AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just maybe wanted to get some advice, explanation etc..

I have had my dual 18s for most of their life in the front of the room. They sound somewhat ok, but I dont get that boomy sound during movies. I do get the rumble, and somewhat that bass feel, but still feel it is lacking. I have moved one of them to the rear of the room over me left shoulder while sitting in my middle chair. It was not any better. The bass got way more substantial when moving closer to the wall that it was on.

Here is a pic of what they have always been situated like:

Here is what I decided to do recently to see what they sounded like: Turn the woofers so that they face the corners on the front of the room. The bass is more boomy but I actually had to turn them down to -8db in Audyssey(which is what it found them originally) I was running them hot at -3db and -2.5db. Movies definately have more of a punch, and the bass is definately there now. Basically Im assuming I just HORN loaded them so to speak?

My main gripe is the way they look because of course you can see the amps and cords with them situated like this. No biggy though. Im mainly wondering if this is more of a NO NO in home theater or what? The subs put out a tremendous amount of bass but where Im sitting the bass is somewhat lacking because of my room I suppose. Not real sure how to correct this.

thanks and any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Well, I avoid boomyness, even in car builds (especially in car builds). But its definitely easier to achieve high enough db on low frequencies by corner-loading the subwoofers, but the best corner loaded woofer setups don't add boomyness, just pure practically silent db. A dozen ways to corner load subwoofers, even up in the roof corners since that's the opposite corner to your chairs. But the easiest thing would be to have the subs a meter or so in front of you (legs length). Rule number one if you want more db is to get closer to the source. If they obstruct the view to the screen, remember that each subwoofer have six sides to it.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Facing the drivers toward the wall loads the driver. It increases efficiency so, nothing wrong with it for HT other than looks. Corners can be boomy but, a little PEQ to the system or re-run autocalibration may solve the problem.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
The subs put out a tremendous amount of bass but where Im sitting the bass is somewhat lacking because of my room I suppose. Not real sure how to correct this.
Move where you're sitting. I'd be willing to bet your seats are in a zone where the distance to the wall behind them is causing cancellations. I say that with confidence based on how far in back of them you were standing when you took that picture. The distance to that wall which will cause cancellation somewhere within the woofer passband of 20-80Hz is 3.5 to 14 feet.
By the same token having the baffles of your subs anywhere between 3.5 and 14 feet from the wall behind them would also result in cancellation. That appears to be the case in the first picture. Turning them towards the corner eliminated the cancellation.

Reactions: nezff and ronny31

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The subs put out a tremendous amount of bass but where Im sitting the bass is somewhat lacking because of my room I suppose. Not real sure how to correct this.
Move where you're sitting. I'd be willing to bet your seats are in a zone where the distance to the wall behind them is causing cancellations. I say that with confidence based on how far in back of them you were standing when you took that picture. The distance to that wall which will cause cancellation somewhere within the woofer passband of 20-80Hz is 3.5 to 14 feet.
By the same token having the baffles of your subs anywhere between 3.5 and 14 feet from the wall behind them would also result in cancellation. That appears to be the case in the first picture. Turning them towards the corner eliminated the cancellation.
are you saying move my chairs up? The distance behind my seating to the rear wall is roughly 11 feet. The chairs are roughly 14-15 feet from the subs. Maybe move closer to the screen?

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Facing the drivers toward the wall loads the driver. It increases efficiency so, nothing wrong with it for HT other than looks. Corners can be boomy but, a little PEQ to the system or re-run autocalibration may solve the problem.
They definately seem to be. They pump out plenty even cut low. -8db

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Move both seats and subs back and forth a bunch and test some sweeps, don't be lazy :p
I completely forgot about cancellation, good catch from Bill.

·
Registered
13,491 Posts
How about directly behind the seating, firing into the seats?? I mean directly behind, like inches. ;)

You have REW up and running, right? If not, shame on you....a beautiful setup like that deserves proper calibration. ;)

I remember seeing pics of your room on here a year or so ago, still a very beautiful setup! :D

·
Registered
13,491 Posts
Never used rew. Thought about it a number of times but never knew what I needed or where to start.
See the link in my sig. ;)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Josh Ricci will often place the subs he is testing indoors in the corner facing towards the corner also.

QUOTE: .Note: I often get asked why I fire the drivers into the wall or the corner and the reason is because it often flattens out one or two response notches that can appear from cancellation due to the reflection from the wall. Not in the deep bass where the sub does its heavy lifting and the wavelengths are too long to be affected much, but up higher in frequency around or above the crossover to the other speakers. Depending on the placement or size of the sub this does not always amount to much but it can help in the crossover region or mid-bass sometimes.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
are you saying move my chairs up? The distance behind my seating to the rear wall is roughly 11 feet
Yes. That 11 foot distance to the rear wall will give a cancellation centered around 25Hz. The rear seats being perhaps 3 feet closer to the rear wall will have a cancellation centered around 35Hz.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes. That 11 foot distance to the rear wall will give a cancellation centered around 25Hz. The rear seats being perhaps 3 feet closer to the rear wall will have a cancellation centered around 35Hz.
Ok. So would you suggest I move them closer to the front?

thanks for the help so far.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts