AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a check on who is using the ATI HDTV adapter with what. I seem to find a lot of conflicting information as to what Cards the adapter will and will not work with.

I know the 9700 AIW and 9800 AIW have the adapter with it automatically but it is a diffrent adapter all together than the DVI and VGA adapters .

The 8500/8500LE are compatible with the VGA to HDTV

The 8500 AIW needs the DVI to HDTV

I know the 9700/9700 Pro are compatible with the DVI to HDTV (and the VGA to HDTV if you use the DVI to VGA adapter)

I read other stories saying the 9000,9100 and 9200 will work and I can understand that since they are really just the 8500/8500LE, but I have people that e-mail me saying they read it isn't supported. I have yet to read that (other than at ATI's store that just lists the 8500AIW, 8500, 9500, 9700)

Not Sure on compatability at this point for these cards....

9800/9800pro

9600/9600pro/9600 AIW

9000/9000 AIW

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have the 9500 Pro that works with it and a friend borrowed my adapter and said it worked on a 9600 Pro.

Of course the adapter has so many design 'flaws' that neither of us still use it:mad:

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what design flaws are those?

The one thing a lot of people dont understand on the ATI HDTV adapter is that ATI did not want to get involved with having endusers complain about how they couldnt get 640x480 working and etc so they limited the resolutions on it and limited custom resolutions on it.

From a tech support customre care side I can see why they did this.

From a Higher end end user point (like many of us) it sucks because we want a cheap device that allows all custom reoslutions.

Feel free to pm me for any advice or visit my site that I am slowly but surely putting together

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Confirmed the 9500pro and purple HDTV adapter. I think it works well for what it is designed for. You can use Powerstrip for custom timings and to adjust for horizontal overscan on adapter approved resolutions. I have a great looking 856x480p desktop using 540p timings, a perfect 1776x1000i for fullscreen media playback, and use 1920x1080i with TheaterTek for DVD playback, adjusted to 1920x960i. This gives me the best looking HTPC picture quality I've ever had on my Mits HDTV.

Of course, finding the "quirks" regarding the adapter & Powerstrip took some work (specifically, maintaining a correct horizontal sync width to achieve correct black levels), and thru Nintaris' efforts, the adapter has some value now for gaming purposes as well. IMHO, the purple DVI adapter has better PQ than the black VGA model.

In the final analysis, the price to performance ratio is outstanding. My transcoder is collecting dust & my RGBHV breakout cable is used forthe MyHD card.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I still need to get the dvi to hdtv adapter lol I am still using the dvi to vga adapter and then using the vga to hdtv adapter on that lol

Anyone need the vga that has the dvi wanting to trade? You ship me yours and I'll second day mine to you :)

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I've just "upgraded" from a Radeon 8500 with VGA dongle to the purple DVI version to use with a fanless Sapphire Radeon 9600. It should make for an ideal HTPC combo.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just curious--Please forgive me if this is out of place, but it about the adapter.

I'm thinking about buying the AWI 9800 PRO, and have a question for you guys. I see that once you have the component adapter attached to your HDTV, you may change the HDTV settings (custom settings).

My question is that since this is apparently software controlled, can you skip the adapter and go straight from the DVI-I to the DVI port on your tv?

It seems to me that the adapter is just that, an adapter. Since it doesn't appear to be a converter, you really just need the card, the software and the cable (assuming you have a DVI input on your HDTV).

Am I right, or am I missing something.

Nintari, you said that you need the DVI to HDTV adapter. Is that because you don't have a DVI input on your HDTV, or my plan won't work?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I only have component in on my hdtv :(

I say I need the DVI adapter because I am using the DVI to VGA adapter and then the VGA to HDTV adapter. I cant get certain resolutions that worked at default to work on driver versions newer than 3.2. I can get them to work in powerstrip but thats a bit much hassle for something that showed up by defaul previously

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
In many cases Webraf it can be very difficult to sometimes impossible to get DVI to work from a HTPC to a TV. Some cases it works great, others like the Toshiba DVI like I have just had people start figuring out how they can get it to work but the solutions I've seen thus far have included needing a monitor with DVI in to help trick the video card into working.

Before you start looking at adapters do some searches and see if people have gotten DVI working to your particular TV and with what type video card. Ultimately that would be the preferred way to go but in a case like mine I decided that the transcoder would be the better choice overall just for my sanity. L:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've spoken with both nintari and RTK on this... I have a Sapphire Radeon 9600 128 mb Non-pro (fanless) and the purple DVI adapter works great

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I have a sapphire 9500.... and the purple adapter from my now un-used aiw8500dv.... has anyone successfully gotten a dual head card like the 9500 to work with dual displays, where the HDTV on the purple dongle is the SECONDARY display? I can only get the component outputs to activate if I make the HDTV, which is technically the second head, the primary display on boot up...

:confused:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Webraf:

The main problem with using DVI output STRAIGHT to the DVI input on a TV is that you are fixed to the frequencies stated by the video card and TV. I believe that Powerstrip CANNOT be used to make custom resolutions on a straight DVI connection...

My plasma luckily supports 1280x720 straight through the DVI port, so I'm in luck....

If I'm wrong, PLEASE correct me, I'd love to hear if you can customize higher rez's w/ Powerstrip on a DVI connection.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Can anyone confirm whether the Sapphire 9100's DVI output will work with the ATI HDTV DVI adapter? Or does it just work with the HDTV VGA adapter?

Thanks

Lester

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
afaik if one were to work itwould be the vga for the saphire 9100. I just learned that that card can not convert the DVI to VGA :(

I may try this card out tomorrow with the VGA adapter and post my reuts here :)

·
Registered
779 Posts
I had the DVI dongle working fine on an 9600 pro. The only catch is it would not allow me to do "dual monitors" with a second monitor hanging off the VGA port.

I switched to a 9700 pro, and the same dongle worked, allowing me to have a dual monitor configuration with the dongle.

All of this was tested under 3.6 and 3.7

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.