Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I am currently having problems with my UTV. I’m getting blocky reception and drop outs fairly constantly during normal viewing. It’s driving my girlfriend crazy to the point that she asked me why we can just get cable (shame on her).

At first I thought it may a tuner going out since tuner one was losing signal strength for a second or so when I check the meters. So, I tried some of the suggestions mention in other threads. Resetting the unit did work, but the problem has resurfaced. Currently my signal strength is 95% on both tuners and both are stable now.

After researching the forum more, I fear it may be the multiswitch. I have no idea what multiswitch is installed. When I moved into this house, the Direct TV guy installed it outside for me. The cables running to my UTV are over 100 ft. and I don’t believe that this multiswitch is powered. I’ll check in the morning.

I am currently thinking about two options. Option one is bite the bullet and purchase a Direct Tivo (I’ll miss my UTV). Option two is to purchase a service plan and have Direct TV send someone out to check the multiswitch. I guess you could thrown in the third option of buying a powered multiswitch,

Any suggestions about what to do would be most appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
202 Posts
Check your history in my shows. Numerous "tuners changed" may mean a tuner is about to fail. Then try a powered multiswitch. IMO Spaun is the best. Your 100' runs can be amplified by the Spaun. The protection plan is a great idea also. I would not continue running a IRD powered multiswitch if you find that you have a non powered multiswitch. How often does this happen? If it's during heavy rain or storms you may want to go to a bigger dish. Something like a 24" or 30".

EDIT: You live in Plano. If you like I can come over and check out your system. Let me know. I live very close to Plano.

Scott.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips Scott. In the history I could see several tuner changes that happened a few days ago, but it doesn't like they have changed lately. On 9/8 they changed serveral times, about 10 times.

The multiswitch is not powered, but I'm a bit worried about getting a powered one becuase the current multiswitch is on the side of the house and to bring into the garage would require me to drill through the outside wall (guess I'll have to do it).

Also, it doesn't matter if it's raining or not. Rain fade is pretty bad, but the UTV will get blockey even if it's sunny out. I have a oval dish with 3 LNBs, btw.

I'm kind of pressed for time right now, I'm studying for several exams for a new job. After I'm done with all of these test and if I can't fix the problem on my own, having you come over to help trouble shoot would be great.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Your symptoms could be due to a failing tuner but a hard drive on the way out can also do this. Hopefully the tuner changes 9/8 were due to storm activity & your tuners are still OK. If your hard drive does need changing, that's easy.

Hopefully it's just the multiswitch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One strange thing is that it seems to be malfuntioning more on the lower channels (locals) than on the higher number channels. Also, this problem is not happening on my HD reciever, just the UTV. This leads me to believe that it is the tuners or the hard drive.

If it is the multiswitch, will Direct TV come out and put a new multiswitch in? If so, about how much do you think it would cost? It seems like this is a problem related to their lack of installation knowledge. The installer should have known that with a cable run over 100 feet, it could cause issues. I guess I should have known to, but at least I do know.

I don't care what it costs to fix this, I'm getting tired of hearing my girlfriend complain about how her shows are blocky :)

Thanks again for any and all help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.