AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,163 Posts
Wow. This seemed like a very odd marriage at first but Facebook has already cut off millions of people from reality already, why not add a few more? it makes perfect sense.


I can't wait to virtually hug all of those distant friends and relatives that I would have otherwise or intentionally forgotten about!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,639 Posts

Please tell me this is a hoax!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,070 Posts
Go the Smithsonian Facebook page... VR certainly has a use there! Arguably the best use for VR is NOT games but in taking you someplace you cannot go without it being a game.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,639 Posts
Well this just ruined my night.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Osirus23

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,865 Posts
The people that backed this on kick starter are pissed and have every right to be.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Osirus23

·
UHD Addict
Joined
·
38,955 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,710 Posts
I can tell you this, if Microsoft doesn't have a huge R & D investment in their own VR thing, they will very soon. This deal is going to really be a big thing for the future of entertainment in general, because it says that this VR thing is legit, legit enough for a company to spend 2 billion dollars. So, this is going to be a real product, in the near future, and it's possible that it could be the next big thing. It's also possible it could end up being pretty lame, but we just don't know what is going to happen yet. We will have to be patient and see how things develop, but I can tell you that this news will definitely wake up all the sleeping giants about this new potential threat.


I wonder if even the traditional media companies are worried ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,397 Posts
From the guy who makes Minecraft.

" I definitely want to be a part of VR, but I will not work with Facebook. Their motives are too unclear and shifting, and they haven’t historically been a stable platform. There’s nothing about their history that makes me trust them, and that makes them seem creepy to me."

Sounds about what I think of facebook. Creepy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1  /t/1524299/facebook-to-buy-oculus-rift#post_24530553


I can tell you this, if Microsoft doesn't have a huge R & D investment in their own VR thing, they will very soon. This deal is going to really be a big thing for the future of entertainment in general, because it says that this VR thing is legit, legit enough for a company to spend 2 billion dollars...............
I'd wager MS has R&D going on. If nothing else to keep aware of trends. Let's not forget Kinect which caught everyone by suprise as nobody had a clue they were even working on this.


There's definately some work to be done - not the least of which is movement in VR, you can either do something like the Omni Treadmill or you run the risk of a lot of folks having issues (think "seasick" hurling). Will the public accept such a device in the home? (even if made even smaller/sleeker).


Interesting video using a Kinect. Occulus, and the Omni Treadmill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3NbURH14ro
 

·
UHD Addict
Joined
·
38,955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey151  /t/1524299/facebook-to-buy-oculus-rift#post_24531221


I'd wager MS has R&D going on. If nothing else to keep aware of trends. Let's not forget Kinect which caught everyone by suprise as nobody had a clue they were even working on this.


There's definately some work to be done - not the least of which is movement in VR, you can either do something like the Omni Treadmill or you run the risk of a lot of folks having issues (think "seasick" hurling). Will the public accept such a device in the home? (even if made even smaller/sleeker).


Interesting video using a Kinect. Occulus, and the Omni Treadmill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3NbURH14ro

WIthout that omni treadmill, there is no way I could use it without getting extremely sick. Although without actually trying the treadmill I don't even know if that will help me or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Whil Mark does own FB i don't really see this as a problem. The money has been made there so now he's looking to the future. A lit of what he said about communications ,education , and medical makes perfect sense. I think that all the potential is there save for gaming. I'm just worried that the gaming market will not be the primary focus that it was. But gopefully he won't forget the OR's roots and surprises us.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,085 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by loader963  /t/1524299/facebook-to-buy-oculus-rift#post_24531259


Whil Mark does own FB i don't really see this as a problem. The money has been made there so now he's looking to the future. A lit of what he said about communications ,education , and medical makes perfect sense. I think that all the potential is there save for gaming. I'm just worried that the gaming market will not be the primary focus that it was. But gopefully he won't forget the OR's roots and surprises us.

Mark ceased to "own" FB when they became a publicly traded company.


It's hard to view this acquisition as a good thing for gamers. I suppose now we can play Farmville VR!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt  /t/1524299/facebook-to-buy-oculus-rift#post_24531244


WIthout that omni treadmill, there is no way I could use it without getting extremely sick. Although without actually trying the treadmill I don't even know if that will help me or not.
You would not be alone. It's how people get "seasick" - a disconnect between what the eyes see & the body feels. A tip for seasick is to look at the horizon & match up the visual input with the inner ear (felt). VR could be the same for many, inner ear says stable - eyes say moving = sick.


The Omni device looks cool.........issue here is the gamer actually willing to move?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey151  /t/1524299/facebook-to-buy-oculus-rift/0_50#post_24531965


You would not be alone. It's how people get "seasick" - a disconnect between what the eyes see & the body feels. A tip for seasick is to look at the horizon & match up the visual input with the inner ear (felt). VR could be the same for many, inner ear says stable - eyes say moving = sick.


The Omni device looks cool.........issue here is the gamer actually willing to move?

I did think it was pretty hilarious when the omni guys were on shark tank and got unanimously shut down by the panel. They all concurred gamers are lazy and there's no way wives are letting that thing in their house.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003  /t/1524299/facebook-to-buy-oculus-rift#post_24532020


I did think it was pretty hilarious when the omni guys were on shark tank and got unanimously shut down by the panel. They all concurred gamers are lazy and there's no way wives are letting that thing in their house.
Well I guess I'm okay - game room is my room & movement doesn't bother me



I'd wager it might get smaller/lighter with time. Humor - most wives didn't really want huge jumbo screens anywhere in sight either.........then flat screens came slong. Maybe they'd be okay since using it meant a shooter type game was being played & not some leisure suit larry type game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville  /t/1524299/facebook-to-buy-oculus-rift#post_24532648


I didn't even think about the motion sickness aspect of VR. I don't particularly want to take Dramamine every time I play a game, so I might have to sit this one out.
I'd imagine just like seasick there's no real way to tell if you're going to get motion(less?) sick..............right up until you puke
Not everyone gets any kind of motion sickness.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,085 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey151  /t/1524299/facebook-to-buy-oculus-rift#post_24532835


I'd imagine just like seasick there's no real way to tell if you're going to get motion(less?) sick..............right up until you puke
Not everyone gets any kind of motion sickness.

Sure, but I do. Boats + me = dizziness and vomiting.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top