AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 1010 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Back Soffit

I have been second guessing my original though on the back soffit and as a result have come up with a couple of options.
What also play's into this is the rear surround speakers and there ideal locations

I really like what @d_c did with his stealth surrounds

Each option has there own pros and cons as I see them.
When I mention closed in or open feel I am more referring to the sense or feeling not the physical (like a wall), not sure if they are the right terms but hopefully you get what I am talking about.
I am showing them all in plan view but if needed I can do them from different angles.
Also I may want to one day do a rear bar with stools.

Let me know what you think and if there are some other ideas that you may have.

Option 1 (original plan)
This was the first idea I had on the back soffit and thought that where the wall jogs would be a good natural place for the transition to a soffit. I re looking at it, it also makes the area when you come through the double doors feel smaller.
Pros: natural transition from jog, good separation for the rear surrounds
Cons: Close in entry area, no hush box

Option 2 (soffit / hush box)
What about moving it up significantly to where the projector would be, this actually it very close to where the columns are and might look "structurally" better and divide the spaces more evenly. This soffit could also be made deeper to accommodate the projector. I didn't fully trim off the light tray
Pros: get a hush box,
Cons: not ideal for surrounds in soffit, hush box dimensions could limit future projectors, close in theater area to much?

Option 3 (in between)
Another though was some where in between the original and the hush box soffit
Pros: could possibly do surrounds in soffit, more area for entry part
Cons: no hush box, "un natural" location
No picture for this one but I could draw one up if it is thought to be viable

Option 4 ( No rear Soffit at all)
In the interest of open concept what about no soffit at all
Pros: keeps open feel
Cons: no hush box, no surrounds in soffit,
Other (not sure if a pro or con): u shaped light tray

Option 5 (open to your ideas)

Pros: probably better than my ideas
Cons: It wasn't my idea

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
The way I did the surrounds was a LOT of work. I'm not sure that having them angled vs flat on the wall makes that big of a difference, but I didn't want to take any chances. I could have saved 80 hours of labor with them flat on the wall and simple rectangle boxes. I'm very happy with the result though.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
The way I did the surrounds was a LOT of work. I'm not sure that having them angled vs flat on the wall makes that big of a difference, but I didn't want to take any chances. I could have saved 80 hours of labor with them flat on the wall and simple rectangle boxes. I'm very happy with the result though.
I have no doubt that they were a LOT of work and they do look great. The stealth of them when covered is real nice also.
Where I am thinking of using your idea is for the rear surrounds, the side surrounds will be in columns.
Hopefully having them at different elevations isn't a huge compromise but I don't know how I could get them at the same elevation given my room layout.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Minor update
Got the one 32 foot wall with 3 windows fully sealed up with vapor barrier and electrical rough in
Move on to the other wall where we are going to mount our 55" Samsung, just trying to figure the best way to run a conduit for low voltage and HDMI. Another trip to Lowes, ever time I go its at least $100, the price of progress I guess

Hope to get some feed back on the options for the rear soffit I mentioned about

Thanks

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I know it's silly but I was excited to score 6 feet of 2" x 1 1/2" Panduit for free yesterday.
That stuff is not cheap to buy and will come in real handy for my cable management

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
I like option 1 for the surrounds in the soffit
Thanks d_c for feedback.
Just realized I might have a conflict with light tray and your angled recessed speaker design
Do you think there is any room to reduce the height of your design?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Good to know, the soffit is designed at the moment to be 13" tall (finished) but then I loose ~1.5" to drop ceiling...... trying to fit crown moulding light tray and the speaker will be tight.... time to rethink....

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Interesting, looking a the specs on the Volt 6 vs 8
The V-6 is 93db sensitivity with 10-300W at 0.2 cube
The V-8 is 94db sensitivity with 10-400W at 0.65 cube
From my understanding (limited) the 1 db difference in sensitivity is negligible. If there is 3db increase for every doubling of watts then
The V-6 would do ~ 118bd at full 300W
The V-8 would do ~ 120db at full 400W
I'm sure I am missing something here but why choose a V-8 over the V-6 for 2db?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
The 8 extends lower, which might not matter depending where you like to xo to your subs. Audessey wants to cross my rear surrounds at 50hz, but I set them all to 80hz.
I'm not to sure where to xo, still learning....
Found the V-8 speaker data sheet (http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Beta_8CX.pdf) (95-3300Hz) but the V-6 isn't that clear on DIYsoundgroup as it just says Custom 6.5" coaxial

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #94 (Edited)
Weekend update

Got a little more done on the weekend.
All exterior walls are now complete with rough in electrical and vapor barrier modification, now I have a pile of plastic to get rid of... what a waste. Ran out of tuck tap with only 10' left to cover... go figure. Got to finally play with my new Kreg jig, I can se where that's going to be used a lot, very handy! Took a bit of farting around with the height measurement for 1 1/2" material..... then I seen the marks on the other side with the material thickness.... guess I should pay better attention :eek:

Part of the roughing in was for a wall mount TV that we will have down in the basement for my wife's casual TV viewing and exercise videos, she has expressed a couple times that she doesn't want to be watching TV on a big screen so this was the compromise.

Picture of bracing and conduit that I will use for low voltage wires before insulation. For the conduit I used a scrap piece of 1 1/2" ABS that I had laying around. Drilled a 2" hole through top plate..... that was ignorant as right there was a pitch vein that stuck to the hole saw and made a mess.

Closer different angle view, also added a protective plat so that I don't screw through conduit when hanging drywall. Used pipe strapping to secure.... she ain't goin anywhere

Finished, vapor box for the low voltage is a double gang one for a little extra room

On another note, when my cousin was here to do the HVAC reroute he added this to my ladder.... Got to say its the best mod to a ladder I've seen in a long time. Great for hanging things off of and supper easy to do

Also ordered a 30ft redmere HDMI, Tilt TV wall mount, Coax crimpers and speaker banana plugs from Monoprice..... love that place. But man the shipping for that wall mount was a killer...... it easily added $40USD, probably cause it forced the order to DHL instead of mail. OH well still cheaper than getting locally.

If possible some more feed back on the rear soffits options would be great

Thanks

What is going on with the images under attachment being so large..... am I doing something wrong?????

Attachments

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Good progress! I like the tip on the clip on the ladder, as well. Slick.

No, you're not doing anything wrong with the images. It's either a new (terrible) feature on AVS or a bug.

EDIT: it looks like that was intended as a feature, but was so poorly received that they will revert it. That said, the initial comment that it would be reverted was a week ago and it's still there, so who knows the timeframe.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Good progress! I like the tip on the clip on the ladder, as well. Slick.

No, you're not doing anything wrong with the images. It's either a new (terrible) feature on AVS or a bug.

EDIT: it looks like that was intended as a feature, but was so poorly received that they will revert it. That said, the initial comment that it would be reverted was a week ago and it's still there, so who knows the timeframe.
Ya the clip, its surprising how a minor mod like that can be so beneficial. Good to know on the attachments.

Hate to be a pest but do you have any opinion on the rear soffit options in this POST, I know ascetics are a personal choice but there is an audio impact also in the options

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Hate to be a pest but do you have any opinion on the rear soffit options in this POST, I know ascetics are a personal choice but there is an audio impact also in the options
I don't really have any strong opinions on that -- you did a good job of listing the pros and cons and yeah, they each have their unique advantages and disadvantages. That's the type of thing I'd be obsessing over for a very long time!

Some thoughts, though.

Having rear surround speakers directly above you can work and they do have a sense of surround separation, but it's nowhere near as pronounced as when the speakers are farther back. Having done the ceiling surrounds before, I wouldn't do them again (except for temporarily, like I'm doing right now).

Regarding a hush box... projectors are definitely audible components -- more so in high light output modes than "echo" modes -- but in my experience, that tends to disappear while actually watching a movie. That is, I can distinctly hear the projector while I'm choosing the movie and getting ready, but never hear it during the presentation. That said, I haven't yet watched any "quiet" movies AND the projector notably behind me and not above me. I set up my theater so that I could add a hush box if necessary, but it's not looking like it is necessary after all.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
That's the type of thing I'd be obsessing over for a very long time!.
That's where I am right now..... obsessing

Some thoughts, though.

Having rear surround speakers directly above you can work and they do have a sense of surround separation, but it's nowhere near as pronounced as when the speakers are farther back. Having done the ceiling surrounds before, I wouldn't do them again (except for temporarily, like I'm doing right now).

Regarding a hush box... projectors are definitely audible components -- more so in high light output modes than "echo" modes -- but in my experience, that tends to disappear while actually watching a movie. That is, I can distinctly hear the projector while I'm choosing the movie and getting ready, but never hear it during the presentation. That said, I haven't yet watched any "quiet" movies AND the projector notably behind me and not above me. I set up my theater so that I could add a hush box if necessary, but it's not looking like it is necessary after all.
Current thought is V-6 speakers in the back corners high in the soffit, not sure is angling to the MLP is a good idea, Thoughts?

This fits with the recommended angles but the height "is what it is" with no rear wall to put them on

Thanks for your thoughts on the hush box..... I have also been thinking of a plant "B" for that, if I don't build the soffit there

·
Registered
11,866 Posts

There is a school of thought that I mostly agree with, that you should rotate the speakers to the lesser degree angle in a theater where you have that ability - ESPECIALLY, perhaps exlusively? in a home theater with multiple rows.

IIRC, some well experienced people like @beastaudio, and @dlbeck, and @Scott Simonian, @desertdome, etc have even recommended putting your side surrounds slightly before the front row, and putting the rear surrounds on the back of the side wall, (more in a typical surround speaker position) - because our ears can hear the differences in the surround field better that way.

I've not played with that myself, but having sat in a few home theaters where that concept was employeed it does seem to work generally pretty well IMO. It's at least worth consideration. I know I mounted my rear surround closer to the dolby spec placement (using the maximums because of room constraints --- used about 110* for sides, and about 150* for rears) and even though I have two speakers back there, I'd never know if it was the left rear playing or the right rear speaker playing because my ears can't easily identify the diffference unless only one speaker is playing a test tone at at time. In actual content - to my ears - it's all just rear fill the way it is with the Dolby spec - so I might as well have just used a single speaker back there --- this is to my ears anyway. Putting the rear surrounds on my side walls would potentially have given me more of an ability to discern from which side the rear surround speaker is playing.

81 - 100 of 1010 Posts