdown at the relatively LOW 1024x768 resolution with all the eyecandy turned on is A BIT DISCONCERTING :p

ps: I dont mind the generic cannon-fodder guys, but the "armor plated" guys are really annoying if you dont have a grenade handy.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
That little girl running around really creeps me out! I guess they are going for an incoherent Japanese horror flick feel...

I'm running 1600x1200 with everything on high. It's a bit sluggish and I'll have to dial it down. I have an x800xt. The graphics are nice, but nothing we haven't seen seen in Far Cry. The physics are nice, perhaps more evolved than Half-Life 2.

One thing I don't like about the game is that it seems very linear. I'm in a big building, I should be able to go anywhere I want, not on some narrow path...I'm not sure if I'm going to buy it yet.

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Is this one of those games that runs alot better on ATI than Nvidia cards?

Also what are you guys running for processors.

I've discovered that "smooth" is too subjective a term to use. I remember visiting a friends house and he was playing some game that he said was "Smooth as glass", and then I saw it...and I considered it a choppy nightmare from hell :)

Anything above 60fps is smooth...30fps is smooth but in that "not 60fps smooth" kinda way. Its not choppy (when you get into the sub 20fps range).....

This game never gets choppy on me, but in those 3 areas I can notice a definate drop in framerate just based on "feel of movement"..the way the screen updates and whatnot.

I wonder if there's a timedemo type function built in, I'd love to see what kind of average FPS I'm getting.

But I'm one of those guys who would rather play at a higher overall CONSISTANT framerate than run at max settings and have to deal with slowdowns and such when things get too crazy onscreen......some folks prefer the latter example. Depends on what you're afer.

Like I said, I could play this game at 640x480 if I had to......with all the shading and shadows and such, slap on some AA and AF and its not so harsh on the eyeballs.

Course this may be the game that makes me O/C my 6800 up to Ultra specs. Sometimes that little nudge in horsepower is all it takes to go from noticble to unnoticible dips in framerate.

1600x1200 with everything on, meaning you have AA turned on and AF AND soft-shadows?

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
What is considered to be "smooth" is definitely too subjective. For some, "smooth" is when there is no chugging in frame rate when there are no enemies or complex lighting on screen. For me, I want over 30fps even when I am engaged in a shootout with over 4 enemies in a vast landscape. F.E.A.R. represents one of the first games of this generation to encourage the movement into the next tier of graphics cards. My dual 6600GT, Athlon 3500+, 1 GB of ram system struggles at 1360x768 with everything on maximum, 2X AA and 16X AF. Turning off soft shadows alleviates the burden, but the frame rate is still less than optimal.

HeadRusch,

To gauge your fps, download FRAPS.

·
Banned
326 Posts
I didn't like the demo.

I have a 3400+/6600GT and wasn't impressed by FEAR's performance on my machine. I will not upgrade for this game, to me it doesn't seem to be the next big thing.

I'll play this game in 5 years when affordable technology exists to play this game at 60 fps with everything maxed out.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch
I've discovered that "smooth" is too subjective a term to use. I remember visiting a friends house and he was playing some game that he said was "Smooth as glass", and then I saw it...and I considered it a choppy nightmare from hell :)
LOL. Ah yes, the old "silky smooth" or "smooth as glass" reading on the framerate meter. The previous multiplayer beta had a video stress test which was quite good so people could do a apples-apples comparison. Unfortunately the singleplayer demo does not offer the same ability it seems.

·
Registered
860 Posts
It's got some good visuals. I'm sure that their will be plenty of optimizing done before October.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.