AVS Forum banner

1281 - 1300 of 4446 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips  /t/1467675/f8500-recommended-settings-thread/1260#post_23748500

I just did my gaming mode by eye in Standard mode / warm2 / Gamma 0. I will attempt a cal on it at some point.

HDMI renamed to PC / no game mode turned on.

Thanks Pie. I ended up doing the same after I got GTA5 on PS3. Do you know any way around having to change the PC and back to BluRay to reenable movie mode? Or is it something I will just have to deal with.

·
Registered
314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips  /t/1467675/f8500-recommended-settings-thread/1260#post_23748488

^Wii is 720p IIRC?

Looks like tearing. Twiddle with both Wii output settings and TV settings.

Pie...did you just use the term "twiddle"?

·
Banned
1,899 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymouseusf  /t/1467675/f8500-recommended-settings-thread/1260#post_23748909

Pie...did you just use the term "twiddle"?

Examples of TWIDDLE

Just twiddle the dial on the radio a bit for better reception.

Twiddle the knob on the telescope until things are in focus.

She twiddled her pen while she talked on the phone.

She twiddled with her pen while she talked on the phone.

I lived in the UK a while lol.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips  /t/1467675/f8500-recommended-settings-thread/1260#post_23748488

^Wii is 720p IIRC?

Looks like tearing. Twiddle with both Wii output settings and TV settings.

480p. Yeah, I think it's tearing also. The wii outputs a 60p signal, could it have something to do with that?

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cg006  /t/1467675/f8500-recommended-settings-thread/1260#post_23741728

For you guys already gaming on the panel...

How is the image retention situation?

I got my PN60F8500 about 2 weeks ago... have been doing nothing but watching tv shows/movies enjoying the awesome picture levels. Hoping before the next gen drops i can have on it at least over 300 hours.

I've never owned a plasma and i am kinda taking a leap of faith here and hope i wont get bit in the A$$ with burn in. Some of my buddies have had good experience with gaming on their plasmas. I am a big gamer. Cant wait for November. PS4/XboxOne on reserve!!!!!!!!!

Whats your experience so far?

Also... how can i check the hours on the panel? I have not had luck finding the steps for the 8500 series and i am also waiting for that non-touch remote (thanks for the tip guys) to arrive.***seems i HAVE to wait for that remote before i can do anything anyways****

I'm at a little over 300 hrs played GTA 5 on the PS3 last night for about an hour or more and had no issues whatsoever.

·
Banned
1,899 Posts
^ In PC mode (standard) Cell at 7 is nice

Contrast 94

Brightness 40

Warm 2

Gamma 0

White balance is the same as my movie cal with very little deviation.

Good to check your console is outputting full RGB and that the TV is set to HDMI normal, or choose RGB limited and HDMI low but do not inter-mix the settings or you'll clip.

All done by eye, but close I think.

·
Banned
1,899 Posts
^ I really don't know sorry. Not having a Wii and not having the problem doesn't help

Wii uses component?

/edit: What happens if you don't use game mode but rename input to PC?

·
Registered
25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips  /t/1467675/f8500-recommended-settings-thread/1260#post_23753295

^ I really don't know sorry. Not having a Wii and not having the problem doesn't help

Wii uses component?

/edit: What happens if you don't use game mode but rename input to PC?

Yeah...

Yes, it uses component. I can't use PC mode because it only kiks in with a 60hz signal (displayed as @60hz) and the Wii sends a signal displayed as 60p.

·
Registered
63 Posts
thanks for the settings. I pretty muched copied as much as i could form movie mode and have the cell around 10?ithink...

Super bright.

Was playing some Shank on the PS3. the hud left some light IR.

Cant wait to get that remote.... i want to check the hours on the tv...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was connecting the wii through component to the AV receiver and then outputing the signla through HDMI. I connected the wii through component directly to the tv and input lag went down significantly but for some reason, just when I turn on the wii and the tv I get some strange flickering that goes away after a couple of minutes.

Here is a video of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kIkXUdk-B8&feature=youtu.be

This is a still from the same video of the image flickering: http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/1941/j0lx.png

Does anyone have any ideas of why this is happening?

·
Registered
25 Posts
It could be, but it only does it for the first two minutes and only with the wii ( I tested with an old dvd player with component output and it doesn't happen). The wii works fine with the same cables on other tvs. Very odd. It doesn't bother me too much because it only does it for a couple of minutes but I'd like to know the reason n_n .

·
Registered
305 Posts
New 64' F8500 owner here. I'm excited share that Tom Huffman will be at my home today calibrating both my 51D8000 and 64F8500. My first time getting a tv calibrated so I'm excited to see the results of what everyone is saying is the best thing to do. The picture out of the box looks great IMO.

I broke it in by simple watching my usual programming and color slides.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Has anyone been brave enough to do some marathon gaming on this set yet? like 5 hours+ straight?

Got my remote and checked the hours.. 208+ hours already... no slides... all pure tv/movie watching...still iffy on the gaming,,, have about 40 days before my return period is up. So still testing the waters

·
Banned
1,899 Posts
^ Keep the cell light low enough to simulate a dimly lit room - 35-45fL

With PC mode on, standard, cell at around +/-7 does the trick.

Another good idea is to set pixel shift on. this was suggested recently on this board and makes sense.

GTA V for 2x5 hour sessions without any problems so far.

/edit: +/- 7 Cell is for my 51 inch TV. Larger TV's may require slightly different values.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for the information!

i have the 60"

i also like the cell setting around 7 now when using pcmode/standard. anything higher is wayy to bright!!

i got pixel shift on all settings 4x4x1

·
Registered
63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips  /t/1467675/f8500-recommended-settings-thread/1260#post_23753256

^ In PC mode (standard) Cell at 7 is nice

Contrast 94

Brightness 40

Warm 2

Gamma 0

White balance is the same as my movie cal with very little deviation.

Good to check your console is outputting full RGB and that the TV is set to HDMI normal, or choose RGB limited and HDMI low but do not inter-mix the settings or you'll clip.

All done by eye, but close I think.
Just wondering ... Isn't contrast at 94 kinda high considering you want to dim the panel to play games?

1281 - 1300 of 4446 Posts