AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Samsung T151 hooked to component of my Sony KV-34xbr800. As the unit warms up (10-20 mins), I get verticle stripes in my background fields. It's worse on TRUE 4:3 broadcasts like my PBS multicast station. It's lighter and smaller on 1080i and 720p stations that have HD and their 720p/1080i 16:9 upconverts of SD shows.

It doesn't show up through the S-video and composite. Thinking if the Samsung STB using DVI will solve the problem. I see one guy has the same problem as me on here. Is this just with the Sony-Samsung combo I have?!?! Will DVI solve the problem?----- GS kid

·
Registered
69 Posts
GSKid,

I'm using a new T151 with my Toshiba TN55X81 and the picture is great. No lines, interference, etc. I'm about 12-15 miles from the transmitters using a Silver Sensor indoor antenna.

Ron

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
I think quite a few Samsung units have marginal heating issues that vary. My own unit gets some pixelation for about 20 minutes from a cold start, after it warms-up its OK however.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No... the lines don't move. They are faint background stripes. When multicast 4:3 pictures (5 channels in our PBS station's case) which have artifacts alone due to compression. But the stripes make the compression artifacts look even worse. It has an even more pixelated look then before. This happens AFTER the unit has warmed up.---- GS kid

·
Registered
18 Posts
GSKid, I don't think it is your Sony-Samsung combo causing that, cause my T151 does the same exact thing on my Mitsubishi. And yeah, much more apparent on normal 4:3 programming, than 16:9 HD. Are you using the component cables that came with the unit? I may switch to some better component cables and see if that helps any. If not, I am clueless.

·
Registered
116 Posts
When I first got my T151 I had a bad diagonal crosshatch or herringbone problem during daylight hours because of AM radio interference. Since replacing almost all of my RG6 cable with quad-shield RG6 and Zenith digital compression fittings, that problem was fixed.

Now I have the same sort of vertical lines, however, they are MUCH fainter than my other problem. So faint my family thinks I might be crazy.

Anyway, I've tried everything with no luck. I have installed a Monster Power 2100 power conditioner, different component cables, output from STB straight to TV (Sony KP57WV700) and also through my Sony DA5es receiver.

I don't know if the unit is faulty or I still have some sort of interference issue. I would LOVE to know if you have luck fixing this.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes... I was using the component cords that came with it. I did a couple of things to see if they would go away. They didn't help.

I unpluged everything but the TV and the decoder.

I tried high-end component cables.

I tried a different antenna.

I moved the antenna around.

I put it in both component inputs.

These all failed!

Only the T151's composite and S-video ports seem to not have this problem. I returned it and I'm getting the Samsung TS160 with DVI which my Sony also has. Maybe DVI will solve this problem. Maybe the component outputs of the TS160 will be fine and it's just the T151.

When I called Samsung, the lady kept insisting it must be my Sony TV !

I told her it happens as the T151 warms up after about 20 minutes.

She just told me to send it to Samsung for testing and possible repair. I returned mine to my store instead and got a higher model. Will let you know how it works out when my TS160 comes in-stock next week.----GS kid

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I now have my NEW TS-160. I am now using the DVI port that the T151 didn't have and the stripes are gone! The only issue I have with this decoder is that it seems to me that in HD, red fabrics that move seem to show alot of pixelated pixel-crawl at times. I'm sure that the T151 may have had the same problem and I just didn't notice it. I'll have to see if my component has the same crawl. Maybe it's just the DVI port. Who knows! It's weird. If I ever decide to get a new decoder in the future, I might look at the NEW RCA DTC-200 with DVI. I never had issues with the DTC-100 that was built into my ProScan 38000 or the set for that matter. It was only the fact that the set died to the point of no return is the reason I didn't keep it.--- GS kid

·
Registered
116 Posts
GS kid,

Did you try the TS-160 using the component outs, and if so, did it suffer from the same stripes as the 151? I'm trying to decide if I should take my 151 back and get the 165 w/ dvi instead.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.