AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using the S-Video output from my DirecTV Tivo and the picture is sometimes too soft or out of focus. I keep the sharpness all the way down since any definition it adds to the picture it takes away with excessive picture noise. These problems are further exaggerated when using full mode to watch lbx movies recorded on Tivo. Is this a mpeg2/upconvert phenomenon? Can anyone lend any advice?

------------------

-Jeff

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
My tivo's picture's a little fuzzy too, doubt there's anything we can do about it, I think the F38310 is just showing how bad our tivo (s-vid) PQ really is!!!

Hope I'm wrong!

JediMastr

------------------

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Ever since a TiVo software release a LONNG way back (sometime in 2000--can't remember exact date) there have been problems with picture softness. When you also factor in the limitation of that TiVo feeding your lovely 38" picture tube with a mere standard definition signal through an s-video connection, well... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/tongue.gif

When I got my HDTV-capable VT540, I pretty much stopped using my TiVo because I could no longer stand the blurry, washed-out images it foisted upon my projector. If you have a spare computer lying around, you might want to visit the Home Theater Computer forum and check out information on HDTV cards for your PC that can mimic much of the functionality of the TiVo (I have an accessDTV card and am generally satisfied with it.)

If TiVo ever recognizes that there is a market for HDTV and comes out with a high-definition recorder I might rejoin the fold, but for now my Sony SVR-2000 is collecting dust on my A/V rack.

------------------

Scott Gammans
DFAST is EVIL! BOYCOTT ANTI-CONSUMER 5C/DVI/HDCP MANUFACTURERS!
The Scooterplex Cinema 1

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a Tivo with my F38310 serving up a Comcast signal. As long as the channel comes in well I have a decent pic through the Tivo, though not great. There is a software fix for the latest bug but you had to request it. I don't know if it's still available, but you can check this thread . I also found that tweaking the contrast/black level/color to make the picture a bit brighter than Avia recommends helped a lot.

I second the call for Tivo to get with the HDTV program. I'm thinking of creating a PC to serve this function as well.

------------------
RCA F38310

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a Direct Tivo that doesn't have any options for resolution or picture quality. The MPEG2 rate is what ever DirecTV is outputting.

------------------

-Jeff

RCA F38310 HDTV

DSR6000r TIVO

GXCEB0T TIVO

HK AVR75

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jeffa:
I have a Direct Tivo that doesn't have any options for resolution or picture quality. The MPEG2 rate is what ever DirecTV is outputting.

I have purchased a 38310, which I love so far. Direct TV is coming tomorrow. I've had a TiVo for over a year now. How do you make TiVo work with the 38310? It has no video outputs. Can a TiVo box passthrough the DirectTV signal? Do I have to buy a Philips Direct TiVo and not use the built in Direct TV receiver?

Joe

[This message has been edited by joemonty (edited 09-12-2001).]

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
what is the 33838.... anyway? Is that the tv or the reciever or what? All tv's and directv recievers should have video out unless you get a TV with directv built in. If it is built in then you cannot use tivo with it no matter what you do unless you buy an external Directv box which would be silly since you bought the tv to have the build in Directv Tuner.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Savageone79:
what is the 33838.... anyway? Is that the tv or the reciever or what? All tv's and directv recievers should have video out unless you get a TV with directv built in. If it is built in then you cannot use tivo with it no matter what you do unless you buy an external Directv box which would be silly since you bought the tv to have the build in Directv Tuner.
The RCA 38310 is the 38" widescreen proscan direct view box with built in HDTV and Direct TV. Your point is my concern. I assume there is no way. There is NO video out, a (supposed) problem for RCA and others due to copy protection.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Can you use a second mutli switch at the in bound end of the SAT cable and then split the signal between the SAT in on the RCA and a second dss receiver linked to a TIVO?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Can you use a second mutli switch at the in bound end of the SAT cable and then split the signal between the SAT in on the RCA and a second dss receiver linked to a TIVO?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tfeldstein:
It seems like the only choice is to dump the internal Direct TV capabilities for an external box.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I thought the beauty of DirecTivo was the fact that the MPEG stream from the DirecTV decoder was directly recorded on the hard drive, and the decoder operated upon the data from the hard drive, thus no NTSC to MPEG conversion. With a standard TIVO, the compression and conversion to MPEG is done in the box with a MPEG encoder that is of much lower quality than that used at the DirecTV uplink site. I was considering DirecTivo because I thought it wouldn't result in a degradation of the quality of the original signal.

Anyone know if the DirecTivo re-encodes the MPEG signal or not??? If so, the quality will be as low as standard TIVO.

Bob Smith

·
Registered
710 Posts
It definitely does not re-encode. There isn't even an MPEG encoder in the box.

That doesn't necessarily mean the picture will be identical to every other DirecTV box - there might be differences in the video encoder or whatnot, but there is no degradation introduced by the MPEG at least. Some things on DTV lately are compressed to within an inch of their life, so its not necessarily true that all channels on a DTivo will look better than cable->standard TIVO. Local channels in particular look like crap on DTV lately, I can imagine a normal TIVO on high quality mode would do a better job (but at much higher bandwidth usage as well).

Still, if you have DirecTV there's no contest - DTivo is far easier to live with, esp now with dual tuners activated.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a stand-alone Tivo/cable with my 38310. It is true that you need to use an external tuner if you want to use Tivo with a 38310 because there are no video-outs from this TV.

------------------
RCA F38310

·
Registered
801 Posts
Innerloop,

Thanks so much for the response. I never imagined they would re-encode with a local MPEG encoder, but stranger things have happened---

I realize the local station feeds are already heavily compressed, and the quality is poor, I was just hoping that the "higher end" ppvs, etc. might be reproduced as well upon playback as the original signal.

Of course, what we all want, is something that will record the HD as well as other content, and play it back throught the component video outputs, that's the box I'm waiting for, though I kind of doubt it will ever surface.

Let's dream-- A Zenith box that records raw MPEG from both satellite and ATSC to hard drive, and outputs it through component video outputs----

Nirvana

Bob Smith

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.