AVS Forum banner
  • If you've ever wanted to ask questions on industry standards when setting up your home theater, you're in luck! Peter Aylett, 30 year integrator and partner at HTE Acoustic Interior Design will be answering questions until Sun. Nov. 28th! The thread is now open, and you can join in here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I just wanted to hear different opinions regarding the different material people have chosen for their DIY panels. Joann Fabrics currently has their Symphony Broadcloth on sale this weekend, marked down from $3.99/yard to $1.99/yard. I'm not sure of it's "breatheability", though. I've read that burlap is a very good choice, but it's more expensive and it's kind of a rough texture. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm actually building burlap ones currently. Should have them done and up tomorrow. Will post pics when done.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Not a big fan myself of burlap.

1)It can have "runs" in the weave.

2)It has fuzzy balls.

3)It sags over time,

4)When you pull it, the weave never is level so looks odd.

5)If using lighter density fiberglass the front will bulge out.

Many people have used burlap and are fine with it, but there are other breathable fabrics out there that look much nicer, IMO. If you have the budget I would look at Guilford Of Maine. You can always order a sample of the there fabrics for free off there website to take a look. Look at the FR701 and Anchorage.
http://www.guilfordofmaine.com/acoustic

Just a pick the color, add to cart and they will send it to you in 2 days.

Reactions: saginawjuggalo

·
Registered
309 Posts
The burlap is turning out nice. You have to take your time stretching it. But for the price it's worth it over 11 dollars/yd for GOM for me at least. There is no runs in the weave. It is a little fuzzy but it can be vacuumed off. If you staple one side and pull even it will be even.

·
Registered
309 Posts
It's not even close to finished but a work in progress as budget allows. Making these panels for the whole room. Then front screen wall will be black fabric with a diy spandex screen in the middle. Can only go 100" though due to room restraints. Still better than the 73" picture I get now. Thanks for the compliment only like 9 more to go. Taking allot longer than I thought but want it done right

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS3forlife  /t/1522558/fabric-material-for-absorption-panels#post_24487952

It's not even close to finished but a work in progress as budget allows. Making these panels for the whole room. Then front screen wall will be black fabric with a diy spandex screen in the middle. Can only go 100" though due to room restraints. Still better than the 73" picture I get now. Thanks for the compliment only like 9 more to go. Taking allot longer than I thought but want it done right

"Good things come to those who wait." "Patience is a virtue." And any of those other corny sayings. Take your time and you'll be happier in the long-run and you'll have a better sense of self accomplishment.

I'm jealous. 100". I'm stuck with a 46". I've sunk all of my money into sound upgrades lately, so no money to drop on a newer bigger TV. There appear to be several good deals at the moment, too. Figures!

Best of luck with everything.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Thanks. Got a build thread with my current setup in it. Shows my diy rack and better pictures of the room before

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.