AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My JX5 (mfd. May 2001) has the "dreaded edge compression" problem, and the consensus of opinion seems to be that there is no definitive solution for this, and that we must just accept it and not let it spoil our appreciation of the wonderful HDTV performance of this bargain-priced receiver. My personal experience is that the problem is worst with the NTSC tuner and video inputs (including component), somewhat less with the DirecTV regular channels, and minimal with OTA or satellite HDTV. I also have the problem with "fill" mode stretching vertically about 49% instead of 1/3, but strangely "fill" works just fine with the satellite tuner. I would be very interested to learn whether these problems are inherent in the F38310 design. In the September 2000 issue of Sound & Vision (see page 65), Al Griffin reports that "Geometry (on the F38310) overall was good, though there was mild stretching at the outer edge of the screen with a 16:9 circular hatch pattern." In the December 2000 issue of the same magazine (page 23), a reader's letter mentions a video dropout problem with the F38310, where "the screen mysteriously goes black for a second every 28 minutes when displaying a DVD." RCA responded to Al Griffin's inquiry as follows: "We have recognized two issues contributing to intermittent video dropouts on certain models of our digital TVs and are working to resolve the problems in a timely manner. The solution to both will involve a software upgrade." I heard from a sales manager in early 2001 that RCA initiated a recall and installed a circuit board made by Hitachi. I don't know how accurate this info may be, but I wonder if the "software upgrade" might be the source of the geometric distortion problems. Loewe doesn't seem to be having any geometric problems with the 38" tube. I would appreciate any information that anyone can supply on this issue.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
What power of binoculars do you use to see all the defects of the screen? I am so glad that I chose not to learn all their is to EE and the rest. Like cipher in The matrix I chose to be blissfully ignorant and after 1 year(in 4 days), I am still glad I purchased this JX4 April,2001 date code.:)

·
Registered
56 Posts
The dropout problem was fixed, so not to worry.

The Geometry problem is just caused by hurried assembly line adjustments in the Mexican factory. Think of Lucy in the chocolate factory. To RCA this TV is a consumer product not a ‘pro’ product like a Sony. So it’s OK not to be perfect.

I solved my wavy and stretching problems to my satisfaction by enlarging the whole picture (over scanning) and pushing the edge compression off the screen. I have been enjoying this wonderful set for a year now and would not trade it for any ‘pro’ model.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hi tpgaffney!

May I ask what patterns you used to perform the over-scanning adjustments? Did you use the Video Reference DVD? When you enter the service mode, how do you make certain that the set is in the component-input mode? Thanks! I too think this is a great HDTV set!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sorry, just got back to this board. Here is more info, it should answer your questions.

I think over scanning works rather well. As you make the adjustments you can see the squeezed image disappear off the edge of the screen. I was nervous getting into the service menu, and wrote everything down, but it’s not too bad, just time consuming. You really can’t notice that anything is missing when you watch 16:9 programming. Your gray bars are also slightly smaller by ½ to ¾ inch and your 4:3 picture is a little larger too.

In this string you will find information on how to use your service menu, cut and paste if you have to:
http://www.***************.com/cgi-b...54&t=000128&p=

You should read the whole thing. In it I wrote the following:

“I enlarged the entire picture by adding 10 point to P:5 width adjustment and 15 points to P:11 vertical size adjustment. This makes the gray bars smaller and the 4:3 picture slightly enlarged, with some over scan on the top and bottom of the image. You need to use a test pattern when making this adjustment to maintain a perfect circle in the center of the screen. I used one on the Video Essentials DVD. When in wide screen you also lose some picture content on the horizontal edges. I found that this enlargement, when used to view DVDs, minimized the server squeezing on both sides of the screen.â€

I have had the TV set this way for one year and am very happy with the results. You still see the logos on all material and don’t even realize that a very small percent of the picture content is missing. As a picture tube ages the image will shrink, that is why many TV have some over scan built in.

I admit that I approached the service menu fine-tuning with some trepidation. It was not difficult, just awkward.

This service menu adjustments are for all analog inputs. It may also adjust the HD image, but without a HD generator I can’t really tell.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just got my 38310 last weekend from CC... I haven't had too much time to play with it (I stored it at my parent's house since I live in an upstairs apartment, w/ no elevator, I'm moving in a month anyway, and that mother is HEAVY), but I did notice the edge compression. Sadly, had I not been lurking on this forum, I probably would never have known to look for it. I'm gonna try putting in a little overscan and see what I think, but I was wondering what happens if you underscan? Does the compression go away (i.e. does the compression happen at the edge of the picture or the edge of the tube?). If you can make beleive it's really a 36" TV and get rid of the compression, it's still a good buy.

But... I'm guessing that the compression follows the edge of the picture, wherever it is, and that's why overscan helps.

I just help I get used to, don't notice it, or it goes away when I finally start feeding it HDTV signals.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Lafayette

Overscan just hides the compression artifacts by pushing them off the screen. The compression is a design defect in the sweep circuits by RCA and is not fixable. Hopefully RCA will do a better job with their new receivers.

Bill

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've only noticed edge compression while watching DVDs... never any compression while watching HDnet or HD HBO. I pray to the HD Gods that they will allow me to watch HD VHS or HD DVDs without compression problems when the new tech is available. Can anyone confirm edge compressionless effects with maybe the new JVC DVHS or HD recording spooling off their computers. I'm hoping it's some kind of a 480 signal problem and that a true external 1080 signal will get thru unscathed.

I was super f'n pissed with the crazy warp pans from Apocalypse Redux.

·
Registered
22,149 Posts
My observation has been that the 'edge compression' occurs with all widescreen formats (fill, full, DVD and HD OTA).

I adjusted my overscan/underscan settings and geometry for each input (component, ant a, ant b) and when properly set, you will see the compression with all inputs/media.

The 'default' settings for each set when it leaves the factory will be different. I will agree that DVD's seem to be worse, but if you adjust the overscan to it's "proper" setting, for each input, the problem is still there with any input selection.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm totally sick of the distortion (edge compression) of the geometry on this set. Its the sets internal scaler thats the problem. Focus in the center of the screen is also off while using the sets scaler.

However, 540p (1080i) images (the native scan rate of this set) are pretty much perfect. I get no geometry problems, and perfect focus on all 1080i material.

The solution that makes this set better is an external scaler. Since I notice this problem mostly on DVDs, I'm purchasing a Momitsu V-880 DVD player with a built-in scaler. It scales DVD to 1080i using component outputs. This should solve geometry and focus issues while watching DVD. As far as other non-1080i sources go, theres really nothing that can be done on this set, other than getting an external scaler (that can scale all sources to 1080i) and an external ATSC/DirecTV reciever. I can live with the crappy scaler on regular NTSC material, and the V-880 will solve my DVD problems.

enjoy

tutash

·
Registered
22,149 Posts
When you get it (the V880) and try it out, let us know if your assumption is correct.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, I got the Momitsu. First, I'd just like to say that the V880 is put together very poorly. It crashes way too often.

However, when you hook this thing up to a F38310 using 1080i output, DVD's take on a whole new character: I had no idea DVD could look this good. It's REALLY close to HD in image quality. There is no blurring in the center of the image. There are no geometry problems, NONE! The image is super-crisp. This 1080i DVD player really shows you what this TV can and can't do. It can reproduce a stunning 1080i (or 540p, the native rate of the F38310) image with no geometry of focus problems. What the set can't do is scale 480i/p material worth a damn.

This DVD player made a huge difference in my home theater. I watch alot of HDTV material (OTA, DBS), and was sick of seeing focus and geometry issues whenever I played anamorphic material. I mean, you go from a perfect picture on, say, HBOHD to a totally crappy picture from any 480 source. A scalar is the ultimate fix for this TV. I suggest that everyone who owns a F38310 run and get a DVD player that outputs 1080i. The Momitsu will do it, but if you can find something more reliable, you should buy it instead of the V880. I consider the V880 a early-adopter geek toy. Perhaps after they beef up the power supply, replace the loader, and fix the firmware, it'll be a safer purchase, however, if you buy one now, be warned that they are a real pain in the ass to deal with.

Again: if you own a F38310, you MUST get a 1080i DVD player (or any other scalar, if you have the cash). You will be amazed. You will be totally shocked that this TV can actually produce an image like this from DVD. Probably the best and final fix for this TV would be to pass all material that is not 1080i through a scalar. Running this TV at it's native rate produces the best picture possible on this set, period. And, it really demonstrates how incredibly bad RCA's internal scalar is.

enjoy

tutash

·
Registered
382 Posts
Tutash,

Have you considered getting the Lite On 2001 or 2002 player? It has gotten great reviews in the DVD Players forum as a 1080i component DVD player.

I think I'm going to order one over the upcoming holiday.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah, I ordered a Lite-On 16X Internal DVD-ROM yesterday. $35 incl. shipping. Will replace it ASAP. Also, I'd like to upgrade the power supply.

enjoy

tutash

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.