AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had seen a picture in HT Magazine of a historic house home theater - they needed to keep the historic nature of the house, but of course the husband wanted the high tech home theater stuff. So they had a fireplace built with the TV in the mantle and it was on a lift to drop it down from its concealed spot. I thought that was really cool and I was getting tired of the TV above the fireplace. So I took matters into my own hands:

Fireplace TV

Fireplace Complete!

Hopefully this inspires some of you out there looking for an alternative of the fireplace above the mantle. The viewing position in front of the fireplace is perfect. Just can't use the fireplace and TV at the same time, which for us is no big deal as we've got another fireplace in the living room (which we also rarely use).

I used the Whisper Ride lift from Wood Technology. Works like a charm and is reasonably priced. Note now that they have an IR module so you can integrate that into your system (I ordered it after the fact and need to figure out how to conceal that gol dang it). The RF remote works well but I have a Harmony 880 so need the IR.

·
Registered
736 Posts
very cool! what does that whisper ride lift go for? I checked out their site but there is no pricing listed.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Very cool idea! Looks great and well done with the work. How hard is it to get the TV out of there?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook /forum/post/15544913

very cool! what does that whisper ride lift go for? I checked out their site but there is no pricing listed.

Thanks! I think I paid right around $500 for it. The IR module is an extra $60.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPutt /forum/post/15545304

very cool idea! Looks great and well done with the work. How hard is it to get the TV out of there?

Thanks to you too! I hope I never have to get the TV out, but if I do, I may have to hire a contortionist to do it for me. Actually, just need to get my arm behind it while it is partially down to access the four bolts on the back (with a short screwdriver and a couple of people holding the TV so it doesn't fall and crush me). I wish it was one of those lifts that rested on the cross support bars - but if the TV were to get caught up on something it would pop right off the lift so that wouldn't be a very good setup (only for removal).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts