AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way or the best source to determine the fair market value of a projector? I bought several different projectors and one of them happened to be a Hughes/JVC 230sc projector. This thing is a real monster (~250 lbs) and instead of trying to sell it, I was planning to donate it to a charity and just take a tax write off. MSRP in 1998 for this projector was over $60,000, but I also know this is not all that desirable. So, back to my question, what is the best way to determine the fair market value of projectors in general and this Hughes/JVC in particular?

Thanks,

Brian

·
Premium Member
17,249 Posts
That's a D-ILA , but the question is still a good one.

I did the charity donation with a car before, but there are blue books for that and the depreciation over 6 years with a car isn't as drastic as it is with d!%!#@l PJs.

I'd consult a real tax advisor before I'd try to put a 50% depreciation on a deduction form, based on inputs from jokers like us.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just to note, the IRS has announced this year that they are going to scrutinize these types of donation valuations. They feel that people are getting away with inflated vehicle valuations in particular - they highlighted that bluebook values often do not provide an accurate estimate. Of course, they say this every other year and little gets done.

That being said, you could search for completed ebay auctions, or look at the value of replacement parts to reach some estimation. Also, do you have it insured for a specific amount - that would be good evidence of value.

Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Well a mate over here is talking about buying one for about A$1000 or so, just as a throw away toy. So somewhere around US$500-$700 at a guess.

What on earth is a charity going to do with one of those things?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The charity I had in mind was a Christian college. If they couldn't use it they normally have an auction once a year or so of donated items. Then again, if I could find someone wanting to buy it I would probably donate part of the proceeds to the college.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Where are you located?

- David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.