AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my RCA F38310 ISF Calibrated. I have to say that I was pretty close with my tweaking of the set but the final touch really made it shine. As always your first impression is that the picture is way to dark. That's because most sets have brightness and contrast cranked up from the factory. I really recommend any videophile to have their set calibrated.

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts
if you don't mind me asking how much did it cost you? thanks

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really don't know I got industry pricing :D

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Please explain what you mean by industry pricing.

·
Registered
22,141 Posts
What calibrations where performed?

Did they use the "Chipper Check" interface?

How about convergence?

Are all the user settings 'centered'?

Were all the inputs calibrated or just the component?

How long did it take?

Just curious... thinking about getting mine done.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ratman
What calibrations where performed?

Did they use the "Chipper Check" interface?

How about convergence?

Are all the user settings 'centered'?

Were all the inputs calibrated or just the component?

How long did it take?

Just curious... thinking about getting mine done.
1) Cost $250-$350 depending on calibrator (mine was $300). If your calibrator has to travel to get to you, there may be per mile travel charges. Check around -- cheapest isn't best -- look for someone in your area who has been reccomended on the Home Theater Forums. Some do no more than Video Essentials calibrations. Make sure yours knows what they are doing, and can get access to the chipper check hardware/software. They should have a scan generator and a color analyser to be able to perform all of the adjustments.

2) As far as I could follow, he was able to adjust just about everything. among other things, he centered the 4:3 window so the gray bars are the same on both sides, worked on color temperature, and geometry. The set is much better alligned than it was before.

One thing he couldn't fix: the squeeze of the image on the sides is caused by the yoke and can't be fixed except by overscanning. I don't notice this except when grid patterns on calibration discs are up, so I left the set with normal overscan.

3) It turns out they don't calibrate "video inputs" they calibrate scan rates. There are three for the F38310: 480p (on the component input), 540p (upconverted 480i and 480p on the ATSC tuner), and 1080i (including 720p upconverted on the ATSC tuner). Unfortunately, the video settings are different for 480p and 1080i -- my calibrator "normalized" the settings for 480p -- to optimize the picture for HD I still need to move the tint several clicks to the left. Because "source matters", I calibrated the color, tint, contrast, and black level independently after the calibrator left -- I used the DVD directly in 480p mode on the component input (it was left as is), and fed it through my ReplayTV and s-vhs VCR on the Video 1 and Video 2 inputs. I needed to make some changes on them.

4)It takes a long time depending on how much they are going to do. Figure it will take an afternoon or an evening -- if your room is "lit" by sunlight during the day, you will want to wait until after the sun goes down before having it calibrated.

Check out my calibrator's website, www.isfcalibration.com , for details on the calibratioon process.

Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.