AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to surf several websites to get latest info on HDTV products. It seems most them no longer exist. Can someone advise on a couple of good websties that may have info on announced fall HDTV products (most interested in 40-50" HDTV set). Looks like I might have enough cash in Oct/Nov timeframe to finally buy a set.

------------------

PC Boards Repaired Here!

-- (Ignore the Name) --

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Well, if you don't care about the copy-protection scare, Panasonic's new PT-47WX51 47" RPTV seems pretty nice for about $2000. You can get the PT-47WX49 for a tiny bit less--the difference seems to be a lighted vs non-lighted remote and a "Tinted Advanced Screen Shield" on the WX51 (which doesn't sound like something I'd actually want http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ).

If you do care about copy-protection, and you believe that STBs will have 1394/DTCP connections in the future, you might want to buy Sony's KD-34XBR2 34" direct-view, which is available now in stores for $4K. It has copy-protected 1394/DTCP connections as well as a couple of sets of analog component video inputs. The price difference, of course, is large.

Or, if you want both low price and some protection from copy-protection problems, you could buy Mitsubishi's WT-46809 for about $2000 and upgrade it with a "Promise Module" (ATSC tuner+1394/DTCP+HAVi) for another $1000 later, if you should so choose. I don't know how "new" this model is.

I'm seriously considering buying one of the cheaper sets like the Panasonic or Mitsubishi. Widespread HD cable will be a reality by the time I can get an HD signal in my current situation (living in a townhouse in condo-complex in Del Mar, CA). The probability of getting a roof-mounted antenna of any kind past the association is way low, and the probability of receiving an HD signal any other way is nil. I'll enjoy progressive-scan DVDs on the Panasonic (or whatever) and HD Xbox gaming in the meantime and invest in something bigger a couple of years from now when all the copy protection confusion is sorted out and cable has stopped dragging its feet about HD carriage.

-- Mike Scott

[This message has been edited by michaeltscott (edited 08-31-2001).]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.