AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

Tomorrow my builder is going to build the false wall.

He will also create the wood frames that will go around the screen. I plan to wrap the wood frames with black GOM FR701.

I am not a handy person and I don't own many tools. I will like to create the frames tomorrow.

I will appreciate any tools and tips you have for me.

I think I need to buy a staple gun. I have to buy it locally so it will be great if you can recommend a brand that is available at Home depot or Lowes.

A quick search at Lowes revealed a bunch of arrow brand staple guns ranging in price from $16 to $50.

Home Depot has arrow, gardner, stanley and many staple guns ranging from $15 to $500. The staple sizes seem to be 3/8" or 1/4" inch. Which size do you recommend?

Are there any other tools you recommend?

Thanks

PS: I have gone through Big's minimal false wall thread and he only mentions staple gun.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
I used Porter Cable for my brad nailer and staple gun, quality stuff, but still not too expensive. You want to get a pneumatic stapler - I think it would be hard to get consistent staple depth with manual or electric. So that means an air compressor too. I used "narrow crown" 1/4" staples, they worked OK, but if I could have found a 1/2" stapler cheap, I would have gone for that instead. You'll also need a circular saw to cut the frame pieces to size. And a router and bits if you want to roundover the edges on the panels. An orbital and/or belt sander comes in handy too to clean up the edges.

What are you using for the material to make the frames out of? If it isn't precut into strips, you'll also want a rip fence, so you can cut sheet goods (plywood, MDF) into strips to make the frames out of.

Check the GPower fabric frames thread also for more tips from other people, and different approaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehateme
PS: I have gone through Big's minimal false wall thread and she only mentions staple gun.
Ohhhh, Jeff not gonna like that.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,563 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have given my builder links to Big's thread.

I don't know what kind of wood they are planning on using. I am sure they have most of the tools. The only thing they will not do is put a fabric around the frames.

I am sold on the Pneumatic stapler. I hope I can find it locally.

I am going to read GPowers thread tonight to learn more.

I will be making acoustic panels in future so I don't mind spending money on good tools.

I had never heard about Pneumatic stapler and did not know what a brad nailer is.

Friday is the last day builder will be at my before the wrap up and leave.

I am still debating if I will be attaching the panel permanently or attach them using velcro or some sort of hinges. The only reason why I am rushing is because builder will not be back after Friday. Due to my lack of handyman skills I wanted to build the panels tomorrow night so he can attach them on Friday.

My wife only has one requirement. It is to make sure they look neat. With my skills it is going to be a challenge.

After reading the GPowers thread I will determine if it will be realistic for me to make all the panels tomorrow night. I want to do this right so most likely I will order the Pnematic stapler from Amazon and slowly work on the panels this weekend. I can always ask the builder to come back or attach the panels on my own.

I have never used industrial velcro so I am not sure how strong it will hold these large panels. My 2 year son is going to be rough on the detachable panels and I don't want him to get hurt.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my numerous posts.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts

This little setup ran me $99 on sale at Lowes.

While this might not last forever, I did my screen wall panels (1x2's, I wasn't as sweet as Brad) and put OC703 in them. I then copied Brad and bought his speaker fabric from RoseBrand.

Everything went real smooth with that compressor, plenty of power. Comes with 1000 staples and nails which you go through fast. Functions as a 2-1 brad nailer and crown stapler.

If you don't have a compressor check it out. Can fill tires as well, but anything above (even heavy duty framing) you are out of luck-not enough pressure.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I agree with all of the above. A pneumatic (air) stapler is the way to go. My cabinet guy loaned me his stapler (1/2 wide staples) and it worked great. I have a crown stapler (1/4 wide), and did have to use it for some things, and it worked too. I prefer the 1/2, but the 1/4 would work, probably using a few more staples.

You can but it all locally. You'll find quite a range of prices depending on brand/quality. The compressor is great for other things as well. I use mine all the time, a lot of the time just to blow compressed air to clean things.

You saw the acoustic panels I made (21 of them), and it worked out fine.

You can sure swing by and I can help you out and use my tools, but the drive would take longer than it would take to make the panels. It only takes a few minutes each.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will any compressor work?

I already have a el cheapo 2/3 HP 3.3 AMP air compressor. Is that powerful enough for 1/2 Inch staples with Porter Cable Pneumatic stapler?

If it is not powerful enough what compressor did you guys end up buying with this stapler.

flyt100

Based on how things go I will bring the panels to your place to make a couple to get the hang of it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
As an option, have you considered fabric track systems? They run more expensive but are real easy to install. Check out Fabricmate.com I am sure there are others. You can find all the tools you need for installing the fabric from them as well as other materials for acoustic treatment. Good luck!

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,563 Posts
IMHO the track systems are best for on wall applications. I think Heha is building removable panels for the false wall and it is a simple task to wrap the frame with fabric and staple on the backside.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/0

IMHO the track systems are best for on wall applications. I think Heha is building removable panels for the false wall and it is a simple task to wrap the frame with fabric and staple on the backside.

Thanks Big. I actually bought extra for my room to do the walls and false wall. Hope it works out ok to use the track for the front. I was lead to believe that it was. If not, I

have my stapler at the ready! Thanks for the feedback anyways.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.