AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a huge room ( 45x50x30) over 5000 cu/ ft that I am working for 90% music. Looking at one to 2 subs to help out. Room is never going to sound awesome so I don't want to break the bank. Thought these duals would be a good start, leaning towards Rythmic but RBH is supposed to be excellent for music. I am throwing sound from my mains off a large wall towards my kitchen. (See pic) any other suggestions greatly appreciated. Mains are new Tannoy DC 10 ti's which have excellent tight bass.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
RBH makes really good stuff, but they are pricey. I also don't think much of the RBH warranty on this sub. It's 5 years for the drivers and 1 year for the amp. Since the Rythmik's are all servo controlled, I would assume they would be very good for music (plus save you some bucks). Rythmik's warranty is 5 and 2.

·
Registered
437 Posts
SVS, Reaction, PSA, HSU, Rythmik, Seaton, JTR, will all provide you equal or better quality to RBH for less $, search here on AVS and other like forums, you will see a very common trend, the major ID subwoofer companies should be your go to if you want the best quality/performance for your money.

For your size room you should look into two extreme mid bass subwoofers- based on listening preference being 90% music. I would look at all the Internet Direct companies listed above, spend some time on Data-Bass.com comparing output, Audioholics.com and AVS researching any that peak your interest.

SVS and PSA offer a risk free in home trial period of their products.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SVS, Reaction, PSA, HSU, Rythmik, Seaton, JTR, will all provide you equal or better quality to RBH for less $, search here on AVS and other like forums, you will see a very common trend, the major ID subwoofer companies should be your go to if you want the best quality/performance for your money.

For your size room you should look into two extreme mid bass subwoofers- based on listening preference being 90% music. I would look at all the Internet Direct companies listed above, spend some time on Data-Bass.com comparing output, Audioholics.com and AVS researching any that peak your interest.

SVS and PSA offer a risk free in home trial period of their products.
Thanks for the reference to data plus, now I have to figure out how to equate what I think I want with the data! It's somewhat ironic that the review of the RBH on audioholics is what got me started on RBH. Is there some consensus on what makes a sub better for music vs theatre? Obviously, I don't need bass extension below 20 hz but should I be looking for a particular SPL range or some other factor?

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
A consensus? Here? ;). However, there is a general rule of thumb for a small, medium and large room (if it’s on the bottom end of large). Generally look at sealed for music and ported for movies, but a good sub is a good sub for any media. But your extreme room volume almost dictates ported designs. That doesn’t mean there aren’t extremely impressive sealed designs. The Seaton SubMersive has long been considered the sealed design to beat, because they are exceptional at both movies and music, as well as output. However, a Seaton does not come cheap. You’d be looking at around 3 grand depending upon finish for one SubMersive. A master/slave configuration of two subs would be around 5 grand.

The type of sub also depends upon what type of bass impresses you the most. The really deep stuff will shake things off the wall, even if you cannot hear it, while 30 - 60 Hz range provides much of the body slam. Look for the greatest output at the frequencies you like best.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Thanks for the reference to data plus, now I have to figure out how to equate what I think I want with the data! It's somewhat ironic that the review of the RBH on audioholics is what got me started on RBH. Is there some consensus on what makes a sub better for music vs theatre? Obviously, I don't need bass extension below 20 hz but should I be looking for a particular SPL range or some other factor?
RBH is a very well regarded audio company and based on that review that is one heck of a subwoofer. The $5300 MSRP- would be the major knock, its a bit overpriced ( IMO ) compared to other options that are out there. Even the review notates the high asking price as a con.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
The Seaton SubMersive has long been considered the sealed design to beat, because they are exceptional at both movies and music, as well as output. However, a Seaton does not come cheap. You’d be looking at around 3 grand depending upon finish for one SubMersive. A master/slave configuration of two subs would be around 5 grand.
I just talked to Mark Seaton. And while my estimate was close on a single SubMersive (it's less than 3 grand including shipping for two of his finishes), the master/slave combo can be had for quite a bit less than 5 grand (like 4.3 grand including shipping), and Mark will be running some specials during AXPONA. If you're thinking Seaton (and who doesn't think about Seaton), now would be the time :).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts