AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a prior 7.1 surround sound system. Onkyo hts 6100. I like it.

However this past Xmas my mother bought me a surprise pair of Klipsch Synergy F1 floor standing speakers.

These speakers are supposedly 100W each. I wanted to hook them up to my Onkyo receiver, but decided that was probably a bad idea.

Im pretty sure I need an 8 ohm amplifier to get these bad boys to work. however, how do i hook the speakers up to play the same music as my previously existing Onkyo Hts 6100 surround sound?

Basically I am asking how do i turn my 7.1 Onkyo surround sound, into a 9.1 Onkyo/Klipsch hybrid surround sound.

Please help me blare music back at my neighbors! They're relentless!

Any advice, comments, or even criticisms are welcome. Thank you all in advance. If you want to PM me an answer that is fine too.. Thank you again.

Josh

Sorry this post is in 2 forums. I did not know which forum was the better choice to submit my query. If u need to delete one, that is fine!

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassisWack /forum/post/18216339

I have a prior 7.1 surround sound system. Onkyo hts 6100. I like it.

However this past Xmas my mother bought me a surprise pair of Klipsch Synergy F1 floor standing speakers.

does she want to adopt anyone?

These speakers are supposedly 100W each. I wanted to hook them up to my Onkyo receiver, but decided that was probably a bad idea.

why a bad idea? that's a maximum power handling number. the klipsch speakers will be WAY easier to drive than the speakers that came with your system. i mean WAY easier to drive (efficiency of 93 for the klipsch vs. 76/79 for the onkyo speakers).

Im pretty sure I need an 8 ohm amplifier to get these bad boys to work. however, how do i hook the speakers up to play the same music as my previously existing Onkyo Hts 6100 surround sound?

no, you don't. as you don't have pre-outs on that avr, there's no way to hook up an external amplifier anyway. you just replace your two existing front speakers with the klipsch

Basically I am asking how do i turn my 7.1 Onkyo surround sound, into a 9.1 Onkyo/Klipsch hybrid surround sound.

you can't. you don't have enough amplifiers in your avr to do it.

Please help me blare music back at my neighbors! They're relentless!

those klipsch should make plenty of noise.

Any advice, comments, or even criticisms are welcome. Thank you all in advance. If you want to PM me an answer that is fine too.. Thank you again.

Josh

Sorry this post is in 2 forums. I did not know which forum was the better choice to submit my query. If u need to delete one, that is fine!

answers in red...

technically speaking, you could set the klipsch up as speaker b... however, you'd lose your 7.1 that way...

·
Registered
43 Posts
You can't get a "hybrid 9.1" since you dont have 9 discrete channels of sound. If you want the onkyo fronts AND the klipsch to also be fronts (playing the same thing at the same time), I would venture to say that wouldn't sound very good.

I'd just unplug the onkyo front speakers and plug in the synergies in their stead. You may want to get a matching center, but that's up to you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts