AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to http://www.twice.com/html/pagebeta.cfm?InputKey=3584 and some other sources, this Fall TV season (if there is one) will have a significant amount of Promotional DTV commercials. One important idea is that they will promote all local DTV stations available. That's "2" around here but I think this be will big news to the uninformed or the doubters.

The reason this is so important is that most people still think (H)DTV is still years away. If they see and hear about local availability, it's a definite push for more sales of HDTV sets. In the last week 5, out of 7 people I talked to, heard of HDTV. Only one knew there are any local stations currntly broadcasting.

This advertising will increase next Spring. In my area, by that time, 5 stations will be broadcasting.

·
Registered
235 Posts
That's good news. I sure hope thay can resolve this potential strike.

I do agree also that so many people think that HD is not being broadcast at all.

I was in local Best Buy today and over heard three guys talking about the HDTV's they bought but that non of them had yet bought a HD receiver. I jumped into their conversation and mention to them that HD is being broadcasted OTA and on satellite. They looked at me like they had not a clue. One of the guys stated yeah, but who sales the receivers because he had not seen any. I told him that Best Buys sales the RCA DTC-100. He then asked the sales cleark were it was located. Guess what? The kid did not have a clue were it was located. I pointed out that the receivers are sold in the satellite section.

They all immediatly went over to see about it. I don't know if they bought one but at least I made then aware of HD being bradcasted and that there are HD receivers on the market.

·
Registered
345 Posts
When I was shopping for my recevier I went to the local Best Buy to see what they had to offer. I walked about the HDTV's (none with HD on display) looking for the receivers and did not see any. I waited five minutes for the only available sales kid to work his sells magic on a 20" TV, only to have the guy walk away. I stepped up and asked about thier selection of HDTV receivers. He informed me that they do not carry any. While I was walking out of the TV area, another sales guy was coming in so I asked him, just in case. He said, oh yeah, let me show you. I swear this is a true story. The DTC100 was on its SIDE on the second shelf SMASHED between a 20ish inch TV and the end cap of the shelf, hiding in the shadows. What a disgrace. They did have the best price in town, but come on, they are selling the freakin HDTV's!! Shoudnt they be trained to sell these with them? Oh well, I ended up getting the HD5 at Frys.

Steve

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Fry's, now there's a place that you can get customer service . . .

as long as you know exactly what you want and where in the store

it is located. ; )

Actually, Fry's is good because usually there's a well informed _customer_ hanging around that is happy to share knowledge and advice.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Frys had an in store special on the Mits receiver for $750.00 Also they were the only ones with it in town. Of course in typical Frys fashion, they all had that little "been returned" sticker on them except the one I got. I tried to haggle with the manager but the little twirp wouldnt budge. Im not kidding, if this guy was a day older than twenty, I would be shocked.

Steve

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How should they promote (H)DTV ?

#1 they will provide local channels and HDTV programming.

But, I think those spots should also educate the public on HDTV in general.

Also, this will sound stupid but, I think they should stress Wide Screen. Most ordinary people have accepted DVDs. If they get the idea that they will see "The whole picture" ( not my words ) then sales of HDTV sets will increase rapidly.

That is one of the things that drives me nuts. The other is that many people say, "Why do they have to change TV. I like it the way it is.". Those people always have tv's that have oversaturated color, high contrast, and sharpness all the way up. I'm sure you know far too many of them. Remember the commercial with the guy who turns his sharpness control up so far it continues right out of the house. They understand that. They are the public that watches QVC and agrees with the salesman about how good the sound is when he turns it up for them to listen to, through their tv. These people make up the mass buying public. They must be catered to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.