AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on putting treatments (either absorbtion or diffusion) behind floor to ceiling curtains made of GOM? I know I've seen real theaters with pleated type fabric walls... so similar to that.

I've got some interesting side wall features which are asymetrical from left wall to right wall (egress window and nook) that I'm looking to clean up asthetically by hiding with maybe curtains or similar on both sides. This area doesn't lend itself well to the typical fabric wall approach. I'm looking to do acoustic treatment at the same time. Was thinking of putting required absorbtion and/or diffusion in proper places but hide all of it with GOM curtains. Easy to pull back and use window or access nook.. ??? Is this destined for failure?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The way I understand it is a regular curtain deployed like this would be counter prouctive since the absorbtion would be heavily skewed to towards the high end. Correct? Absorbing probably too much on the high end and very little on the lower end. Causing more problems than fixing?

Has anyone every tried to make pleated style curtains from GOM material? Doesn't look like the best stuff to try and sew

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so any standard curtain would be good with absorbtion behind? Or just acoustically transparent? And if so on any curtain... would that designate a specific type of absorbtion behind such as only thicker panels etc??

Sorry to keep asking just want to make absolutely sure I understand. The acoustically transparent curtain makes total sense with diffusion as you wouldn't want to absorb. However, it seems to me that standard curtains even with absorbtion behind would still skew the amount of absorbtion across the frequency band.???

·
Registered
131 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of the GOM curtains? I have looked in the local theaters, and I thought about covering my side walls in a similar method with thin indoor/outdoor carpet on the lower half and some type of pleated curtain on the upper half. Where do you buy GOM?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Do a search for GOM and you will get lots of threads to look at ... or the sticky threads for completed theaters ... mostly they are used in fabric frames to hide the insulation on the walls

1 - 9 of 9 Posts