Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My name is mark and I have posted a few times asking questions about other Direct views and have been interested in the F38310. Well I finally took the plunge with a great deal I couldnt pass up. Local Ultimate Elec. had a demo with only 350 hours on it, JX4 model, in reasonable condition. I paid around $1100.00 out the door for the TV, a five year in home warranty and Tax.

I have been generally impressed with the PQ at home, feeding it from a dish reciever and a non-progressive Sony DVD player, both with S video.

I have a few questions and would really appreciate feedback from those that have worked with this TV.

1. I am about to install a Radio Shack V90 UHF/VFH OTA ant. in my attic. I am virtually line of sight @ 30 miles away from all the local Phoenix broadcast towers. I plan to pipe the signal using RG6 to the back of the F38310. What do I do then, any special tricks during the channel search and what kind of perfomance should I expect with this setup?

2. Can the PIP swap only analog inputs from the F type ant inputs A & B or can it also PIP from the video inputs?

3. I want to get the Vid. Ess. and do some calibrations to get optimal performance,where is the best place to get this disc and is it fairly self expl. to use?

4. Are there any useful adjustments that can be made by going into the service menu and how do I do that.

5. Any general hints regarding this set to help shorten up the learning curve.

thanks in advance, Mark Mares in Phx AZ.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Mark,

Go to the ***************.com and go to the RCA section. There is a wealth of info on this set, including some info on the service menu and how to adjust the geometry on the set.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I'll comment on a few of your questions. When doing the channel search, don't connect the antenna. After the search is done, manually enter the digital channels (ex.: 4-1, 5-1 etc.). The channel search puts all channels and sub-channels into the guide, meaning you have to go through every channel and sub-channel when scanning through the available digital channels. The PIP is useless if you're only watching digital channels (analog channels only in PIP).

This is one heck of an HDTV. Only drawbacks are: (1) Some of these models were defective, mainly the tuners; (2) lack of digital output to record DIRECTV or local digital stations and(3) Barrell roll effect on sides of screen mainly on inputs. I've had mine for about 6 weeks and love it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good Deal on your tube.

Use ant "B" for OAR

You can get a set-up disk at most electronic stores that

sell dvds etc. Best Buy for one.

Some of the bigger rental places some times

have them for rent.

Kevin

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Van Caste
Good Deal on your tube.

Use ant "B" for OAR

You can get a set-up disk at most electronic stores that

sell dvds etc. Best Buy for one.

Some of the bigger rental places some times

have them for rent.

Kevin

Why use ant B and not ant A?

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I paid $2999 for the same JX4 in May 2, 2001,I have over 14,000 hours on the internal odemeter.

I think the members before me covered the OTA questions, what you need IMO is a multiple switcher so you can hook up with component inputs. Here is what I use I have the IN3504.

http://www.inlineinc.com/products/matrix/3506.htm

I converted this over to component by adding BNC to RCA phono connecters to the R, G, and B 'not' using the S (this was for a computer switcher) to feed 4 DVD players into my one Y-Pr-Pb component jack at back of set. It's a high end switcher with a 500MHz bandwith which provides one really *clear* view that is line doubled by the DTC-100 line doubler that's built in.

Now about those calibrations you want to make, in my signature at the bottom you will find a URL next to; do your own calibrations. This will tell you how to get into the real service menu, besides the testing Service Menu; I get odometer readings and perform internal tests each month, to see if everything is okay.

Each of us on this forum can be a valuable piece of your puzzle use our advice wisely

Remember the URL that you want is at the bottom of my 'signature' scroll down to Master Index. Look up RCA and read to your hearts content, then when you feel confident enter the S.M. and write down all the settings as they were; should you run into trouble. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.