AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone watched a significant portion of the Family Guy DVDs? I got mine today, and have only watched a few episodes.

What I've seen looks good (and shows how poor my Aquos' internal scaler is).

Any other comments?

-Jon

·
Registered
252 Posts
The picture quality is fair most of the time but it occasionally marred by distracting compression problems.

But the PQ is no where near the stunning 'near super-bit' rate PQ of the recently released Futurama set.

This is probably because more episodes are put on the Family Guy discs.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
One of the funniest shows I've ever seen. As for PQ...
Quote:
The picture quality is fair most of the time but it occasionally marred by distracting compression problems.
Yep that about sums it up. But this show is so damn funny it doesn't matter.

Herm

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
i was disappointed with the pq and commentary. only 8 of the 28 episodes have commentary. :( except for one, all of them had me laughing. the show is fabulous and i have a small hope that cartoon network starts up production again. (cartoon network has already picked up the reruns for thier adult swim.) extras on the set are extremely thin also. but still worth my $40. :D

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
You're kidding? Its on Adult Swim? What day/time? Nevermind, I'll hunt it down for a SeasonPass! Woohoo! More laughing to come!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Does anyone know if the banned episode will be in the box set? I believe it was "once upon a Weinstein"

·
Registered
252 Posts
The banned episode, "Once upon a weinstein" is not in the set unfortunately. But the region 2 release had it.

The only other thing missing is the Bin Laden joke in "Road to Rhode Island."

The Second Volume with seasons 3-4 will be due in September.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Of course the region 2 set has it. oh well i guess i'll have to buy a cheap multi region dvd player. Will the R2 version contain the Bin laden joke as well.

These might seem like tiny things but I hate things like that. Just like some people, myself included, hate when a movie isn't kept in OAR.

maybe a cheap skyworth

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Yep, it would appear that the fake moral hollywood has decided that once again Americans are children and can't handle the truth. What a load of crock. All the more reason not to support the release. I think I'll grab what I can onto my TiVo and not buy the candy wrapper.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
IDK, I'm surprised that they released this at all. I'm glad they did - the Family Guy is my type of humor. Even with some cuts, etc... I think the set is worth it just for posterity. Humor such as "because there's an evil monkey in my closet" doesn't come around that often :D

Still, there are some strange artifacts on this disc. Even my NRS doesn't do a very good job on some of this material. It's most visible on straight, horizontal lines which appear to "twiddle"... I'm wondering if this is due to [lack of] filtering during the authoring of the disc, or if it really just throws deinterlacers into fits?

-Jon

·
Registered
28,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules343
Of course the region 2 set has it. oh well i guess i'll have to buy a cheap multi region dvd player. Will the R2 version contain the Bin laden joke as well.
The Bin Laden joke is not in the Region 2 copies either. It never made it to home video. The "Once Upon a Weinstein'' episode is rumored to be coming with the Season 3 box set. Although it was produced originally to be part of Season 2, the R1 DVDs present the shows in broadcast order and so it makes sense that an episode never broadcast would be tacked on last (also, Season 3 has fewer episodes than this first box set).

The R2 DVDs have none of the supplements found on the R1 set, and are of even worse video quality. There is no sense in importing them unless you are desperate to get the third season right now.

Quote:
Originally posted by yubyub
Still, there are some strange artifacts on this disc. Even my NRS doesn't do a very good job on some of this material. It's most visible on straight, horizontal lines which appear to "twiddle"... I'm wondering if this is due to [lack of] filtering during the authoring of the disc, or if it really just throws deinterlacers into fits?
Someone associated with the show's production has stated on the DVDTalk forums that the jagginess is an inherent part of the video master, caused due to the slap-dash production techniques used to throw the show together in the first place. He claims that video recordings of the over-the-air broadcasts demonstrate the same problem, but it is made more noticeable due to the clarity of DVD.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WanMan
You're kidding? Its on Adult Swim? What day/time? Nevermind, I'll hunt it down for a SeasonPass! Woohoo! More laughing to come!
Just so everyone knows, its on starting this sunday at 11:30 ET right after Futurama. (another brilliant but cancelled Fox show) It will be on Cartoon Network's adult swim, Sunday thru Thursday.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Josh Z

Thanks Josh from the other post I had gathered that the episode would never be released in the US on the DVD set. If it is i'll stick with the R1 version as it will save me the hassle of buying a multi region player.

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Someone associated with the show's production has stated on the DVDTalk forums that the jagginess is an inherent part of the video master, caused due to the slap-dash production techniques used to throw the show together in the first place. He claims that video recordings of the over-the-air broadcasts demonstrate the same problem, but it is made more noticeable due to the clarity of DVD.
Josh Z,

Interresting info. I'm not really referring to jaggies, tho, as much as line twitter. I have seen the jaggies in their TV broadcasts (most noticable on the still frames), but did not notice the twitter on horizontal lines before.

Interresting stuff, tho.

-Jon

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
This must be awfully popular with more than just the forumers, because I have yet to see any copies in the local stores, just empty spaces in the racks.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Yes, CW, it is a funny show. The cheap jokes are abound. Even when you are expecting one they carry it forward with successful conclusion. But, its the cheap gags they manage to surprise the viewers with.

·
Registered
28,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by yubyub
Interresting info. I'm not really referring to jaggies, tho, as much as line twitter. I have seen the jaggies in their TV broadcasts (most noticable on the still frames), but did not notice the twitter on horizontal lines before.
Supposedly it's all there in the broadcast masters, and the Korean animation studio is mostly to blame.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Finally got a chance to watch the DVD's. At first I thought my disc was bad. There's so much of this combing/interlacing artifact. It's very noticable on my PC and only a little noticable on my 27" Sony. Haven't tried it on the bigscreen yet. It's a great show but I'm disappointed in the DVD transfer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.