AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My newly acquired Sony G70 looks good but I can see one faint line coming up every several seconds. It becomes quite distracting when enjoying the magnificent black on my PJ. Would it be some kind of AC problems? I can see it both on DVD and vcr sources. My home voltage is around 127V and I draw a power cord from main switchbox to the PJ. And I do not yet use any power treatment. Thanks in advance to all who will definitely answer my newbie question!

Yen

·
Registered
139 Posts
You're right about the AC problem. I think this is a ground loop. Try physically connecting the ground on all the power outlets you have equipment plugged into. If you have a satellite or cable tv connect those to the common ground as well. Even though they may be grounded properly at the panel, there could still be an ground differential between components. It's equalizing itself over the video connection. Thats my guess.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We don't usually have grounding on electricity. We use two-pronged AC line. I don't know how to remove this annoyance easy way without physically removing or doing anything on AC line. Will a dedicated isolation transformer to the PJ help?

Thanks

yen

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have no clue on the transformer. I doubt it would help. You still have a possible electrical potential between the two components. Maybe you can still ground the chassis together and that would help. Im sure your Sony G70 is meant to be grounded. I would try to make that happen. Sorry, thats my best idea.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, Ron. I'll talk to a tech guy here to help correct this problem. BTW, I saw your pics of home therater. Marvelous indeed! Must have saved a lot of money not going to movie theaters! Not mentioning immense risks avoided by not going out to dangerous public spaces nowadays!

yen

·
Registered
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ptyen
My newly acquired Sony G70 looks good but I can see one faint line coming up every several seconds. It becomes quite distracting when enjoying the magnificent black on my PJ.
Could this be the G70's infamous ABG retrace line? It's been discussed before .

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is the ABG or retrace line supposed to be sit fixed on one place of the screen? My faint line in coming from the bottom of the screen to the top, and before it hits the top, a new line will start to appear from the bottom. This line can not be seen on bright daylight scenes because the brightness will masquerade it. This line can both be identified from component output of non p-scan DVD( all region code-free modified) and cable from composite or S video output. Macrovision? I'm not sure. I have to at least make sure which genre of problem it comes from, AC interference or inherent PJ problem?

YEN

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Yen,

Try adjusting the vertical position of the picture using your "shift" key.

I have noticed on my G70 that lines can appear in the picture if it is not centered correctly in the vertical plane

The retrace lines mentioned appear in the uppermost portion of the top. That doesn't sound like what you are seeing.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ptyen
Is the ABG or retrace line supposed to be sit fixed on one place of the screen? My faint line in coming from the bottom of the screen to the top, and before it hits the top, a new line will start to appear from the bottom.
Half the process of solving a problem is adequately describing it.

What you've described, a line moving from the bottom to the top and another starting to move up before the first one leaves the screen, sounds like a ground loop.

Quote:

This line can not be seen on bright daylight scenes because the brightness will masquerade it. This line can both be identified from component output of non p-scan DVD( all region code-free modified) and cable from composite or S video output. Macrovision?
Macrovision shows up in two areas - pulsing on the whole screen, and flashing, dashed lines at the top of the screen. I was the one who suggested it, but now that we have more information, it sounds like a different problem.

Quote:

I'm not sure. I have to at least make sure which genre of problem it comes from, AC interference or inherent PJ problem?
It's easy enough to test. Get a grounded extension cord and run the power for the projector to the same outlet the DVD player is plugged into. Or, move the DVD player over to near the projector and plug it into the same outlet. Make sure that no other connections exist to the projector or the DVD player. If the line disappears, it's a grounding problem.

Do this test, and let us know. If this fixes it, we can suggest ways of solving the problem permanently

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Problem solved!

Just removed all the cable tv wire connected to my vcr and the lines are gone. It seems it was the ground loop from the cable TV. Power line was O.K. Thank God! Thanks also to forum members! I'll try the ABG thing when I have had enough fun with current settings!

I luuuuuuv G70!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.