AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've finally started on my Plasma, 5.1 Surround sound installation in my family room. I have many challenges, namely, an open plan house.... I know that most of you have dedicated rooms for this. I alas do not.... It's a project of compromise I guess.

Here is the equipment list....

1. Panasonic TH-50PH9UK

2. Vienna Acoustic Webern L, C & R

3. Speakercraft AIM 8 Threes for Rears

4. Marantz SR7001

5. ATM System 1 External for heat / cooling management

6. Panamax In Wall Powerkit-TL

7. Harmony 890 Remote

8. Dvigear HDMI, S-Video, Component, Coax In Wall Cables

9. Bluejeanscable Speaker cable

10. Halo Recessed lighting

EDIT - New Equipment Added

11. Wii

12. Apple TV

13. Panasonic DMP-BD10A

14. SVS SB12-Plus Subwoofer

15. Lutron Spacer System Lighting

Here is a picture of the room at the beginning. I put a poster up where the plasma would go. Most people in this house plan put the plasma above the fireplace. I value my neck so I refuse to go that route.

As part of this project I plan on putting in a cabinet in the enterrtainment nook area and running cables through the walls etc. A repaint is due too... Something a lot more mellow this time...

The work has begun (first deciding on color scheme)

And then taking out the bottom part fo the entertainment nook.

I decided to go with the chocolate paint by the way... Behrs Brown Ridge (I believe it is...)

Here is the entertainment cabinet before I removed the bottom of the soffit thing... It will have glass shelves and glass front doors with some lighting in the top....

This is right before I am about to take down the dry wall (I painted it all chocolate to make sure that is what I wanted before I go with retexturing etc.) Call me weird but I wanted only one finish of paint on the new drywall!

I have now taken down the drywall and the shear wall to expose the studs...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got to love the Rigid Shop Vac! It's a life saver! Also that 9mm plastic to put down on the carpet when ripping down drywall and shearwall!

Here's the walls exposed...

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,591 Posts
Nothing like jumping in with both feet. It's going to look great when you are done. I salute you for not going over the fireplace route.

But I gotta ask. It's pretty obvious that aren't an arthroscopic surgeon who can do just about anything with a few small holes. Did you really take that whole wall down to run a bunch of cables?????

Those are pretty classy looking speakers you've selected I assume you are planning on the wall mount? So even with building a niche for the Plasma (Which might violate the design specs of the shear wall) did all that stuff have to come off???

·
Registered
580 Posts
Am I missing something here? You painted the wall before you torn it down, then you ripped the wall out so you could install speaker wires? I think there were easier ways to resolve this problem.

BTW, I have the picture you have hanging over your fireplace. Gotta love IKEA.

·
UHD Addict
39,563 Posts
I'm totally confused. You painted the entire wall, then removed the drywall?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah yes, the confusing color scheme.... So yes, I did the crazy thing of painting the room first to get my color choices sorted out. I didn't originally plan on ripping down the dry wall completely etc. But I realized it would be pretty difficult to do everything I wanted without doing that.

Oh, by the way, the room has a few more walls that are chocolate. The amount of drywall I tore down isn't that bad in terms of repainting. I just wanted to make sure I knew what colors to go with.

I've know run the cables... I had a mass. I re-routed some of the original circuit ROMEX to try and keep a safe distance between the cables etc. I also used the soffit form the adjacent laundry room to get the mass of AV cables through.

I've run the basic cables through now....

I just tried the speaker location. I decided I want to move them out further. I need to get 2/3 of the distance that I am sitting from them between them right?

Next I am going to work on putting in the Active Thermal Management System 1 Fan! Time to tare a big hole in my house!!!! Yikes!

But before that I had to break the rules and hook up the plasma to check all my cables still work!

I am not sure I understand the comment on violating the sheer wall specs? I am not building a niche for the plasma. I shall reinforce the studs and hang it. Am I missing something? Yes I have the L & R speakers wall mounted and plan on having the center speaker on low table using the table mount. Progress is moving along nicely... But still a LONG way to go. I need to research the lighting positioning too. Will keep you guys posted!

Matt

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I am sure someone will tell me I broke the golden rule or something... But here's the plasma on the floor with the speakers....

Now back to that external fan.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I've managed to get the fan in. The whole idea here is have it on a thermostat that kicks in at 90F and stops at 80F or whatever I set it at. The ducting will attach to the bottom of that cabinet. The fan should be quiet enough as it is on the outside of the house. I will also be running it at 1/3 speed as the cabinet CF is less than the 100 CFM it can handle.

The hole is cut....

I've got the fan on. Just need to wire it up to the Lutron power inlet which will power it via the thermostat (which I think is an attic fan thermostat that ATM sold me....)

The inside of the fan....

I now need to work on finishing off the cable routing and also reinforce the studs for the speakers and Plasma. I cannot wait to get this all togther!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was going to put up sconces on either side of the plasma... I decided against it when I couldn't find anything I liked the look of. I decided to go with some pictures or something above the plasma and do a kind of wall wash with the recessed lights. What do you think? I plan on having two zones one for the plasma wall and a spot over the fireplace. The other zone would be the general lighting over the sofa area. Has anyone done something similar?

I have a set of challenges with the recessed lights as in the spots I want to put the lights I end up running into my stupid gas pipe!!! Joys of living on a concrete slab...

Anyway, back to the project.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now you got me scared... I've gone racing out to check the insulation in the garage. I think it was just the picture... No not mold, some kind of junk. Glad to report it's not mold! Thanks for checking though as that would be bad news! I am putting in new insulation as part of this project anyway. I also plan on putting insulation in the main wall where the plasma will go, there was nothing there before at all. Probably some R13, I plan on putting (I know it's not a full job and many claim pointless but while I'm at it...) Green Glue on the Shear wall before I put up the dry wall....

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhallida /forum/post/0

I am not sure I understand the comment on violating the sheer wall specs? I am not building a niche for the plasma. I shall reinforce the studs and hang it. Am I missing something?

Matt

I was guessing that one of the reasons you were performing major surgery on the wall was to gain access to the studs to create a Niche that the plasma might have been recessed into.

I guessed that the sheer wall was a seismic construction code item and that the OSB panels provide the lateral strength to keep the wall stable during an earthquake. If you removed the OSB to create a Niche you would be significantly compromising the resistance to lateral movement.

So tonight I decided to read up on Sheer walls and found this Power Point training presentation for contractors.

http://www.abag.ca.gov/bayarea/eqmap...ch3/sld001.htm

It turns out my assumptions were pretty much correct. When a window is installed in a sheer wall, special additional blocking is required. Similar blocking would be required to create a niche.

Bottom line is to be sure to put either OSB or plywood back on that wall. Be sure to make sure you use the required number and type of fasteners. You really don't need additional blocking for a Plasma with plywood covering the wall. Not sure with OSB.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah yes... No, I am not messing with the Shear Wall. There will be no niche for the plasma. If I had done that I would have built it on top of the shear wall or something. After taking down the shear wall. I think it was the right move as I needed to reroute existing romex and some other things, plus the path for the cables ended up being different than I planned after I saw what was down there to play with. I think I will end up with a better install because of it. OSB and some nails doesn't cost much. The drywall isn't too much. Given the extent of the drywall patching I would probably have to skim it anyway to get a nice finish. My wife wouldn't go with a patched look on that particular wall.

Tonight I got my recessed light cut outs and romex pulled through... What fun that was....

·
Registered
3,675 Posts

Quote:

Ah yes, the confusing color scheme.... So yes, I did the crazy thing of painting the room first to get my color choices sorted out. I didn't originally plan on ripping down the dry wall completely etc. But I realized it would be pretty difficult to do everything I wanted without doing that.

Don't feel bad. I built a riser within my theater and then tore it down. When asked why I did that, my answer was that I wanted to make sure I put the electrical outlets on the wall above the riser at the right height.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I've started on the lovely job of patching dry wall holes.... I had to move the recessed lights slightly to get them out of the way of a gas pipe.

I also came up with a better routing for my cables. This time it goes straight into the ceiling of the soffit. Then drops down the back of where the cabinet will be.

I also put some blocking in for the Plasma Mount and the Speakers....

Progress is still being made....

Matt

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
based on your work (I.e. tearing down drywall) is it safe to assume that this is the first floor of a 2 story house...or a room that has a floor above it?

Also would it have been possible to run conduit for the cables in case you want to change them out in the future?

Looks like loads of fun.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes it is a two story house. The conduit question.... I decided that I would not run conduit, at least for the cables that I have to put in right now. I actually thought that running conduit would be difficult to be honest given the path I have. I did think about running conduit for the sections... i.e the plasma up to the top corner soffit, I think you can see that in the pictures. There is no way I can make a path that will be an easy replacement pull. I am still toying with whether i should run a conduit for the future. I don't plan on being in this house in 7 years or so...

I've run the following

1. HDMI

2. Component Video

3. S-Video

4. Coax

I am hoping that should keep me going. I am nervous though of a cable break for some reason though. What do the rest of you think? I could run a low voltage conduit and have known access points...

·
Registered
527 Posts

Quote:

I've run the following

1. HDMI

2. Component Video

3. S-Video

4. Coax

I'd add ethernet and serial, just in case.

-drin

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I would actually probably replace the coax with another HDMI (of course it depends on the devices you are going to attach). You can always use a splitter for the low resolution sources if you have more than one (I.e. VCR, BetaMax, etc)

1 - 20 of 168 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.