AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have completed the drywall in the theater and I'm ready to begin mudding and taping the walls. I'll be doing fabric treatments on the wall from the floor to the bottom of the soffits.

How do I finish the drywall in the room? I know I need to mud and tape the sides of the soffits and the ceiling, but do I need to finish the walls? Did you cover the screwheads and put a first coat of mud and tape up? Did you sinifh the inside corners between the wall and the bottom of the soffits? Did you primer the walls (that will ultimately be under the treatments)?

Thank you for the help.

CJ

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
It's my understanding that all that is needed is a rough sanding of the joints.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I plan on only doing a rough finish and then primering. I think primer is required to pass inspection. Besides, you may want to darken (paint) the walls so white doesn't bleed through the edges. I am not planning on paying someone to finish the theater walls, but will pay them to do the ceiling.

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,189 Posts
I paid someone to tape and mud my entire basement because at the time the WAF wasn't on board with the fabric concept.

Knowing now. I would tape and mud the walls at least one/two coats with no sanding. It helps to have a nice flat surface for furring strips at the seams rather then unfilled tapered seams. I would use acoustical caulk to fill the wall to soffit gap and call it a day. Being me I would give it a coat of primer to "seal" the mud and the wall assembly.

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan /forum/post/14198028

I think primer is required to pass inspection.

There is no inspection after close-in and before fabric unless you want to get your final before totally finishing the room.

What they can't see they can't inspect.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I went ahead and did normal mudding/taping/texturing to the whole room. I knew I wanted to seal the seams of the drywall (both layers). I'm also going to paint to match my GOM so that I can put my panels up over time and the room will still look good. Also, there are some spots near the entrance where there won't be treatment.

One consideration for me was resale. I would love for somebody to come in, love my HT, and be willing to pay $30k extra just to get it. However, if somebody is looking to buy the house and the wife wants another bedroom, I want them to be able to picture that room as a non-HT without too much in the way of contractors, $$, etc. Having normal textured/painted drywall under the wall treatments helps in that direction.

Of course, my false screen wall sort of scrubs that idea, but consistency is overrated.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/14198061

There is no inspection after close-in and before fabric unless you want to get your final before totally finishing the room.

What they can't see they can't inspect.

True.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the responses.

I figured I'd go ahead and do the first coat or two of mud and taping. I was even thinking of primering with a dark color for bleed through.

I want to get the walls primered so I can get the inspections done before I go crazy with wall treatments, riser, stage, etc.

Thanks again.

CJ

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How long does it take the GOM folks to ship samples? I ordered some three weeks ago and they are still not here.

What experience have others had?

CJ

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum /forum/post/14198735

How long does it take the GOM folks to ship samples? I ordered some three weeks ago and they are still not here.

What experience have others had?

CJ

One week max, you did order on-line from the GOM web site?

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum /forum/post/14198628

I want to get the walls primered so I can get the inspections done before I go crazy with wall treatments, riser, stage, etc.

CJ

If you ask for the final before the carpet is in there may be a special requirement for all of your outlets. They will expect them to be protected similar to those in wet areas.

At least that is what my inspector told me.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
My plan is to partially fabric the walls. I'm figuring on mudding and sanding behind where the fabric will go just to practice. And rattling around in the back of my brain was the same idea that if I (or someone who buys later) wants to redo it, it will be substantially complete.

Looks like you're moving right along.

Tom

·
Registered
4,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/14198854

If you ask for the final before the carpet is in there may be a special requirement for all of your outlets. They will expect them to be protected similar to those in wet areas.

At least that is what my inspector told me.

In Fairfax that is not the case. I was told last week that they just want to have the concrete and walls have a layer of paint on them. No requirement for "finished" floors.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I love that there are so many No Va build threads -- I live in Fairfax/Tysons area. I'm way behind where you guys are (still framing) and it's more of a media/multi-purpose room than a dedicated theater. Nonetheless, I'm utilizing many of the construction techniques recommended in this forum for soundproofing, decoupling, etc ...

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Queation at hand - my plan was to just caulk the seams behind the fabric to save some labor on taping. But I hired out the drywall and the contractor forgot to tell the laborers, so it ended up mudded and taped anyway.

I wouldn't worry about dark primer for color bleed-through. you won't be able to tell through the fabric.

My GOM samples also came quickly (

·
Registered
4,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbain /forum/post/14199492

I love that there are so many No Va build threads -- I live in Fairfax/Tysons area. I'm way behind where you guys are (still framing) and it's more of a media/multi-purpose room than a dedicated theater. Nonetheless, I'm utilizing many of the construction techniques recommended in this forum for soundproofing, decoupling, etc ...

The good news is that you keep the same inspector during the entire project in Fairfax - each has a set territory. So in theory, you should get the same answer when you ask about these sort of issue from the same person.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/14198807

One week max, you did order on-line from the GOM web site?

Yes. I sent them an email about it. I thought that folks on this board got their samples quickly.

CJ

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan /forum/post/14199913

The good news is that you keep the same inspector during the entire project in Fairfax - each has a set territory. So in theory, you should get the same answer when you ask about these sort of issue from the same person.

Out here in the country, we'ze only got one of them there a fancy inspectors, so we'll see Bob each time we need to get it a looked at.

CJ

1 - 20 of 31 Posts