AVS Forum banner

1001 - 1020 of 1030 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ahoy fabric frame builders!

I'm building some frames, including one that goes over the projector port. See photo.

Any advice on how to wrap the fabric (FR701) around the inside hole of the PJ port?

I could frame it with some molding. Prefer not to do that.

Polyester doesn't stretch much. Thought of applying some heat... haven't tried it yet though.

Sent a message to [email protected] asking for advice. No response yet.

Searched around this thread and the avsform in general. Didn't find anything.... might still be there though. Please forward any useful links.

-llj

Attachments

·
Registered
6,434 Posts
Can you remove the black trim piece, then get the fabric into the hole and secured (stapled?), then reattach the trim?

That might be the tidiest way as I've found it's tricky to get a good finish when trying to get fabric into a hole (either square or round)

·
Registered
20 Posts
The "black trim piece" is part of the structural frame, not trim.

Creating some sort of trim piece is always an option, but I'm trying to avoid that.

I was hoping someone had a trick for smoothly covering these inside holes.

-llj

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,004
Ahoy fabric frame builders!

I'm building some frames, including one that goes over the projector port. See photo.

Any advice on how to wrap the fabric (FR701) around the inside hole of the PJ port?

I could frame it with some molding. Prefer not to do that.

Polyester doesn't stretch much. Thought of applying some heat... haven't tried it yet though.

Sent a message to [email protected] asking for advice. No response yet.

Searched around this thread and the avsform in general. Didn't find anything.... might still be there though. Please forward any useful links.

-llj
With some careful cutting you should be able to upholster that opening. It looks fairly large, so you will have lots of room to work.

·
Registered
6,434 Posts
The "black trim piece" is part of the structural frame, not trim.

Creating some sort of trim piece is always an option, but I'm trying to avoid that.

I was hoping someone had a trick for smoothly covering these inside holes.

-llj
Oh OK. I saw the screws and thought you could remove and reattach it easily, that was all.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,006

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,009 (Edited)
@GPowers

Greg,

Tell me more about the lights around the frame. Are they LED string lights? Do they chase? I'm going to build out a marquee next and I wanted that incorporate that traditional light look to some extend. Can you point me to where you got them. I'm also going to include some LED "Neon" to give it some color.

Bud
Bud, over on the http://www.avsforum.com/forum/32-theater-room-items-accessories/2832977-movie-poster-marquee.html#post52746441 thread, post 7 has a YouTube video of some of the possiable light animation effect you can create. If you know C++ and/or can copy and paste code you can create just about any lighting effect you want in any color you want. Plus the parts are very inexpensive on Ebay. It just takes some patients as shipping times are long, 10 to 20 days for some parts. If you're in a hurry, most of the parts are available on amazon but can cost 2 to 10 times as much as on ebay.

I like your new theater, you are really plus-ing it.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,010
I'm starting the research process to upgrade the theater to a 4k projector and moving from 110" screen to 150" screen. Not an easy task in the current market.

First the big question is what technology to embrace when buying a 4k projector and still paying and affordable price. Most 4K projectors in an affordable DIY homeowner price use some kind of pixel multiplication process. Some people say you must have a 4k chip or nothing. I have watched several reviews and they make a compelling demonstration showing side by side screen projection and the pixel multiplier is 99% as good and a 4K chip. They are so close that your eye cannot detect a difference, in pixels, at normal viewing distances.

Second is getting a projector with enough lumens to project and 150" image and be able to throw that image in less than 18 feet. This is one of the reasons the Sony VW285ES will not work. The Sonys, light source, is only good up to 130" but it is a full 4k Chip. Enter the Optoma UHZ65, this unit has a laser light source and can easily throw the 150" image in the 18'. Side by Side comparisons show the UHZ65 on par or better then the Sony VW285ES. The Sony VW385ES is better than the UHZ65 with it's controllable iris and lens memory BUT is is twice the price and still will not throw at 150" picture. So the Optoma UHZ65 looks like the main contender for now.

Next is finding a acoustically transparent screen for under a $1,000!

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,012
How about JVC 2017 RS410/510 or if enough budget the 420/520?
I’ve got the 2016 RS400, and will upgrade from 130” scope to 145-150” scope later this summer.
The JVC RS420 cost the same as the UHZ65. At 150" the RS420 is just beyond it's max screen size, the UHZ65 is comfortably about midpoint of its screen size. The other plus of the UH65 is it's Lumens 3000 vs the 1800 of the JVC. The UHZ65 also has better contrast and lamp life.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Are you planning to go 150" 16:9 diagonal? I have the RS400 with a 155" screen and it is bright enough to light it up even after 900 hours on the bulb.
I doubt the UHZ65 will have better contrast than the JVC. If it were me, I would look at a used RS500 which would be about the same price as the RS420 and newer..

The JVC RS420 cost the same as the UHZ65. At 150" the RS420 is just beyond it's max screen size, the UHZ65 is comfortably about midpoint of its screen size. The other plus of the UH65 is it's Lumens 3000 vs the 1800 of the JVC. The UHZ65 also has better contrast and lamp life.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you think putting fabric on the walls is tough, imagine putting it on an 11 foot ceiling. My ceiling has 3 inches used to put in 2 inches of 6 pound rockwool with a 1 inch air gap. The entire ceiling acts as a bass trap. I made custom plastic washers to hold the rockwool, and I had to lower and prepare all the air conditioning vents, lights, frames for my automated speakers, and my 4 atmos speakers. Plus, I had to deal with existing crown moldings!! What a pain! I used the Fabricmate system.

Check out this video if you want to see something really awesome that nobody else in the world has!

Here are some pics of the ceiling prep:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,016
If you think putting fabric on the walls is tough, imagine putting it on an 11 foot ceiling. My ceiling has 3 inches used to put in 2 inches of 6 pound rockwool with a 1 inch air gap. The entire ceiling acts as a bass trap. I made custom plastic washers to hold the rockwool, and I had to lower and prepare all the air conditioning vents, lights, frames for my automated speakers, and my 4 atmos speakers. Plus, I had to deal with existing crown moldings!! What a pain! I used the Fabricmate system.

Here are some pics of the ceiling prep:
Sounds like a lot of work, also SOUNDS like it paid off. Enjoy your home theater.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,017 (Edited)
I caved and bought the Sony VW285es, was more than I had budgeted. BUT>>>>>Now that I have used it I'm glad I got the Sony.

The UHZ65 had very limited lens shift, so the mounting position is critical. The Sony has some amazing lens shift. I was able to place it on a box and try it out as soon as I received the projector. Now I need to determine what screen to upgrade too. Two decisions have been made, first switch from 16:9 to 2.35:1 screen ratio. And Second is the stay with a white baised screen material as the room has total light control. Also the sweep spot, for size, is somewhere between 130 and 140 diagonal.

So the big problem is whos screen to buy? 14 years ago I purchased a Steward Luxus Deluxe 110". It has been great for the NEC 9PG and Panasonic AE4000u Projectors. Back then there were limited options. Today there a lot more budget conscious screen manufacturers. So i'm in the process of reviewing screen material samples.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,019 (Edited)
I have been looking at a LOT of screen material from Seymour, Silver Ticket, Elite and Stewart Neve, both acoustical transparent and not. Trying to evaluate all the different option, like flat or curved. There are some great price points out there that were not available 14 years ago.

Well after watching the new projector on the Stewart 16:9 110" UltraMatte 150 for two weeks and trying all the sample up against the UltraMatte We decided to just spend the extra money (way over our original budget) and buy a new 2.35:1 132" screen from Stewart film screens and use the same screen material the UltraMatte 150.

So now we have a 14 day wait for Stwart to build the screen.

1001 - 1020 of 1030 Posts