AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody used this track system from Fabricmate ? I did a search but it seems not many have used this.

If using furring strips instead, how does everyone hide all the staples like around the outlet covers and in corners ?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I did not use Fabricmate but I used another track system from a company named SoftWalls in Maryland. They typically do local installs and sell there product to other installers around the country. They typically do not sell directly to the general public but they made an exception in my case, being local. They have a website you could check to see if they have changed their policy. If not SoftWalls, I'm sure many of their competitors sell similar products.

I found the SoftWalls system to work great. I know many go the furring strip and staple method and I would have if I did not discover this alternative. We do so many things to try and future proof are systems (e.g., running conduit for wires) that you would think we would try the same when applying acoustical treatments.

Here is how the track system I used worked:

- I received 9' long nylon strips of the track system.

- I miter cut them to frame in the area to be treated (including around outlets).

- I fastened them with liquid nails to the dry wall and used a nail gun with 1" nails to hold them in place while the glue dried (a power staple gun could also work)

- I cut the acoustic material to fit and pushed it into the framed in area.

- I cut fabric a few inches bigger then the area to be covered and mounted it by pushing the edges into special grooves with the track.

- I trimmed an access fabric and pushed the remainder it.

The main benefits:

- Easy to install and already the appropriate thickness 1" or 1/2"

- No staples or anything to hide or cover

- If over time any sagging occurs you just need to push the fabrics in the edges more

- Fabric can be replaced easily if damaged or you just want to change the color scheme

- A proven method that is more likely to be successful the first time

I have a few pictures in my gallery showing the final product.

Also, I did learn some tricks along the way I would be willing to share if any decisde to go this route.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I ordered and have some of the 1 inch Fabricmate tracks. I intend to use them in the midwall , cause I don't want to do chair molding. I have been busy all summer , could not start on the walls, to tell you the truth I got just plain lazy. I started ripping furring strips today. I want to finish the walls by next week.

Jay

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I didn't do the upper walls, only ear level (when sitting) and below on the side and back walls. One concern people sometimes have with just doing the lower half is the entension of the acoustic treatment (comes out an extra inch) from the lower half.

For others who may not want to do the upper half and wonder about the look. I was able to do it without anyone every remarking about it looking odd. In fact, no one seems to know there is an inch of fiberglass installed below without me telling them.

You can check my gallery if you want to see how it came out.

Here is what I did:

- I bought true 1" x 4" pine boards normally used as planks for outside of a house (they are not the cheapest but have true mesurements and I needed something an inch thick)

- I mounted the pine boards where I wanted the chair rail (top of the acoustic treatment) and at the bottom of the wall where base boards would go.

- I mounted chair rail to the upper plank (I used a heavy duty looking type so it would not get lost on the plank) and base board to the lower plank.

- I mounted 1/2" quarter round at the top of the pine plank and against the drywall (makes a smoother transistion from the pine plank to the wall)

- I mounted the track system, fiberglass and fabric to the wall inbetween the pine planks (creates a nice flat surface from the based board to the chair rail.

It actually came out pretty good and is an option when treating only the lower half of the walls.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog
Nelson, there have some people who have proposed they would use it (including me), but I never saw any feedback. I'll see if I can dig up a name and maybe PM them. I'm not far off now that I have the drywall done, but am still out on using it. I need to call them and price it out.

Bud
Bud,

Let me know if you hear anything more about using this system and maybe you could PM me pricing if you find out.

Thanks

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Smithhb,

Thanks for all the details. I am still not clear how you used the tracks since you used chair rail on top and basebords on bootom.

Are you saying you used the tracks to run vertically where you have seems ? how did you do corners of the room ? With the tracks also ?

Thanks

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If anyone else ends up using this system, could you please post how you liked it ?

Thanks

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayken
I ordered and have some of the 1 inch Fabricmate tracks. I intend to use them in the midwall , cause I don't want to do chair molding. I have been busy all summer , could not start on the walls, to tell you the truth I got just plain lazy. I started ripping furring strips today. I want to finish the walls by next week.

Jay

Jay,

Can you tell me where you plan to use the furring strips and where you plan to use the track system ? I am trying to get ideas on how to do this, Thanks

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
nelson4u,

The track system (at least what I used) does not look all that appealing by itself. Therefore, I created a nice wood border above and below it. The area to be treated has to be framed by track (i.e., top, bottom and both sides). I just placed the top track 1/16" below the chair rail and the bottom track 1/16" above the baseboard. The side pieces of track are either placed in a corner or against one of my columns. The corners use a special type of track that allows 1 piece to handle both adjoining walls.

This method made it so the treated area did not appear to stick out from the wall an inch because I extended the chair rail and baseboard out an inch to compensate.

Take a look at the corner close up in my gallery. It also shows how the track can be used to go around an extended outlet.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithb
I did not use Fabricmate but I used another track system from a company named SoftWalls in Maryland.
Can you share SoftWalls' pricing information?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Spivak
I am interested in this pricing also. If you could, please send me a PM. Thanks

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Spivak
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson4u
I am interested in this pricing also. If you could, please send me a PM. Thanks
Perhaps someone could just post the pricing for all to see.

If anyone has experience with installing this product, please post.

I am at the fabric stage right now and would consider using it over my front soffit area if it seemed like it would work for me.

Craig

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Unfortunately, I can't say what the pricing was. You see they never dealt with selling to the general public before (only to other trained installers). As a result, they did not have a pricing structure in place. They cut me a special deal so they could determine if a general consumer could be successful using the product with no special training or help. They seemed to be pleased with the results.

I'm not sure if in the end they have decided to open of this avenue of sales yet or not. The person I dealt with was Jack Donovan, office number: 301-212-9880

If not them, there are other similar products available such as the Fabricmate discussed (however, I have not seen the Fabricmate first hand to see if it is of the same quality or ease of use). I assume there may also be others. Sorry I can't be more help about SoftWalls. I found them by accident while searching for rigid fiberglass.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithb
Unfortunately, I can't say what the pricing was. You see they never dealt with selling to the general public before (only to other trained installers). As a result, they did not have a pricing structure in place. They cut me a special deal so they could determine if a general consumer could be successful using the product with no special training or help. They seemed to be pleased with the results.

I'm not sure if in the end they have decided to open of this avenue of sales yet or not. The person I dealt with was Jack Donovan, office number: 301-212-9880

If not them, there are other similar products available such as the Fabricmate discussed (however, I have not seen the Fabricmate first hand to see if it is of the same quality or ease of use). I assume there may also be others. Sorry I can't be more help about SoftWalls. I found them by accident while searching for rigid fiberglass.

Thanks smithb, I will check them out. Since I already have furring strips up, I won't need much. The only area I have any concern with is the front stage soffit/area.

Thanks

Craig

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am getting close to the fabric stage of my project and am considering using a fabricmate/wallmate system. Does any one have any close up photos of step-by-step installation? It may help understand how easy/diffuclt it is.

thanks!

Austin

·
Registered
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by to6cess
I just got the track and put on panel for a test.

I is fairly easy.
Are you talking about fabricmate? or another wall system?

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
i am almost ready too. This looks very appealing. Can someone post a pic of the track system so i can have something tangible as to how this system works?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.