AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to map out my yardage of fabric for the frames on the wall.

Just an example...If I have a 24" by 24" frame, how much extra fabric beyond the 24" should I get if I am wrapping a 1" think frame?

3" on each side for the wrapping and stapling? So this would be a 30" by 30" piece of material

thanks!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Just trying to map out my yardage of fabric for the frames on the wall.

Just an example...If I have a 24" by 24" frame, how much extra fabric beyond the 24" should I get if I am wrapping a 1" think frame?

3" on each side for the wrapping and stapling? So this would be a 30" by 30" piece of material

thanks!
Depends- does the fabric stretch? Does it stretch in all directions? If it doesn't, look at the dimensions and add enough to allow a good grip for stapling it in place. You could leave 1", but your hands will hate you for it. 1-1/2" isn't bad and it won't waste too much. Face it- there's always waste when you're covering something.

Have you ever done anything like this? If not, buy some cheap fabric with the same stretchability and practice. Also, in case you don't already know, fabric comes in only a couple of standard widths- 46" and 54". If the one you want is only available in 46", think about orienting the panels diagonally if the pattern allows- you'll have plenty, that way. It's also possible that the fabric will stretch better on a bias than across/along the weave.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
That should be plenty.. remember that most fabric is stretched as you apply it.

I had some with pretty tight tolerances just because I could use the roll more efficiently.

When I installed on frames I started on one side with just enough to staple so I wouldn't have to trim it (cutting fabric gets real old real quick).

You could probably do 28x28, but I think 30x30 would be an optimal size. The number of panels and width of the roll may dictate some deviation.

Tim

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
That should be plenty.. remember that most fabric is stretched as you apply it.

I had some with pretty tight tolerances just because I could use the roll more efficiently.

When I installed on frames I started on one side with just enough to staple so I wouldn't have to trim it (cutting fabric gets real old real quick).

You could probably do 28x28, but I think 30x30 would be an optimal size. The number of panels and width of the roll may dictate some deviation.

Tim
If you're using shears and snipping every few inches, you're right- it gets tiring, but if you use a knife or glide the shears, it's a lot easier, faster and your hand won't get so tired.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all!!! Good reminder about the "stretchy" factor. In my calc's I will not factor that in as I want to sure :)

Yes the colors I am looking at are 54" and 66"...mapping it out on Excel this morning so I can optimize and make the "right" purchase amount when I finally get down to a final two color's.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Thanks all!!! Good reminder about the "stretchy" factor. In my calc's I will not factor that in as I want to sure :)

Yes the colors I am looking at are 54" and 66"...mapping it out on Excel this morning so I can optimize and make the "right" purchase amount when I finally get down to a final two color's.
The color picking is the hardest part :) I probably ordered about 25 samples from GOM, I am supposed to finish up everything before my Wife's baby shower April 11th.. so much to do still and don't even have the fabric picked out. Need to order mine this week for sure.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The color picking is the hardest part :) I probably ordered about 25 samples from GOM, I am supposed to finish up everything before my Wife's baby shower April 11th.. so much to do still and don't even have the fabric picked out. Need to order mine this week for sure.

Yeah no kidding...my wife is starting to make fun of my obsessive nature regarding colors and layouts! haha

I have branched out to non GOM materials now as well so the problem is compounding :(

All good though and good luck with your "deadline" ;)

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I left 3" extra on all sides and cut off the excess after stapling. Seemed to be the right amount to get a good grip and pull things tight.

I wouldn't buy one of these just for your fabric panels (unless you have a lot), but if you already have one, they do a great job cutting fabric. One of my favorite tools on my build.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,173 Posts
I add 6 just like everyone said, be sure you know how to cut square pieces, you pull a thread then shine a light from below. straight cut pieces are helpful in getting your first edge attached straight to the frames.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks all for the tips!!

Yeah I will order a few extra yards for my mistakes and any repairs down the road on a panel (if needed).

I add 6 just like everyone said, be sure you know how to cut square pieces, you pull a thread then shine a light from below. straight cut pieces are helpful in getting your first edge attached straight to the frames.

Awesome tip BIG...thanks!

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Also make sure to get some fabric shears vs. scissors. BIG difference. You can get the from just about any big store (Wal-Mart, Target, Joanns, Hobby Lobby, etc.). They are very sharp and won't chew the fabric.

I've worked with a lot of GOM -- it can shread/unravel if you aren't somewhat careful.

·
Registered
670 Posts
You need to take care that they typically don't guarantee that you won't have imperfections in the fabric. I bought Knoll and I liked it alot (and still do) but I had to look out for runs. There was a 2 foot line running through one of my frames (7 foot frame) and I had to cut it off the frame and use another 8' of fabric to finish that frame. that is a bad yard but not looking closely enough I wasted almost 3 yards.

I paid $2 / yd for the fabric based on a link people posted here (EBay guy who has a real world store. I ordered an entire roll from his store) 50 yds was cheaper than the 21 yrds I needed if I bought it by the yard. Way cheaper.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I'm doing frames now and added about 2" to each side for stapling. It all depends on the thickness of your frame and as others have said, the stretchiness of the fabric. Mine frames are just under 1" so 2" gives me just enough to hold and pull tight.

You need to take care that they typically don't guarantee that you won't have imperfections in the fabric.
I paid $2 / yd for the fabric based on a link people posted here (EBay guy who has a real world store. I ordered an entire roll from his store) 50 yds was cheaper than the 21 yrds I needed if I bought it by the yard. Way cheaper.
I can't remember where I bought GOM from for my 2nd theater, but I recall some bad oil stains on one of my colors. The company took care of shipping out a new order and labels for shipping the old order back. I think it might have been fabricmate. While the eBay guy's prices are good, I did try giving him a call before ordering this time around and he didn't give me a warm & fuzzy that he'd stand behind his product. I ordered from him anyway since I only needed a couple yards and he didn't have any minimums.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I am working on figuring this out myself.
If you use a 24x48 OC703 panel with 2x2 lumber framing, you'd have a fabric panel with a front of 27". With 3" overlap on each side per BIG, that would be 33" of fabric for each panel. Since GOM comes in 66" width, this seems like the best dimensions for optimal fabric panels.

Does this sound correct?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts