AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot get any surround from my otherwise great RCA F38310. I have checked OTA stereo sources and DirectTV stereo sources. The manual only mentions to connect surround speakers, it is otherwise silent on this. I have tried the different modes in the Audio menu (Stereo, Stereo SRS, Stereo SRS - Focus). I have verified the speakers work properly (using the EXT/INT switch to put the main front sound on them temporarily).

Do I have a defective unit, or am I missing something in the setup or options, or doesn't this chassis have a built-in decoder?

Thanks for any ideas!

John Gerbi

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Try the Displays Forum.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
How exactly are you hooking them up? If you're connecting a pair of speakers to the terminals on the back of the tv you will only get 2 channel audio fed to external speakers. This is the same feed that the internal speakers get. The unit supports surround in both Dolby Digital and Dolby surround (matrixed) through the audio outs and optical out. This needs to be fed to a receiver capable of decoding and feeding the signal to 4 or more speakers. The 38310 also does some audio magic in that it will convert any of the standard inputs (VID 1-3, DVD) to optical out. By this I mean if you have a vcr or sat. receiver connected to the inputs the signal is outputted on the optical connection. This really simplifies connections. I have an optical feed from the 38310 to my receiver and the sound is great, HBO and Locals in DD 5.1 and Dolby surround for the standard audio.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand completely; previous RCA/Thompson chassis included an inboard decoder and surround speaker amp however, and the user's manual refers specifically to connecting surround speakers to the termininals.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.