AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

· Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my top 5 faves of all time is getting the red carpet treatment from Warner. I thought I would have to wait years for this on BD.

More proof that Warner has the best films. I'm so hyped for this.
http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/?p=9930

Man I love this movie, most surprising BD news of '08.

Heat is the second most gangster movie ever, I thought that would get a BD release before Falling Down. Hopefully that will be released soon too.

· Registered
42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrage /forum/post/15415676

One of my top 5 faves of all time is getting the red carpet treatment from Warner. I thought I would have to wait years for this on BD.

Heat is the second most gangster movie ever, I thought that would get a BD release before Falling Down. Hopefully that will be released soon too.

I LOVE Falling Down, and sorry to (mildly) threadjack, but what OTHER movies make up your list of "most gangster" movies? I can't say I agree with Heat, it was great until the end
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) DeNiro should have killed Pacino for it to be a better story/more realistic
although it seems to be a habit of Michael Mann's to ruin very interesting, engrossing movies with the ending...Collateral anyone where
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) he did the same thing with heat and had a freakin wet behind the ears cabbie kill a seasoned professional killer, it just took me out of the movie completely

So yes, Falling Down is a great flick and it's awesome to see it come to Blu but what else is gangster (in the way you're describing it)?

My Tops:

Goodfellas

Scarface

Kill Bill Vol. 1

Arlington Road (now there's a movie with a GREAT ending)

and some more i can't think of right now.

· Registered
6,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrage /forum/post/15415676

Red carpet? It's getting a book. And probably a BD-25. That's it. Where's the red carpet?

That's more like a welcome mat.

· Registered
1,072 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC /forum/post/15416193

Red carpet? It's getting a book. And probably a BD-25. That's it. Where's the red carpet?

The book releases are their "premium titles." And no info whatsoever has been announced besides that, so way to be negative.

· Registered
3,636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC /forum/post/15416193

Stop spreading FUD. You have no clue whether its BD-25 or BD-50.

Tomorrow will probably be sunny on the East Coast.

Neither statement means squat.

· Registered
2,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Reloaded /forum/post/15416320

The book releases are their "premium titles." And no info whatsoever has been announced besides that, so way to be negative.

The books are more for their older or "classic" titles. Nothing about getting a digibook release says it won't be a typical filtered Warner transfer on a 25gb disc with only standard DD audio.

If any studio has earned skepticism over their releases, it's Warner.

· Registered
174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation /forum/post/15416411

The books are more for their older or "classic" titles. Nothing about getting a digibook release says it won't be a typical filtered Warner transfer on a 25gb disc with only standard DD audio.

Exactly my thinking. This 'red carpet' comment by the thread-starter was pulled from no where. I'm looking forward to this release, but I'm keeping my expectations low. Just a few weeks ago I saw this movie for the first time, and was completely blown away. If Warner doesn't screw up the blu-ray, I'll buy it day one.

· Registered
6,948 Posts

Quote:

Warner doesnt seem to filter their movies on regular basis, a older anamorphic movie will usually not look like modern Bruckheimer production movie.

And since Falling down is an Anamorphic production from 93, you shoulnt have to high hopes that this movie will look reference, even without filtering.

· Registered
1,072 Posts
RE: "digibooks" being premium titles.

Insider posting on the subject - http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...postcount=2945

Also, just from my experience, the digibook titles are all extremely well done and have significant extra features. I don't think I've seen a "barebones" digibook yet.

and RE: Warner filtering

Yes, there is some evidence of potential light filtering going on with WB titles, so I'm not going to come here and say "every WB title is unfiltered perfection!" But the filtering is very mild, and nowhere near the obvious heavy DNR cases like Patton and Pan's Labyrinth or whatever. The older WB titles, especially, have been wonderful. I can't see someone watching Bonnie & Clyde or Dirty Harry and thinking those are heavily filtered.

So basically, let's wait for the freakin title before the complaints start.

· Registered
Sony 77 A80J, LG 77 C1, 65+55 CX, 65 C8, 55 B7, Onkyo RX50, NR7100 w/ Klipsch Reference Atmos System
939 Posts
$35 catalog titles = fail. I would love to double dip this (if it's a good transfer) because I hate double sided DVDs and snap cases and the DVD I own happens to be both, but I don't care how nice the BD packaging is or how great it looks or sounds, I'm not paying $35 for any movie, but espeically not such an old one.

· Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My red carpet comment was made because Warner reserves the books for their classic titles that have generally affected cinema in some way... at least from what's been released so far.

Falling Down has never been a big title, nor has it ever received a "_____ edition" of any sort. At least to my knowledge.

So the fact that Warner is giving it that special treatment is just icing on the cake, beside the fact that Falling Down is being released.

And Warner doesn't seem to filter their titles anymore(TDK is mostly a IMAX master issue). Every book release and most Warner catalogs(LA Confidential) look fantastic.

They seem to have more issues with new releases like TDK, Speed Racer and Kit Kittredge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaughterX /forum/post/15416807

$35 catalog titles = fail. I would love to double dip this (if it's a good transfer) because I hate double sided DVDs and snap cases and the DVD I own happens to be both, but I don't care how nice the BD packaging is or how great it looks or sounds, I'm not paying $35 for any movie, but espeically not such an old one.

That's SRP. You can most likely get it for just over $20 when it comes out. And $14 or so when it goes on sale. Why do you guys always post complaining about a price that you only have to pay at Circuit City or Barnes/Noble?

· Registered
2,738 Posts
I'm not talking about egregious DNR like what was on the two contracted Fox titles, most of New Line's releases or the early Universal HD-DVD ports. What I am talking about is a light filter that mucks with the grain structure (you still see grain on every title but it often looks almost as if it was clumped together) and removes some high frequency detail to make for lighter encodes. Most Warner encodes, whether they end up on a 25 or 50 gb disc, tend to be designed for 25gb discs.

Warner specializes in low bit-rate, filtered encodes - and most of their problem titles are the new(er) releases, not older films. Dirty Harry, for example, looks great. I'm not saying all of their titles are like that... but I am saying that a large number of them are.

As for the $35 catalog title comment from SlaughterX... it's going to street for $20 to $25, so that comment seems a bit strange.

· Registered
4,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaughterX /forum/post/15416807

Who in their right mind pays SRP? That $35 disc will be $19-$24.

· Registered
1,687 Posts

Quote:

Agreed, the only thing making these special is the book packaging, which might as well be a booklet. No guarantee for lossless, no new extras, no new transfers (any more than the non-digibook releases)

· Registered
6,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation /forum/post/15416899

What I am talking about is a light filter that mucks with the grain structure (you still see grain on every title but it often looks almost as if it was clumped together) and removes some high frequency detail to make for lighter encodes.

Why should they remove high frequency detail to make lighter encodes? If an encoding program doesnt have enough bits, it better that the program itself decides what area it shouldnt waste bits on, then removing all high frequency detail before the encode. It doesnt make sense to remove it before, just in case.

And what movie lacks high frequency detail?

· Registered
2,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede /forum/post/15417006

Why should they remove high frequency detail to make lighter encodes? If an encoding program doesnt have enough bits, it better that the program itself decides what area it shouldnt waste bits on, then removing all high frequency detail before the encode. It doesnt make sense to remove it before, just in case.

And what movie lacks high frequency detail?

I'm really not getting any further into this than I already have. This thread is far enough off track already and you can find PLENTY of discussion regarding this issue throughout the Blu-ray Software forum.

I'm looking forward to seeing Falling Down on Blu-ray. Here's hoping that it comes packaged with HD audio.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.