AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not own a Zenith 901 and obviously do not have a manual. A friend has tried to record from 901 to a vcr but it failed. Her comments are: "As for my sister, she has one old tv not hooked to her dish. Just has an antenna for local channels. She ran the antenna through the converter box (same Zenith as mine), then converter box to vcr. She set the converter box to a channel and hit the record button on the vcr. The tv was on and it was playing just fine, clear picture, etc. When she went to play back her vcr tape, just snow."

Any suggestions as to what may have gone wrong? My first thought was that were multiple inputs and the user didn't change to the correct input. But, that is far more likely with a dvd recorder than a vcr. My second thought is maybe the 3/4 switch was incorrect but the user could see a picture on the tv from the vcr while recording. And no, there was *no* splitter behind the tv feeding the zenith on one leg and tv on the other. Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm going to ask a couple questions for clarification:

Is the VCR's internal tuner set to the same channel the Converter Box is set to?

When you said that The picture was showing through the VCR, are you sure that it was coming from the VCR and not just the converter box passing through the VCR?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejayrock /forum/post/15449438

I'm going to ask a couple questions for clarification:

Is the VCR's internal tuner set to the same channel the Converter Box is set to?

When you said that The picture was showing through the VCR, are you sure that it was coming from the VCR and not just the converter box passing through the VCR?

Great question, I don't know if they are both set to the channel. I'll have to ask. As to the last part of your response, ??? I haven't used a vcr in years. As a I recall, the coax input is the only input on most vcrs. So if there is signal to this input, shouldn't the vcr record it?

Thanks for your help!

Best,

Rick

·
Registered
90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRick /forum/post/15449528

Great question, I don't know if they are both set to the channel. I'll have to ask. As to the last part of your response, ??? I haven't used a vcr in years. As a I recall, the coax input is the only input on most vcrs. So if there is signal to this input, shouldn't the vcr record it?

Thanks for your help!

Best,

Rick

Most VCR's have the ability to "pass through" the input while recording. With analog OTA and cable, this allows you to record something on Channel 5 while watching Channel 17. In this case it is possible that the "Everything looks normal during recording" is just the VCR passing the converter box straight through to the TV on Channel 3/4 while recording snow on whatever channel the VCR is set to.

Here's what you should have your friend do, in this order:

Turn the VCR on

Press the Input button on her VCR remote (It'll either be called Input or VCR/TV)

Set the VCR's tuner to Channel 3/4, whichever one the converter box is set to

If she sees a picture, it should record just fine.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejayrock /forum/post/15449580

Press the Input button on her VCR remote (It'll either be called Input or VCR/TV)

If you hit "Play" (and then "Stop") with a tape in the VCR, it will put the VCR into the correct mode to monitor it correctly, without worrying about the TV/VTR selection.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
How long was the "Sleep Timer" set for on the CECB?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by systems2000 /forum/post/15453486

How long was the "Sleep Timer" set for on the CECB?

Good question. Don't know but apparently the recording was all "snow". Doesn't seem likely that the 901 turned itself off. But good point. I'll remind her to remove the auto off timer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts