AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After four months with no trouble with my F38310, I guess it is my turn.

Last night we were watching a DVD movie and the TV turned itself off! I picked up the remote and turned it back on. After another 15 minutes, it turned itself off again! One more time, the remote turned it back on. Then, after another 30 minutes, it turned off again, and I cannot get it back on. Tried unplugging the set, tried the button on top, nothing works. And, of course, it quit just when our movie, The Last Castle, was coming to the exciting ending! Murphy works! Even the fan isn't runnning.

I have called RCA and a tech is coming out on Thursday. I am suspecting the power supply, but was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with the TV turning off. I don't recall reading about this problem. I just hope the tech can fix it quickly since it has been working flawlessly till now.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The 2 units at Circuit City had the same exact problem. The sales guy said that it was because there were too many TVs plugged into the same socket. I gave him a weird look, and he proceded to turn off like 10 tvs that were around the F38310 and BAM the one I was looking at powered on and STAYED on.

As soon as he turned the other TVs back on, the RCA started to act weird, and would eventually turn itself off. Seems like they all have the same problem, so make sure she has plenty of JUICE!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The RCA tech just left. The problem was discovered when he opened up the back and looked down at the main circuit board. There was a small rectangular metal can which holds a small circuit board which had fallen down onto the main board. Apparently after some time and rough shipping (and maybe some loud speaker vibrations of my own!) the can came out of its plastic clip and fell down. This caused an intermittent short and the TV protection circuit shut itself off. This worked twice and the third time, the main fuse blew.

Replaced fuse, put rectangular can back into its clip and everything works. Did not even lose any station data or tweaking I had already done.

This is a refurbished TV and the tech said some inside sticker with an important tenth digit was missing for his reporting to RCA. He made a call to somebody and it was not a problem. RCA will reimburse them.

Whew! Dodged a bullet. I hope nothing really major goes wrong because he told me the TV, once broken, has to frequently be taken to the shop since they are "a little hard to work on."

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
O/T Last summer A lightening bolt hit our building the F-38310 moved, to get it back into the correct position. I a cripple slid on my trusty 4.5 M.P.H. electric scooter. I hit the left corner with my tire to put it back in place.

It's getting into lightening season again my good old trusty speedy scooter is ready to push the HDTV and stand back again with my scooters tire and push her back again.

1 year and 15 days of ownership of one marvelous wide screen watching, to fill the never ending hours of the days, I have in my life in my apartment. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.