AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some advice here, so any input would be appreciated. I'm going to sell my Fujitsu P42VHA20 plasma. I purchased it new in June of last year from a local authorized dealer. I saved all the original packaging, and it's in perfect appearing and operating condition.

Problem is, I don't see many of these sell used on the 'net, so I don't know what a fair price is. Have any of you seen these selling, or have a feel for a what a fair asking price might be?

Comments appreciated... Thanx!

Bryan

PS: I did read the forum rules, and I don't think this is violating them, but if so, I'm sure I'll find out.. :)

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Hi Bryan,

You might run an internet search for this unit and/or its latest equivalent model, then offer it for sale at 30% off the lowest street price for new.

Wishing you a quick sale,

·
Super Moderator
21,435 Posts
I was just about to start an identical thread myself to determine the fair market value of a 1 year old P50XHA10US

Brett's idea is a good one but it is tough to sell a used plasma, especially if you have to ship it

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Can I ask the obvious question.....why sell a one year old plasma ?

Are the new models that much better or is there another issue ?

Not to say or imply that these above members would ever sell anything that was

not exactly as they said it would be.....as tempting as it would be to get a really discounted model for the bedroom or some other second room....I really think this is an item that someone will have to see in person before buying....auctions might be a hard sell on a used plasma....but I could be wrong....not everyone is as picky as I am.

·
Super Moderator
21,435 Posts
I am thinking of buying a new P63: that is the only reason to consider selling the P50

if I was to sell, ideally it would be for pick up only, this way the buyer has the opportunity to check it out, and assumes the transportation risk: that is why I say it is hard to sell a used plasma

a few months ago I listed a Pioneer PDP505HD on the AVS Forum classified: received many inquires but all from out of state: ended up selling it to a coworker at a lower price than I expected

I still may keep the P50 for another room

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by markrubin
I was just about to start an identical thread myself to determine the fair market value of a 1 year old P50XHA10US

Brett's idea is a good one but it is tough to sell a used plasma, especially if you have to ship it
Hey Mark. I'll give you $2,600 for it. I'm local. I could use a second one. I still have my box, too, if you've disposed of yours. ;)

While I'm serious about the offer, I should point out that if you do happen to need the box, I've been considering throwing it away recently so let me know if you might like it.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Related question....do any retailers have opened box specials on plasma panels ?

Guess that would be risky...how could you tell if one was returned within the first week for buyers remorse....or one that was on the retail shelf and playing for 24/7.

I am getting close to my first plasma purchase...do these units have a timer on them....like a front projectors lamp usage clock...how could you determine how much usage a panel has had ??

One year old for one may be totally different than one year old for another....can just your own eyes determine usage ??

·
Super Moderator
21,435 Posts
if you are considering buying a used or demo plasma, there are several things you can do (depends on brand of display)

-check the hour meter

-bring up a white screen and check for dead/stuck pixels (on some displays you can also bring up color screens)

-bring some DVD's you are familiar with and play them on the plasma

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Ohhh....so plasma panel do have an hour usage clock built-in....I presume it can not be user tampered with....so that the hours listed are the true hours.

They all come with this feature?? And do they all have a menu option to get to a full white screen. I guess the white screen will not only check for dead pixels...but also test for any burn in damage.

John Johnson on the ScreenSavers said that some panels had a screen effect that would reverse burn-in...is that what the white screen is for ?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Dammm.... tempting. Get one of these and hang it on the wall in my bedroom. My fiancee would love it. LOL And I am local I think being in NYC.

Im getting a fat tax refund too...... hmmmmm what to do... what to do... ;)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Archangel
Ohhh....so plasma panel do have an hour usage clock built-in....I presume it can not be user tampered with....so that the hours listed are the true hours.
The P50 hour meters can be reset. Too easily, actually. I wouldn't really trust them as any basis for judging value, except that if there's a huge number of hours on them, there's at least that much usage of it.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
I'm curious to know if the warranty will transfer. Hmmmm, Okay I sell my 1 year old ISF'ed 42" ED panny to DJPill then take a trip to Jersey Shore for Marks Fuji...sounds intriguing and I need to upgrade anyway.

It would seem reasonable to base the price similar to any other piece of A/V equipment. Look at what you can get one for now, new and then discount accordingly for usage....say 20-30% per year. So if the Fuji cost $9,000 one year ago, sell it for $7,200...but wait these go for roughly that new, so discount again to $5,400, expensive to have to "write off" $3,600 in one year, but that is the cost you pay for the latest and greatest.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanx for the feedback everyone... I agree with the idea of hunting down sales of the plasmas online, but like you say, there aren't a lot of used ones out there to find comparative pricing!

As for my reason for selling, it would be simply to upgrade. I love the Fujitsu, and there's nothing wrong with it. Just looking at a 50" unit perhaps, or possibly going in a different direction. No decision on that until I get an idea of what the current unit I have is worth... :)

I would be reluctant to sell this unit to anyone who couldn't see it in person first. While I have the ability to ship it, we all know the risks involved there... I would invite someone to my home for a thorough demo before they were to spend the money on it...

As for my price, the new P42VHA30 lists for the same price that my current unit did ($4999) if I read correctly... A reasonable discount brings that down to the low/mid $4000 range (let's say $4300-4400). So, possibly a fair price to start with would be $3300-3500 for my used unit?

Bryan

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by carbuff
As for my price, the new P42VHA30 lists for the same price that my current unit did ($4999) if I read correctly... A reasonable discount brings that down to the low/mid $4000 range (let's say $4300-4400). So, possibly a fair price to start with would be $3300-3500 for my used unit?

Bryan
Sounds reasonable, that's a 33% drop from new. Still wondering about the warranty though.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I am looking to buy a 50" 1366x768, would be willing to pickup in California if the price is right. I tried the linked HT Marketplace, but sadly it's full of dealers selling for more than retail.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I also have a Fujitsu to sell. Don't know what is an appropriate price (it cost $11,000).

Fujitsu PDS-5001, 50", 2-years-old (purchased February, 2002). With stand.

It works perfectly well, but it is out of warranty. I make no guarantees.

I'm in NYC, and you'd have to pick it up.

I have had a couple offers, which I haven't yet decided on. PM me, if you're interested.

·
Super Moderator
21,435 Posts
folks we should not push the envelop of what is allowed on the Forum

I think it is OK to discuss how to buy/sell a used plasma and how to determine price , but Forum rules prohibit offering to buy or sell it here

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
So Mark exactly how much do you want for your P50?

Just kidding. :) I would be interested to know if you want to PM me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.