AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fable III was just announced for Winter 2010. Also, Fable II is going to be released as 5 episodes come next month. The first episode will be free, then you will be given the option to purchase further chapters. At what I would estimate will be $10 a chapter, this looks like an awesome way to buy a game. Essentially you get a demo that rolls your progress directly into the main game. None of this "Play the first level as the demo, then slog through it again when you buy the game" ******** that is so common. Also, you are then given the option to give up on the game after only dropping $10, $20, or $30 on it, instead of full retail.

This is the way you do Games On Demand properly.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/49...t-Announcement

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Methinks Mass Effect and Oblivion both lend themselves to this episodic treatment.

Plus a couple of the stage-based shooters.

Considering how many gamers buy games they never finish this could be interesting.

And yes, it is a clever evolution of Games-on-demand beyond simply displacing retail sales. If other developers get onboard this can really change the business...

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That episodic Fable II seems to be coming out shortly. The links just popped up on my dashboard, but they are broken at the moment. I figure we'll see Episode I for download within the next couple of hours.

·
Banned
9,255 Posts
Wow. This may be the biggest scam in gaming history, at least in terms of cost.

Why anyone would pay $40 - $50 for a game they can actually own for about $10 and then resell for a similar price upon completion is beyond me. Maybe they are the same people that rent-to-own a $400 TV, couch, or compluter for "only" $25 per week with a 2 year contract. What a bargain!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 /forum/post/17265614

Wow. This may be the biggest scam in gaming history, at least in terms of cost.

Why anyone would pay $40 - $50 for a game they can actually own for about $10 and then resell for a similar price upon completion is beyond me. Maybe they are the same people that rent-to-own a $400 TV, couch, or compluter for "only" $25 per week with a 2 year contract. What a bargain!

QTF!

So does the digital edition come with virtual K-Y?

Amazon has Fable II Plantium Edition slated for an Oct 6, 2009 release. And it's listed for $29.99!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres /forum/post/17025145

Methinks Mass Effect and Oblivion both lend themselves to this episodic treatment.

Plus a couple of the stage-based shooters.

Considering how many gamers buy games they never finish this could be interesting.

And yes, it is a clever evolution of Games-on-demand beyond simply displacing retail sales. If other developers get onboard this can really change the business...

I agree with this. Both these RPG games would do very well in episode format. On another note, I haven't heard any news on the ES V. Is this shelved indefinitely now? The Oblivion thread has been quiet lately.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
they said no ESV.... i still dont believe it though.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd /forum/post/17267668

they said no ESV.... i still dont believe it though.

I thought the retracted that as soon as it was posted that they said it.

EDIT:
http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/101/1015141p1.html

"Posting on the official Bethesda blog, Pete Hines, VP of public relations, wanted to clear the air on the matter and let everyone know Elder Scrolls is still very much in the company's plans.

"Both Todd and I have said repeatedly that, of course, we're going to do another Elder Scrolls game," Hines said. "The last one was enormously popular. So was the one before that. You get the idea. So do we."

"Todd and Bethesda Game Studios are hard at work on their next big game, and we're not ready to discuss it," he added. "As always, we prefer to have something amazing to show when we talk about it. We aren't going to confirm or deny or comment on speculation, nor are we going to give hints about anything. If you know us by now, you know we don't really do that."

Gamespot thinks that other game is Fallout 4
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/unions...&union_id=1481

Here is Bethesdas blog about it from 17 Aug 2009.
http://bethblog.com/index.php/2009/0...-game-mmo-etc/

·
Registered
4,881 Posts
Can you actually get achievements on the free 1st episode?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
the first episode is free?!?!?!??!??!

Whoa I wish they would do this more games so we wouldn't get burned.

Games has either/or demo or Ep.

I would if someone could make a Seasons game like tv. I every week you get a new chunk to play with....

·
Registered
4,881 Posts
Yeah, I found it yesterday before finding this thread (of course, right now I'm playing through Fable 2 for the first time...borrowing it from a friend). I thought maybe it was add-on content or something.

Ep 1 is free, 2-5 you pay for.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripeer /forum/post/17269199

the first episode is free?!?!?!??!??!

Whoa I wish they would do this more games so we wouldn't get burned.

Games has either/or demo or Ep.

I would if someone could make a Seasons game like tv. I every week you get a new chunk to play with....

That's all well and good until your game gets cancelled mid-season. SiN Episodes anyone?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts