AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm having work done on my family room, which is a nice size rectangle, about 600 sq ft. I spent majority of funds on new ceiling and some book-shelves, but I think I might be missing out on major audio opportunities so thought I would ask the experts (I'm clearly an audio novice). I would love to be able to do this myself. Obviously I would lean on you experts for advice, but my guess is that this method will be more economical than having an home audio expert come into the house.

Background:
First work being done is to an old drop ceiling, which will be dry-walled to be much more appealing and clean looking. It will have canned lighting installed. Once that is completed and book shelves are in, my plan is to split the room down the middle length wise- South side is carpet. North side is flooring. There is no wall separation, just a support pole in the middle of the room. Carpet side have a flat screen hung on West wall. Flooring side will have another flat screen hung up on same West wall (North/South sides of room are only separated by stairs going down to a basement, so think of the west wall being only interrupted by a stairwell going down to basement). Carpet side will have couches in semi circle shape (TV, gaming, DVD, Receiver is the thought here). Flooring side will have a card table, possibly pool table, small portable bar on the east wall, so that the flat screen here will mainly be used for TV watching (sports).

Questions for the forum:
1. Do you think that I should have ceiling speakers installed for both music and TV sound? The plan is to have only one TV on at a time, not both. Therefore, I would like for sound from both TV's to utilize all speakers. Doesn't have to be split by room side.

2. I'm open to any thoughts on set up. I just didn't want the ceiling drywall guys to start until I got this answered. I really don't have knowledge of audio/video components to buy, so this forum will be my education spot.

Let me know if a room drawing is necessary. I could post one but it's not with me at the moment. Thanks in advance for your advice.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Treating this as my own, and a clean-sheet design...

I'd put the theater on the North side, where the window never sees the sun, and plan on dark curtains for the northern East-wall window. Darkness matters; you may want blackout curtains on all windows.

I'd plan on two independent audio systems, as home theater audio is tightly bound to screen action, so screen-to-speaker placement is critical. The theater side would be as close to "by the book" as possible, with conventional speakers aimed at or across the listening area and optimized subwoofage. The other side would have LCR around the screen, but perhaps ceiling speakers in the body of the room as surrounds/rears. I'd design it with the expectation that this system would rock when used in "all speaker stereo" mode for parties, but perhaps reserve the subwoofage for the theater side so the foundation isn't jeopardized. .

You need to plan for an AV closet, or furniture to house the gear.

And you'll need some degree of room acoustic treatment. Assuming this room is at least partly below grade, that includes bass traps. but furnish it first, as the furnishings may do most of what you need.

Have fun,
Frank

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Mixed carpet and hardwood will make the room look dated from the start. Do one or the other and honestly, just do the hardwood. I'd suggest Cali Bamboo if you can afford it. Earth friendly and several times harder than oak.

You think it doesn't matter, but someday you'll sell and you'd be surprised at the dumb little things people become fixated upon. You can always throw a rug down on one side.

In terms of the ceiling speakers, what are you plans for speakers in general? how important is the audio to you? Will you be using towers? In wall speakers up front? How much are you looking to do to wire it all appropriately in terms of wires in walls, etc?

I think you need to define the use a little mroe. Willl you show sports games? Do you want 5.1 at each TV for that or is one area for watching TV, gaming, etc, fine with the second area just served by some stereo sound?

It looks like a great room. Let us know more of what you're planning out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts