AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My screen is recessed about 30 inches between two walls and a header wall on top. I am getting some light refelction off my screen onto the side walls. The walls are already painted a flat black. I was wondering if there was any cloth or fabric that I might be able to run on the side walls and the bottom of the header wall to help cut down on the reflecting light?

If there is such as product, what is the recommended way to attach it to the wall?

·
Registered
46 Posts
You could try a black velvet material. I used it on a fixed frame screen, and it would not show any bleeding from the projector light, and that is direct light.

There is also gaffers tape that is basicly a velvet backed tape.

Attaching the material is another issue. You could just staple, or adhesive spray it to the wall (the latter being too permanent and messy?).

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would put the finished side (velvet) against the wall at the edge, staple along the edge you want to create, and then fold it over away from the staples. This would hide the staples while creating a "finished" edge on one side. You could then go with a different approach in the back corner.

The trick will be in keeping a straight edge along the outside corner of your niche.

I hope the technique is clear enough. It is a common way of hiding a tacked edge, I believe it is used in upholstery techniques.

Now if you could create a channel and tuck in the material into the channel, that would hide any edges, and eliminate the bump from a rolled edge. But I don't think drywall would be at all forgiving with that method (it would most likely crack & crumble).

Be carefull with spray adhesive, as it may seep through your material if you have too much applied.

My 2 cents...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.