Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following is today's SHOH schedule.

My question is why bother if there if there is no HD?

05/26/02

7:30AM Mom, Can I Keep Her? 4x3 UPCONV

9:15AM A Fish In The Bathtub 4x3 UPCONV

11:00AM Morgan's Ferry 4x3 UPCONV

12:30PM Warden Of Red Rock 4x3 UPCONV

2:00PM The House Of Mirth 4x3 UPCONV

4:30PM The Sum Of All Fears: Movie News 4x3 UPCONV

5:00PM Save The Last Dance 4x3 UPCONV

7:00PM Health To Pay 4x3 UPCONV

8:00PM Damaged Care 4x3 UPCONV

10:00PM Queer As Folk (episode #217) 4x3 UPCONV

10:45PM The Chris Isaak Show: Season 2, Episode 11: Gimme Shelter 4x3

UPCONV

11:35PM Soul Food: A Taste Of Justice 4x3 UPCONV

12:30AM The Ladies Man 4x3 UPCONV

2:00AM Beverly Hills Cop 4x3 UPCONV

3:45AM Legends Of The Fall WIDESCREEN OAR UPCONV

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Showtime varies... Sometimes they have a quite a bit of HD shown in a day, and sometimes they have none. I think it's still well worth the subscription personally, though, since what they do have always looks very good, and I get to record a lot of movies I like off of Showtime.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I turned it on SHO-HD today(Sunday)when both Save the Last Dance and The Ladies's Man was on and they both were 16x9 and both appeared to be in HD.

Mike

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Compromise
The following is today's SHOH schedule.

My question is why bother if there if there is no HD?

05/26/02

7:30AM Mom, Can I Keep Her? 4x3 UPCONV

9:15AM A Fish In The Bathtub 4x3 UPCONV

11:00AM Morgan's Ferry 4x3 UPCONV

12:30PM Warden Of Red Rock 4x3 UPCONV

2:00PM The House Of Mirth 4x3 UPCONV

4:30PM The Sum Of All Fears: Movie News 4x3 UPCONV

5:00PM Save The Last Dance 4x3 UPCONV

7:00PM Health To Pay 4x3 UPCONV

8:00PM Damaged Care 4x3 UPCONV

10:00PM Queer As Folk (episode #217) 4x3 UPCONV

10:45PM The Chris Isaak Show: Season 2, Episode 11: Gimme Shelter 4x3

UPCONV

11:35PM Soul Food: A Taste Of Justice 4x3 UPCONV

12:30AM The Ladies Man 4x3 UPCONV

2:00AM Beverly Hills Cop 4x3 UPCONV

3:45AM Legends Of The Fall WIDESCREEN OAR UPCONV
Where did you get this schedule from? The following is Sunday's schedule from Showtime's web site. There are three widescreen upconverts and three widescreen HD movies. I watched BH Cop and know for a fact that it was widescreen, not 4:3.

2:00pm

The House Of Mirth WIDESCREEN OAR UPCONV

5:00pm

Save The Last Dance WIDESCREEN OAR HDTV

10:00pm

Queer As Folk (episode #217) WIDESCREEN OAR UPCONV

12:30am

The Ladies Man WIDESCREEN OAR HDTV

2:00am

Beverly Hills Cop WIDESCREEN OAR HDTV

3:45am

Legends Of The Fall WIDESCREEN OAR UPCONV

I'd like to suggest that before starting a new thread of complaint based upon "FACT", that the facts be verified first.

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Give us a break, Compromise--

Do you really think we are all as stupid as you think we are to believe you just because you use the "Fact" word? You call your contrived schedule a "Fact" but the only FACT is - you made it up yourself. I know you did because I check the Showtime HD schedules daily and certain movies were clearly listed as HDTV and others as widescreen OAR, just as the did air. You either arn't smart enough to read the HDTV channel schedule, read some other SD Showtime schedule or have some sort of agenda here to make up lies in a negative advertising agenda. If you just made a mistake, then I apologize to you in advance for coming down so hard but I'm getting fed up with people who spend more time posting sensationalistic trash than reading and researching the truth. We all make mistakes but this doesn't appear like one to me. Too muich time had to be spent fabricating that list.

You should apologize to the members of this forum or just simply pull this thread by deleting your post. We have no interest in people whose only goal is to stir up trouble by propagating lies and that appears to be the sole purpose of your thread. NO excuses, please... Just go fix it so I can delete this post!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I guess "compromise" is true to his name. The schedule he published was severely "compromised"

As far as "Beverly Hills Cop" is concerned I did record it and I can verify that it was both widescreen and HDTV.

bb

·
Registered
133 Posts
I am a little nervous about stepping into this topic, but I wish to state a "fact". I watched "Save The Last Dance" on SHO-HD Channel 543, and I got it as 4:3, not widescreen as listed in the online guide. It was HD however. I have only had SHO-HD for a couple of weeks, but, usually when the guide says "Widescreen" it is 16x9 as expected. Showtime PQ is better than I expected it to be. The movie "The Last Call" about F. Scott Fitzgerald was gorgeous.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Allen A
I am a little nervous about stepping into this topic, but I wish to state a "fact". I watched "Save The Last Dance" on SHO-HD Channel 543, and I got it as 4:3, not widescreen as listed in the online guide. It was HD however. I have only had SHO-HD for a couple of weeks, but, usually when the guide says "Widescreen" it is 16x9 as expected. Showtime PQ is better than I expected it to be. The movie "The Last Call" about F. Scott Fitzgerald was gorgeous.
There is a thread where bb1987 noted this. But the next showing was correctly shown in widescreen. Any provider can make an occasional mistake. Let's not magnify it's relative unimportance in the overall scheme of things. In the last quarter of 1999, HBO very frequently made the mistake of "not flipping the switch" and showing the 4:3 version of a movie on the HD channel when it should have been (and had previously shown the same movie in) widescreen.

BTW, the 4:3 showing of this movie by mistake on the HD channel was NOT HD. It looked better than it would have looked on the SD channel due to other factors (bit rate, no extra compression, etc.). But the 4:3 showing wasn't an HD transfer.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I suspect that if we had HD Discovery instead of Showtime we would be watching the same few programs over and over the way we do on HD Net. I am very happy with HD Showtime!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by elstonhill
I suspect that if we had HD Discovery instead of Showtime we would be watching the same few programs over and over the way we do on HD Net. I am very happy with HD Showtime!
Not likely that you will be seeing repeats on the scale of HDNet. Discovery has been archiving in HD for quite a number of years and has a huge (by comparison to HDNet) library of 1080I transfers. Additionally, they will actually spend substantial amounts of money to acquire new programming being produced in 1080i. HDNet, on the other hand, has spent huge sums to get their system up and running but has offered little financial compensation to outside providers of HD programming. Most of the eye candy HDNet has been showing (not including their sports efforts or "news and documentary") has been provided to them for free or at relatively low cost.

I don't wish to diminish Mark Cuban and his efforts. He certainly has been the catalyst needed to get HD off dead center. Without him we would have had much less sports, no Winter Olympics and none of the eye candy. I'm hopeful his new channels will offer some addtional programming that is a bit more compelling and repeated less often.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Landis

Do you really think we are all as stupid as you think we are to believe you just because you use the "Fact" word? You call your contrived schedule a "Fact" but the only FACT is - you made it up yourself. I know you did because I check the Showtime HD schedules daily and certain movies were clearly listed as HDTV and others as widescreen OAR, just as the did air. You either arn't smart enough to read the HDTV channel schedule, read some other SD Showtime schedule or have some sort of agenda here to make up lies in a negative advertising agenda. If you just made a mistake, then I apologize to you in advance for coming down so hard but I'm getting fed up with people who spend more time posting sensationalistic trash than reading and researching the truth. We all make mistakes but this doesn't appear like one to me. Too muich time had to be spent fabricating that list.

You should apologize to the members of this forum or just simply pull this thread by deleting your post. We have no interest in people whose only goal is to stir up trouble by propagating lies and that appears to be the sole purpose of your thread. NO excuses, please... Just go fix it so I can delete this post!
I apologize profusely. I downloaded the page from Showtimes website after watching endless upconversions and got frustrated. They must have changed the schedule, although I am surprised. Believe me I didn't make it up and do not have time for such things. If you wish for me to delete this post I will do so, but the fact is SHOH has way too much upconvert and very little HD.

Please let me know if you still wish for me to delete this post. If I get one yes, I will do so.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:

I apologize profusely. I downloaded the page from Showtimes website after watching endless upconversions and got frustrated. They must have changed the schedule, although I am surprised. Believe me I didn't make it up and do not have time for such things. If you wish for me to delete this post I will do so, but the fact is SHOH has way too much upconvert and very little HD.

I'm curious to know what frustrated you about the upconverts. Do you have a large front projector screen?

I doubt very much that Showtime ever had a schedule for that day that had no widescreen material. While there have been occasional errors/omissions in their schedule, I don't recall ever seeing such a gross mistake where 6 widescreen presentations were listed as 4:3.

Read today's HDTV magazine if you subscribe. There is an interview with a Showtime rep that will shed some light on their relatively small number of HD movies.

Lastly, you sound so unhappy with Showtime, I'd cancel them if I were you. Me, well I'm tickled pink to be able to receive their HD channel and I enjoy their widescreen upconverts which in general are of very good quality and immensely watchable on my 56" widescreen set.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Quote:

I apologize profusely. I downloaded the page from Showtimes website after watching endless upconversions and got frustrated.
Hey guys,

Don't give Compromise such a hard time. His schedule listing is entirely correct and can be viewed exactly as he presented it right now from the Sho website.

Don't believe me? The link is here .

The simple fact is that Showtime monthly schedules are wrong. The seem to update the dailies as things change but the monthly does not get updated.

It would be so nice if the monthly was correct - getting to see a month in advance what will be HD would be great. Sadly it is incredibly unreliable and poor old Compromise is getting hassled for Showtime's mistakes...

Cheers!

DAve.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Showtime's PDF monthly schedules seem to be prepared very early, with many mistakes, and are never corrected once they're posted.

It's best to ignore the PDF schedule and to use the Web site's daily listings instead, as inconvenient as that might sound. There is, at least, a day-at-a-time feature, plus the ability to click forward and backward.

This is what I use to prepare a schedule-for-the-month ahead of time (in order to plan recordings).

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Landis

Do you really think we are all as stupid as you think we are to believe you just because you use the "Fact" word? You call your contrived schedule a "Fact" but the only FACT is - you made it up yourself

Hey Don,

Maybe an apology from you would be in order also.

This is pretty harsh and obviously incorrect. It appears that Compromise made an assumption that Showtime can keep their schedules straight - not an entirely unreasonable assumption.

IMO this kind of blasting without understanding the facts is just as bad, if not worse, than posting without checking up on one's sources.

Cheers!

DAve.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Phloyd

The simple fact is that Showtime monthly schedules are wrong. The seem to update the dailies as things change but the monthly does not get updated.

It would be so nice if the monthly was correct - getting to see a month in advance what will be HD would be great. Sadly it is incredibly unreliable and poor old Compromise is getting hassled for Showtime's mistakes...

Cheers!

DAve.
If I saw a day in the pdf schedule that had no or almost no widescreen material, my first thought would be one of great surprise. It wouldn't take my brain more than a millisecond to realize I would need to confirm that by looking at the online schedule. I would do that if my only interest was to see what's on. And I would certainly feel even more compelled to verify if my intent was to create a post of outrage on this forum. You put all the blame for this on Showtime's schedule. The pdf file is created long in advance and there could be errors or there could be changes. There is some degree of responsibility on the part of the viewer to check the online schedule if the goal is to be factual. If the goal is to be mad and outraged, then there is no need to verify the 'facts'.

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Compromise-

Thank you for your explanation! I really appreciate your honesty at this time. So you don't get the idea that I'm some sort of raving lunatic, please hear me out and try to understand my view on this.

As the originator of a radical and sensational claim is made, I will attempt to equal the sensationalistic nature with what I feel is a balanced and equal flame post to correct it based on actual facts. Therefore, the degree of harshness of my request for you to come clean on this and my accusation of you trying to just stir up trouble was balanced by your admitted anger and attempt to post a thread that was just not so.

Now you come here and claim that you found this in the pdf file. I never use the pdf file as it was previously stated that these are rather advanced listings and are rarely accurate. Now you realize that. You should have done what has been suggested already but I understand and agree with your anger over the lack of Showtime HD programming. I just don't agree with posting incorrect information to support my anger. I try hard to be factual and not exaggerate to support a position.

What I would like for you to do is to edit your first post with a statement that you found the information in the pdf file (so it is quickly visible to all). And that upon further research members discovered this list to be mostly inaccurate. Then please do state that you wish for Showtime to try to improve their numbers of daily true HDTV programs.

For your future reference may I suggest you try this type of Showtime daily schedule. Go to their website and customize a daily page set up like I did. If you need help, I'd be glad to help as it was a bit tricky to do at first. I then saved a link to my desk top that when I click on it it opens the page and I just click on the calandar day for the current days schedule.

Here is todays I just did:

http://www.scubatech.com/images/shothdscd.jpg

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry G

The pdf file is created long in advance and there could be errors or there could be changes. There is some degree of responsibility on the part of the viewer to check the online schedule if the goal is to be factual.
I agree that it is wise to check ones facts. Especially before posting here ;)

However, how hard is it really for Showtime to keep both versions up do date? I can print to a PDF file in a matter of seocnds. I am sure that a webmaster with half a clue could automate updates into the PDF schedule. Or they could be like HBO and generate the month in 'real time' when you request it. Sadly HBO 'month at a time' neglects to note 'True HDTV'.

Oh, and I also think that Sho should have more real HD content :)

Don and others - thanks for the pointer to 'day at a time' - that does make it easier to work with.

Cheers!

DAve.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.