Registered
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Retailers adjust high-def space

Some lean toward Blu-ray after Warner move

By Susanne Ault -- Video Business, 1/18/2008

RELATED ARTICLES

Retailers expand merchandising of Blu-ray, HD DVD

JAN. 18 | Following Warner Bros. Entertainment's decision to support Blu-ray Disc exclusively, some key retailers are adjusting how they merchandise high-definition discs.

Predicting falling demand for HD DVD as consumers learn that the industry's leading film supplier will stop producing in the format, Trans World Entertainment, Newbury Comics, Video Buyers Group members and Hastings Entertainment are among the retailers beginning to favor Blu-ray.

The format war is not over, however, as 1 million HD DVD devices are in households and plenty of HD DVD titles line shelves. But there is hope among some retailers that if they proactively push leader Blu-ray, they can spur the fledgling high-def business. To date, studios and retailers have blamed format war confusion for stopping consumers from adopting high-def.

Trans World, which operates more than 800 F.Y.E. storefronts, will be giving more catalog room to BD titles than HD DVD titles. Also, in the coming months, Trans World plans to order select, key new releases on HD DVD, while continuing to take in most new BD releases.

We are waiting to hear more about what [HD DVD] hardware manufacturers decide to do, but I think one thing we can all agree on as retailers, is that consumer confusion is leading to a delay in buying a format, said Mark Higgins, Trans World VP of DVD, videogames and consumer electronics merchandising. They don't want to buy into another Betamax. As retailers, we need to simplify things for the consumers as much as we can with merchandising one format. We don't want to be biased, but that is clearly the direction that high-def production looks to be going.

Higgins added that Trans World can special order HD DVD titles for customers if needed.

Hastings Entertainment will continue to have HD DVD on shelves to satisfy those consumers who have bought corresponding players. But the chain is foreseeing a shift to BD in stores.

Based on the way the playing field is shaping up, you'll see BD with more prominence in stores, said Victor Fuentes, VP and divisional merchandise manager at Hastings. He said it was because of the sheer number of titles coming from the majority of studios that will be releasing titles in the format.

Newbury will cut back some on HD DVD copy depth in anticipation of BD drawing more customers. Before Warner's decision, Newbury was ordering about half the copy depth on HD DVD titles as on Blu-ray titles. Now, the chain will be ordering one-fourth to one-third of the copies on HD DVD that it will order on BD. Going forward, HD DVD titles are likely to be placed only at select Newbury outlets that are strong on high-def sales.

VBG president Ted Engen said he is working with distributor partner Ingram Entertainment to put together a BD introduction package for VBG members. The on-going format war has kept about half of the VBG group, roughly 600 to 800 stores, from offering either HD DVD or BD titles. The intro package, due in about 30 days, will suggest a batch of starter BD titles to launch high-def sections in stores. Marketing tools also will be included in the packages.

After Warner's announcement, it's safe for [retailers] to invest more in Blu-ray, said Engen

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
At my BB HD DVD used to have an entire wall of shelves devoted to releases. Last week I went in to check after the Warner announcement and now it's 1/3 of the wall it used to occupy and Blu ray has been expanded.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Amazon only has one HD DVD title in the top 100 (Planet Earth), and this is during a big HD DVD sale. If things keep going this way, retailers may not have a hard choice to make.

·
Registered
186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30XS955 User /forum/post/12860251

At my BB HD DVD used to have an entire wall of shelves devoted to releases. Last week I went in to check after the Warner announcement and now it's 1/3 of the wall it used to occupy and Blu ray has been expanded.

At my Best Buy they were selling HD-DVD players as Upconverting DVD players and new releases had Blu-ray and DVDs right next to each other (they used to keep the Blu-ray movies seperate).

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First Target and now F.Y.E, which has their stores mainly in malls.

The Warner announcement of Blu-ray exclusivity has generated tremondous media attention to favor Blu-ray and it seems to be changing strategies for retailers on what they will support and push for their HDM products/shelves.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Before the Warner announcement Blu-ray/HD-DVD software was evenly divided at our BB. Now it is 2/3 Blu and 1/3 HD-DVD. HD-DVD players are stacked up as tho there is a fire sale. Blu-ray players are marked at regular prices.

I wonder if this is Toshiba's effort to make a "last stand" or management's (BB) decision to clear out the inventory prior to going Blu exclusively?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Can't say I am surprised....the Saturday after this was announced (the Warner thing) I was at Bestbuy and two people in front of me were exchanging their HD DVD players for BD.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Retailers want 1 format to stock and they will help push out HD DVD now that it has been proclaimed Beta dead by the press and has minimal studio support.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We don't even have those stores in Canada. At the local Bestbuy, Futureshop and Blockbusters HD-DVD and Blu-ray shelving space is still equal and hasn't changed at all.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawn /forum/post/12860927

Trans World, Newbury Comics, Video Buyers Group, and Hastings Entertainment...oh noes!

All joking aside, I think this particular move, while small, is indicative of what amounts to a Big Problem for Toshiba.

Low hardware prices are great for moving hardware, but how do you sell consumers discs if they aren't on the shelves? We have multiple reports of Best Buys shifting shelf space, Target has long since been 2:1 shelf space, and now even the smaller retailers are chiming in. The less shelf space the red cases get, the fewer titles they'll sell, and the worse the sales ratios every week will get, not just at the Nielsen VideoScan level, but at each individual point of sale that has shifted their allocation (which is more important in a grass-roots sort of comeback attempt).

In other words, what good is a razor if you can't find any blades to buy?

·
Banned
3,171 Posts
Oh boy, another thread with more Blu-ray this and Blu ray that started by 42plasmaman, this is really getting old.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Good, it's just another +1 in the Blu-Ray column. The sooner the format war is over, the better.

There hasn't been a lick of good news for HD DVD for weeks. Just more bad news from retailers and studios alike.

·
Registered
694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef /forum/post/12861361

Oh boy, another thread with more Blu-ray this and Blu ray that started by 42plasmaman, this is really getting old.

Eh, this entire section has gone downhill again anyway.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleAl /forum/post/12861483

I can't recall ever seeing either format in our local FYE, so this is a non-issue here.

same here they didnt even know what hddvd or blu ray was.....this is the same store last year that claimed all their PS3 that the truck had were hijacked I mean literally all their PS3s were hijacked on the way to the malls in the united states.......

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0tempkin /forum/post/12861438

Good, it's just another +1 in the Blu-Ray column. The sooner the format war is over, the better.

There hasn't been a lick of good news for HD DVD for weeks. Just more bad news from retailers and studios alike.

Explain to me how the format war hurts you because there are plenty of formats out there. Once HD DVD is gone, blu is going to really look weak next to SD-DVD.

·
Registered
544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevivoe /forum/post/12861828

Once HD DVD is gone, blu is going to really look weak next to SD-DVD.

Explain to me why, as a high-definition movie enthusiast, I would care if DVD sales are higher?

Do Ferrari owners care if Honda sells way more Accords and Civics?

·
Registered
198 Posts
This FYE move means absolutely nothing. Total complete non issue. Their prices are so expensive I don't know who would purchase high def content there to begin with. HD-DVD will be fine.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.